Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacMini for sister--Can I still get the older version?

MacMini for sister--Can I still get the older version?
NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2009, 10:45 AM

I am considering buying a MacMini for my sister, but am thinking of the older model. Are they available anywhere new? Is it worth the $100 or more/less?

Thanks!
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

P
Oct 25, 2009, 10:56 AM

The most common way to find one is in the refurbished section of the online Apple store, but there are no minis in there right now. You might be able to find them somewhere online if you look around, but often enough, retailers keep selling them at the old price.

Any particular reason you want an older model, or are you just looking to save some cash?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2009, 05:20 PM

I was just looking to save some cash <blush>...
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2009, 06:39 PM

If she is a rather light computer user any Core2Duo Mac Mini will be plenty for her. Any money you save getting an older model will be well spent on extra RAM for the Mini.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2009, 08:58 PM

Apple posts refurbs on their site early Saturday mornings (5AM EST) and on other mornings. Check early and be prepared to spend the money or you will miss out. Refurbed minis always sell out very quickly.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 25, 2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
I was just looking to save some cash <blush>...
There is nothing wrong with saving money and like sek929 said if she is a light computer user then she will probably not notice much of a difference. If you want a new older model then don't look at Apple's website because they will only have refurbished ones and current models. You will have to look at 3rd party dealers like Best Buy and other electronic stores. Usually the bigger chain stores will probably have sold their older models by now to make room for the new models and you probably missed out on some great deals sorry to say.

You will have to look at smaller stores that don't sell off their inventory as quickly and even if you find one there is no guarantee that they will reduce the price because they are still trying to make a profit. It doesn't hurt to look for one though because you might find it. Just open up your local phone directory and call every shop in town. Your best bet in saving money is used or refurbished. Apple sells good refurbished computers but there are other places to get used computers too so shop around.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2009, 11:31 PM

a word of caution about these "other" places. make sure you buy from a place that will include the restore discs.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules