Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where to get OS X discs for MacBook & Mac Mini

Where to get OS X discs for MacBook & Mac Mini
mitchdoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2011, 10:40 AM

Good day everyone,

I have a Mac Mini (model A1176 -- Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, SuperDrive) and a MacBook Pro (model A1260 -- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB HDD, SuperDrive). I am in the process of searching for OS X installation DVDs for each of these computers to re-install Mac OS X 10.5, as when I purchased them, they did not come with installation DVDs.

Is there a good place that anyone here in the forums would recommend to purchase them? I know Apple makes the DVDs for each specific model, but I'm just looking for a place to find them easily (and hopefully, cheaply).

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be fantastic.

Thanks again, and have a great day everyone!

Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 10:54 AM

Leopard is very very difficult to find. Probably because its the last to support PPC Macs. The sell at a huge premium on Ebay, people on Craigslist are selling bootlegs that often dont work.

Its not worth it. Just walk into an Apple store and buy 10.6 Snow Leopard for $30 and youre set.
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

P
Jan 14, 2011, 11:04 AM

Easiest is to buy a copy of 10.6 and install that, unless you need specifically 10.5 for some reason.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mitchdoner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2011, 11:05 AM

Are the Snow Leopard 10.6 discs available in full install format, or are they just upgrades?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2011, 11:16 AM

Full install, but the license is only an upgrade from 10.5.

Since you don't have the install disks, you're also missing iLife.

Either call Apple and order the original disks (at $19.99 a set IIRC), or get the Box Set, which also includes iWork, at $130. Except that you'd legally need the family license for two machines. But then you'd have 10.6.

P
Jan 14, 2011, 07:50 PM

I was under the impression that you had some Leopard version and that the upgrade version would be enough from a license standpoint. To clarify, the Mac Box Set, which also includes iLife and iWork for $129, includes a full license for Snow Leopard.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
the Mac Box Set, which also includes iLife and iWork for $129, includes a full license for Snow Leopard.
for a SINGLE machine.

For two machines, you need the family license.

Forum Links
Forum Rules