Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone use/bought flor?

Anyone use/bought flor?
Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 08:32 PM

I am thinking of trying this flooring for the back entrance of our house.

Any one have any experience with it?

http://www.flor.com/

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 08:49 PM

not that brand; but i take up/put down another brand often; our new student center is all raised floor (it is part of the geothermal heating/cooling system and the floor system is the duct work; it also is a LED green building) and it has many areas covered with a tile carpet system.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 10:06 PM

We were actually just looking at that for our new condo. It seems like a cool concept, but who knows how good it actually is.

Let us know how it works out if you actually go with it.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 10:08 PM

I ordered the demo samples.

I am interested in how well the adhesive dots work.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 11:55 PM

I would imagine that it would be fine for putting over existing hardwood or laminate, or to finish (as the OP said) a back mudroom or something.

However, carpet that is installed normally has padding, and while you'd think that a little 1/4" layer of foam on the floor isn't going to make that big a difference, it does. If you were going to be installing that stuff on a concrete slab or even an unfinished floor, I'd have my doubts. Moreso, with the concrete slab, at any rate. My mom's house is on a slab, and her bedroom carpet is very poorly padded. It causes her back and heel pain if she's walking around in there too much (vaccuming and cleaning and the like).

It looks cool, though! I bet it would be an awesome thing to do in an apartment or somewhere that requires temporary modifications/decorating.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jan 27, 2007, 02:09 AM

It's my understanding that there is padding in each piece, equal to traditional carpeting padding.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 09:52 AM

padding is built in; but it is of one thickness and quality. you can't upgrade like you could with traditional carpet (say double thick or high traffic, etc).

never used dots; but used a roll on tacky substance stuff. as you work with wood i'm sure you have worked with contact cement. sorta similar. you apply it to one surface (the floor) and let it sit for a bit. then, you come back and place the carpet squares. you don't do both surfaces like contact cement though. and, the carpet will come up and re-stick dozens of times before needing to re-apply the tacky stuff. it is a little thicker than paint but rolls on just as easy. you don't have to apply it to the entire surface even.

the "flor" system according their site only sticks to each other with those dots. i wouldn't like that myself. if you notice in all those photos, there is furniture holding down parts of the carpet. that will keep it from moving on you. do you have something in the mudroom to anchor the finished floor?

here is there small sample: http://www.florcatalog.com/flor/imag...eme/colors.jpg that looks to work without having something to hold it down.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 10:01 AM

I used it pretty extensively back in the states. Worked quite well, stickum held firm, looked groovy.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but really convenient.

BTW- one place we used it was one, if not the most, heavily trafficed areas in the house and we had two kids with little regard for the flooring and it never shifted or came loose.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 10:19 AM

good to know; thanks!

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jan 27, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I used it pretty extensively back in the states. Worked quite well, stickum held firm, looked groovy.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but really convenient.

BTW- one place we used it was one, if not the most, heavily trafficed areas in the house and we had two kids with little regard for the flooring and it never shifted or came loose.
Excellent!

Thank also residentevil for your explanation. I am quite familiar with contact adhesives and that made sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules