Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got a new ride!

Got a new ride! (Page 5)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2010, 11:47 PM

PREDICTABLE PREDICTABLE!!!!!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2010, 11:47 PM

I see no bling.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 21, 2010, 12:11 AM

Compared to what he drives it is pretty blingin'. Truth though, it is not blingy. He just likes middle aged lesbian type cars.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Compared to what he drives it is pretty blingin'. Truth though, it is not blingy. He just likes middle aged lesbian type cars.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 21, 2010, 01:01 AM

Those wheels are totally obnoxious, outrageous, and ostentatious.

Three o-words. Yep.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post

Three o-words. Yep.
Sounds just like this one guy on a forum I visit.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2010, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@macaddict
I'm not sure why you had manuals so much, they're fun to drive. Your perception is skewed by the American stereotype that only sports cars have manual transmissions: if all your regular (slow) cars have a manual, then your associations are very different.

I find manuals much more pleasant to drive and if there is snow and ice on the roads (especially mountain roads), manual transmissions allow you more control.
I'm not American, and I greatly enjoy driving a manual transmission. Though not quite as much as I enjoy playing devils advocate.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2010, 10:04 AM

Three o-words. Yep.
Then don't pay the $950 to upgrade to them! Keep the standard 17" version. Or pay the same money to buy another pair from VW or find your own. There are simple solutions to every problem. Disliking a car because of the wheels that you can buy is sort of like disliking Cameron Diaz because she could wear a baggy sweater one day.

OreoCookie
Sep 21, 2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
I'm not American, and I greatly enjoy driving a manual transmission. Though not quite as much as I enjoy playing devils advocate.
I didn't pay close enough attention to your location, as a first approximation North America = USA
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I didn't pay close enough attention to your location, as a first approximation North America = USA
Nice, I also like to say that "East Asia = China," so much easier that way
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Story?
Not much of one. I drove through a ford I have driving through regularly (once or twice a week) for years and this time managed to suck water in to the air intake. Water got in the cylinders, pistons broke, car get written-off. It would have been several £1000 more to repair all the damage than the car was worth.

Bad luck + a bit of stupidity = suck. No more ford for me.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2010, 06:57 PM

Did you drive through a ford or a fjord?

Railroader
Banned
Sep 21, 2010, 07:38 PM

Or a phord?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
a ford or a fjord?
One's a Scandinavian car company, and the other's - I can't remember the punchline, but your mother's a whore.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 06:45 AM

Driving through Fords is best attempted with bulldozers, not Audis.

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 07:44 AM

That was supposed to go through Dent, not Ford.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2010, 11:26 AM

Details

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2010, 12:36 PM

Moderators have convinced me that the MkV GTI is the best car in the world. I retract everything I said, it is absolutely stunning and exceptional in every category. I hope to one day sell all my other vehicles and purchase a MkV instead.
Is that how you remember it?
Nemo me impune lacesset

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 22, 2010, 08:57 PM

It is better than almost anything. Even vagina.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 09:33 PM

Well, I love to drive vagina, but you normally don't get very far

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 09:57 PM

You're holding it wrong.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You're holding it wrong.
"That," as they say, "is what she said."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 10:14 PM

Might have also been what he said too.

Oh dear.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2010, 10:38 PM

Sort of O/T, but whatever... Rob, what do you think of the Porsche PDK Transmission? I'm considering the 911 as my next purchase.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 10:53 PM

Aha aha aha, oh no you didn't!

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 23, 2010, 12:14 AM

911s are cool, but I'd get one with a real manual. Whatever the enthusiast wants, that is the one that is going to retain value, and be more iconic. Think anybody wants a V6 1970 Cuda? Or a automatic non-S mini?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2010, 01:39 AM

I wouldn’t mind the mini actually.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 02:05 AM

Blech, the base Mini has a CVT, which I hear has serious reliability issues. Best to get the slick manual.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2010, 02:08 AM

Or best get the car that doesn’t not allow me to go feel my fiancé when she gives me that certain look while i’m driving

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 09:29 AM

When did this happen?!?!?!?

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I wouldn’t mind the mini actually.
I think you misunderstood. I meant that the only collectable, worthwhile mini that is worth owning, is a mini cooper. A base model mini is rather pointless, and worthless.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2010, 04:38 PM

911s are cool, but I'd get one with a real manual. Whatever the enthusiast wants, that is the one that is going to retain value, and be more iconic. Think anybody wants a V6 1970 Cuda? Or a automatic non-S mini?
I sort of see your point, though I'd contend with the 'iconic' bit. The thing is, I'm buying the car for me, not for the next guy. A car is not an investment, I don't really care what value it retains, I want to enjoy it while I have it. I was asking more from a performance standpoint, really.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

You're trying to reason with him? To explain to him that different people have different priorities? Good luck with that...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I sort of see your point, though I'd contend with the 'iconic' bit. The thing is, I'm buying the car for me, not for the next guy. A car is not an investment, I don't really care what value it retains, I want to enjoy it while I have it. I was asking more from a performance standpoint, really.
For outright performance, you have to get the PDK with the sport chrono package.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2010, 07:28 PM

I think you misunderstood. I meant that the only collectable, worthwhile mini that is worth owning, is a mini cooper. A base model mini is rather pointless, and worthless.
I'm not certain that you understand the Mini lineup.

richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2010, 07:34 PM

Is this thread still going......
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2010, 07:51 PM

Or a automatic non-S mini?
My wife has one. She loves it.

On the CVT issue - yes, it has the CVT and I've seen it has reliability issues. We're going to get rid of it around 50000-60000 miles (she only drives about 5000-7000 miles/year) because of this. Actually, the new non-S Coopers (2007+) have a regular old slushbox automatic, probably for tis reason.

And, as I've said, I have an automatic S. Yes. And I love it. I understand the automatic is a trade-off. The trade-off is worth it for me. Different strokes for different folks, man. Deal with it.

And yes, in the US, the Cooper is the base model.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 24, 2010, 02:18 AM

Ugh, I'm not talking about that new overstyled piece of shit. I was referring to the ORIGINAL, hence the non cooper versions. You people are clueless sometimes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 24, 2010, 09:21 AM

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2010, 09:32 AM

Ugh, I'm not talking about that new overstyled piece of shit. I was referring to the ORIGINAL, hence the non cooper versions. You people are clueless sometimes.
Oh so now we're talking about usefulness for COLLECTING, and not actually driving day-to-day. Gee, sorry, must've missed the memo.

If it's important to you to only own cars that 'enthusiasts' would like, great. But, uh, most people buy cars to DRIVE them day-to-day. Clueless? Check your mirror.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 24, 2010, 09:38 AM

I'm saying the cars that are valuable to enthusiasts, are valuable to collectors, which are the "cool" cars. Nobody is ever going to freak out about you owning a porsche with an automatic transmission. Not ever. People who drive appliances might think it is a cool car, but anybody who's into cars will just say "cool bro!" and roll their eyes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2010, 09:41 AM

I'm saying the cars that are valuable to enthusiasts, are valuable to collectors, which are the "cool" cars. Nobody is ever going to freak out about you owning a porsche with an automatic transmission. Not ever. People who drive appliances might think it is a cool car, but anybody who's into cars will just say "cool bro!" and roll their eyes.
Why should anyone else's opinion of your car EVER factor into your purchase decision?

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2010, 10:01 AM

And why would I care what 'enthusiasts' think about the car I drive? I'm more concerned about MY needs and priorities than some random 'enthusiast's'.

As for resale: in the US, anyway: if we're talking about cars PEOPLE ACTUALLY DRIVE (and not 'collectables'), if you're selling a car with an automatic, you have a large market of potential buyers. If you're selling a car with a manual, your market is a few 'enthusiasts'. I drove manuals for 20 years. Every car I sold would have been worth more had it had an automatic at resale time.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Why should anyone else's opinion of your car EVER factor into your purchase decision?
Peoples future opinion of your car drives its resale value. Fair enough if your not bothered in any way about that but most people are. It's a strong reason why people don't buy manual shift Mercedes as they can be hard to sell second hand, or luxury cars without leather.

If you need to bolster the resale on your car then pick a model that will be more popular. It's not the buying decision, just one of them. Rob is quite right with his Mini analogy in this respect. And in calling out the new Mini and a piece of cynical marketing crap.

IMHO
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Peoples future opinion of your car drives its resale value. Fair enough if your not bothered in any way about that but most people are. It's a strong reason why people don't buy manual shift Mercedes as they can be hard to sell second hand
But...but....I thought having a manual shift was ALWAYS better?????? The 'enthusiasts' won't respect your automatic!

And in calling out the new Mini and a piece of cynical marketing crap.
Ever drive one? They're selling well and hold their value relatively well, so I think it's fair to say a lot of people garner quite a bit of utility from them.

IMHO.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2010, 02:20 PM

What value can anyone possibly place on the opinion of a guy that calls you "bro"? Car enthusiast rank towards the top of the list ofpeople who's opinions I don't care about. If car enthusiasts are so concerned about my vehicle, maybe they should start paying for them. I'll gladly drive whatever the uber-cool car guy buys me.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Ever drive one? They're selling well and hold their value relatively well, so I think it's fair to say a lot of people garner quite a bit of utility from them.

IMHO.
Yes, I've driven several. Also, sometimes cynical marketing works. In the case of the Mini it's worked really well.

And yes they are quite good to drive. Personally I would have rather they shelled this pretty good car in a design that was as innovative as the original not a mindless pastiche.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2010, 03:49 PM

So why do you drive that Audi?

The pure excitement of a real family car?

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 24, 2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Um, value? Admiration? Tons of things? If people didn't care what others thought of what they drove, there would be no ferrari, etc, we'd all be driving dodge omnis.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 24, 2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
And why would I care what 'enthusiasts' think about the car I drive? I'm more concerned about MY needs and priorities than some random 'enthusiast's'.

As for resale: in the US, anyway: if we're talking about cars PEOPLE ACTUALLY DRIVE (and not 'collectables'), if you're selling a car with an automatic, you have a large market of potential buyers. If you're selling a car with a manual, your market is a few 'enthusiasts'. I drove manuals for 20 years. Every car I sold would have been worth more had it had an automatic at resale time.
Exactly You obviously don't. You drive boring, unremarkable, appliances. Every vehicle I've owned, was worth more WITH a manual. Because the automatic was less desirable, in every single case. That's because I tend to drive interesting things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules