Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do I open up my iPod?

How do I open up my iPod?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 07:12 PM

OK, I got a new battery for my 30Gb 3G iPod, but I didn't buy the one that comes with the plastic tool. Does anybody have any tips on how to open it? This is the hardest part about changing the battery withgout damaging the case.

Any tips? Any suggestions? I looked all over for plastic screwdrivers and tried different methods, but I can't budge it.

Help!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 07:10 AM

Well, the iPod advice in this forum is pretty pathetic.

For anyone else who searches and eventually finds this post, here is my answer:
I grabber two pocket knives based on advice found on "teh intarweb" and used the thin, flat blades the long way to carefully pry open the side of the iPod, pushing the blade under the metal and prying the plastic side inward and the metal cover outward and away from the plastic.

Sometimes I help one knife in place, and slid the othe one along the side to help open it up. Once the first clips started giving way, the rest tended to pop out.

The rest was just ollowing OWC's instructions on replacing the 3G battery. It charged overnight and the wife is testing it now. We'll see if it truly was the battery or if the iPod has another problem.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 09:02 PM

Success. We now have an 8-hour battery lifed iPod again.

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 11:08 PM

Congrats!
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Well, the iPod advice in this forum is pretty pathetic.
Well, I was going to offer to mail you the tools that came with my battery. I'm sure that'd qualify as being helpful.

Nemo me impune lacesset

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 01:11 AM

I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now. There are excellent video guides to disassembling your iPod here: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...directory.html

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
Well, I was going to offer to mail you the tools that came with my battery. I'm sure that'd qualify as being helpful.

I appreciate the offer, but I was hoping that after 12 hours I would have had at least ONE suggestion. I didn't mean to offend those who do contribute on this forum. In the end, I should have done a detailed search before posting.

Anyway, now the information is posted for all to see. I'm sure someone will need it later.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 10:30 AM

Just bustin' 'em on ya. I saw your post when you first put it up, but I was at work and tied up. I meant to get back to it later and forgot about it. Sorry about that.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules