Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Lion preview available

New Lion preview available (Page 5)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2011, 10:00 AM

Aw, c'mon.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 17, 2011, 12:58 AM

Weird bug I've started to notice (wish I could get DP3 to see if it's fixed) but when my monitor is connected via Thunderbolt I get regular hangs about every three seconds. Very very weird. Only happens after it's been on for a while, then goes to sleep, and then wakes up and I connect a monitor to it. Bloody weird!

Oh, fun thing I learned though, closing the lid of your MacBook with an external connected just switches to single monitor mode for your big one

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 17, 2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
(wish I could get DP3 to see if it's fixed)

Salty
Professional Poster
May 17, 2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Dude, don't blame me on your inability to get laid.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 17, 2011, 09:34 PM

He's probably rolling his eyes at you for not knowing how to get DP3.
Vandelay Industries

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 12:10 AM

Honestly, DP3 is really hard to get though the non paying money for it channels.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 18, 2011, 01:59 AM

Honestly, DP3 is really hard to get though the non paying money for it channels.
So try to quick, easy and legal way instead?
( Last edited by Andy8; May 18, 2011 at 02:10 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2011, 02:04 AM

You poor, tortured soul.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2011, 02:09 AM

Which costs money.

If he wants to pirate a pre-release, it doesn't affect us, and it won't affect Apple either.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 02:31 AM

Dude, I'm Canadian. Have you heard about how awesome our copyright laws are? It's because every time your politicians try and make our politicians enact laws that don't actually represent what the voting population wants, we raise hell and get them stricken down. (Not sure how we ended up electing a conservative Majority this time but whatever)

So I highly recommend you don't tell me what is and isn't legal, cause the whole world isn't bloody well American. And no, your laws aren't something that I should have to live with.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Which costs money.

If he wants to pirate a pre-release, it doesn't affect us, and it won't affect Apple either.
Thanks Bess. Btw you're gonna enjoy Lion I think, it seems they heavily overhauled Mail. I'm not sure how much of the underlying code was updated... but Mail is bloody awesome!

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 18, 2011, 02:39 AM

Dude, I'm Canadian. Have you heard about how awesome our copyright laws are? It's because every time your politicians try and make our politicians enact laws that don't actually represent what the voting population wants, we raise hell and get them stricken down. (Not sure how we ended up electing a conservative Majority this time but whatever)

So I highly recommend you don't tell me what is and isn't legal, cause the whole world isn't bloody well American. And no, your laws aren't something that I should have to live with.
I don't remember when Hong Kong was part of America.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2011, 03:39 AM

Software piracy is not illegal in Canada?

Look: nobody gives a shit whether others pirate the Lion previews or not. In fact, we thrive on threads like this, filled with salient info on the upcoming release, that wouldn't be possible without either piracy or breaking an NDA.

I pointed out the irony of one of the board's formerly most notorious Bible-thumpers now openly advocating stealing of intellectual property - mostly because I think it's really funny.

But the way you go about it is so plump and doltish (posting a troubleshooting thread on graphics glitches and then mentioning in the third post down that it might be because you're running an — outdated — version of pre-release OS software...I mean. Really? Complaining in this thread that your illegal sources are not supplying you with DP3? WTF. And now, getting all huffy and self-righteous about something that, even if it's not illegal, is certainly of questionable morality...) that it's practically impossible NOT to poke fun an ridicule you for it.

There, I've spelled it out.

I'm done.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 06:08 AM

It's actually incredibly easy. In fact, you can get it for free from Apple.
Vandelay Industries

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's actually incredibly easy. In fact, you can get it for free from Apple.
How, pray tell, without signing up for a registered developer's account and paying $99?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 12:04 PM

I'm not going to spill the beans here. It's more fun to watch Salty twist in the wind. I'll send you a PM.
Vandelay Industries

Salty
Professional Poster
May 19, 2011, 04:11 AM

Apparently software update does it for you. Turns out that the third time I download an install that update it finally bloody well worked. (Contrary to popular belief I'm not an idiot.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2011, 09:00 AM

Contrary to popular belief I'm not an idiot.
Are you going to finish that sentence ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks Bess. Btw you're gonna enjoy Lion I think, it seems they heavily overhauled Mail. I'm not sure how much of the underlying code was updated... but Mail is bloody awesome!

What makes Mail awesome? Any new features?

What would really make me happy is if they finally fixed the lack of threading in the Finder.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Software piracy is not illegal in Canada?

Look: nobody gives a wager whether others pirate the Lion previews or not. In fact, we thrive on threads like this, filled with salient info on the upcoming release, that wouldn't be possible without either piracy or breaking an NDA.

I pointed out the irony of one of the board's formerly most notorious Bible-thumpers now openly advocating stealing of intellectual property - mostly because I think it's really funny.

But the way you go about it is so plump and doltish (posting a troubleshooting thread on graphics glitches and then mentioning in the third post down that it might be because you're running an — outdated — version of pre-release OS software...I mean. Really? Complaining in this thread that your illegal sources are not supplying you with DP3? WTF. And now, getting all huffy and self-righteous about something that, even if it's not illegal, is certainly of questionable morality...) that it's practically impossible NOT to poke fun an ridicule you for it.

There, I've spelled it out.

I'm done.

IOW, if you want to pirate don't be a newb?

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2011, 03:45 PM

Do people expect this release to come in July or August?

I know that's a generic 'we can't answer this question, it's Apple' question, but I'd be interested if anyone has any assumptions..

All sounds great, I've been tempted to put off buying a Mac until Lion comes, but I think I'll just buy this week anyway.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Brien
Professional Poster
May 19, 2011, 03:50 PM

Everyone else is guessing August/September which is when they usually release OS updates, but personally I'm thinking they will release it at WWDC.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Everyone else is guessing August/September which is when they usually release OS updates, but personally I'm thinking they will release it at WWDC.
Which is only in two weeks?

Now I don't know whether to hold off for two weeks.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 20, 2011, 12:56 PM

It's not being released at WWDC. AFAIK there has never been a version of OS X that developers have not had access to extensive tracks at a WWDC before it's release.
Vandelay Industries

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's not being released at WWDC. AFAIK there has never been a version of OS X that developers have not had access to extensive tracks at a WWDC before it's release.
Thanks, I've just been researching this and it does seem more people are with you on this.

They said it's possible that they'd give the dev's the main version of Lion though and then it would be released a month or two afterwards?

Be interesting if they show off a new feature that will 'wow' everyone.

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2011, 03:07 PM

Developers always get the final version of an OS, generally a month before release.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2011, 05:16 PM

Due to NDA, I can neither confirm nor deny the notion that the idea of a WWDC release may or may not be completely and utterly preposterous.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 09:03 PM

Translation: it's far from GM.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 04:15 AM

I know this was brought up previously somewhere (perhaps not this thread or forum though), but it's been noted that the Lion Finder does away with the top right toolbar button. Does this mean that the ability to turn off the toolbar and have each folder open in a new window is also gone? While I've grown to accept browser mode I sometimes still like being able to partially turn it off. This may have already been covered, but if it has been i don't know what the answer is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 22, 2011, 09:50 PM

No, it can still be turned off from the View menu.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 22, 2011, 10:38 PM

Using DP3 now. Monitor bug is fixed (thank God!) The only bug I've noticed is that now QuickTime Player doesn't want to put a movie back to normal size after being in full screen. Nice player still does not work. Nor does Vuze.

Koralatov
Senior User
May 23, 2011, 10:55 AM

Btw you're gonna enjoy Lion I think, it seems they heavily overhauled Mail. I'm not sure how much of the underlying code was updated... but Mail is bloody awesome!
It’s definitely been updated, but they introduced a stinking new bug into when they overhauled it: when you insert an image into a plaintext email, it sends it out as both HTML *and* plaintext email. Previously, it did it right and sent it just in plaintext.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I know this was brought up previously somewhere (perhaps not this thread or forum though), but it's been noted that the Lion Finder does away with the top right toolbar button. Does this mean that the ability to turn off the toolbar and have each folder open in a new window is also gone? While I've grown to accept browser mode I sometimes still like being able to partially turn it off. This may have already been covered, but if it has been i don't know what the answer is.
The button is definitely gone, so you can’t quickly switch between modes now. You have to go into the Preferences menu to switch between modes now. It’s not a huge change, but it’s an annoying one.

freudling
Banned
May 23, 2011, 01:14 PM

Just got into Developer Preview 3, and it's pretty good. Not sure if this was in previous OS X versions, but I just changed my icons on the desktop to have the labels justified right.

Quick way to bring up Mission Control?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 01:23 PM

I don't remember when Hong Kong was part of America.
I think America is a part of China now.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
It’s definitely been updated, but they introduced a stinking new bug into when they overhauled it: when you insert an image into a plaintext email, it sends it out as both HTML *and* plaintext email. Previously, it did it right and sent it just in plaintext.
You mean a multi-part email with proper separation between the HTML and plain text components, or are you actually seeing the content twice?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 01:47 PM

Does this version finally fix the Finder so that there are not blocks when dealing with network volumes such as lags when you click and drag a group of files on a remote volume, and other things that trigger the beach ball?

Does Mail actually behave itself properly and perform adequately with large mailboxes, and does it support IMAP folder subscriptions and multiple identities?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 02:33 PM

One feature I'd really like to see is a "Clean Windows" option for when you're navigating non-HFS volumes so it doesn't leave a trail of ._ files everywhere. Extremely annoying.

I'd also like to see a "Clean Zip" built in option for file compression that gets rid of all the invisible files when I zip something. Maybe hold down the Option key or something.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Quick way to bring up Mission Control?
Four-finger pinch on the trackpad.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
One feature I'd really like to see is a "Clean Windows" option for when you're navigating non-HFS volumes so it doesn't leave a trail of ._ files everywhere. Extremely annoying.

I'd also like to see a "Clean Zip" built in option for file compression that gets rid of all the invisible files when I zip something. Maybe hold down the Option key or something.

Yes!

I'm assuming that there are no signs of a new file system with Lion either?

freudling
Banned
May 24, 2011, 02:49 PM

Really liking Lion Developer Preview 3. More solid, Mission Control looking good. Safari and Reading Lists not bad. Launchpad nice. Mail much better. Calendar is cool with the leather look.

Koralatov
Senior User
May 24, 2011, 03:04 PM

You mean a multi-part email with proper separation between the HTML and plain text components, or are you actually seeing the content twice?
It sends a multipart email, consisting of a plaintext, HTML, and image part:
Code:
--Apple-Mail=_46556B7C-AF43-4A3E-B534-2F2FD2DD7E39 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 […] --Apple-Mail=_46556B7C-AF43-4A3E-B534-2F2FD2DD7E39 Content-Type: multipart/related; type="text/html"; boundary="Apple-Mail=_278F6637-9449-4AFD-B3F7-5E761CF771DB" --Apple-Mail=_278F6637-9449-4AFD-B3F7-5E761CF771DB Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 […] --Apple-Mail=_278F6637-9449-4AFD-B3F7-5E761CF771DB Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: inline; filename="Screen Shot 2011-05-17 at 22.18.01.png" Content-Type: image/png; x-mac-hide-extension=yes; x-unix-mode=0644; name="Screen Shot 2011-05-17 at 22.18.01.png" Content-Id: <755079CC-7524-49DD-BD07-0793676607E8@home>
…whereas before it would send just the plaintext and image parts:
Code:
--Apple-Mail-1-271492827 Content-Transfer-Encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE Content-Type: TEXT/plain; charset=utf-8 […] --Apple-Mail-1-271492827 Content-Disposition: inline; filename="photo 1.JPG" Content-Type: IMAGE/jpeg; name="photo 1.JPG" Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64
It’s definitely a bug, since I’ve set Mail to send only plaintext, and it used to work correctly.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2011, 03:31 PM

If it is ignoring your pref it sounds like a bug to me too, but normally sending multipart emails is not a bad thing. It may not be necessary anymore though since I bet all major email apps support HTML, but I guess supporting provides utility for those that want it, or for viewing badly rendered/botched HTML email.

I can also identify with those that hate HTML email

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2011, 03:38 PM

If it is ignoring your pref it sounds like a bug to me too, but normally sending multipart emails is not a bad thing.
It sent a multi-part e-mail previously as well—it just only had two multi-part streams: a plain text one, and an image one. There shouldn’t really be a need to add a pleonastic HTML stream to it just because an image was added.

but I guess supporting provides utility for those that want it, or for viewing badly rendered/botched HTML email.
Eh? Missing a few words/sentences there?

I can also identify with those that hate HTML email
Why? HTML e-mail has plenty of good uses. It’s not always the better option, but plain-text e-mails are certainly not always the better option, either.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It sent a multi-part e-mail previously as well—it just only had two multi-part streams: a plain text one, and an image one. There shouldn’t really be a need to add a pleonastic HTML stream to it just because an image was added.
What do you mean by an image one? Images are sent as encoded plain text...

[quoteEh? Missing a few words/sentences there?[/quote]

Yeah I mean to say that I guess supporting HTML provides utility...

Why? HTML e-mail has plenty of good uses. It’s not always the better option, but plain-text e-mails are certainly not always the better option, either.
Indeed, but there are times where I'd prefer the plain text version if one was offered over an HTML version, particularly when I get email from people that think it is cute to put their signature in Comic Sans and make the background to their email light purple or something

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2011, 04:20 PM

What do you mean by an image one? Images are sent as encoded plain text...
Sent as plain text, yes, but separated from the plain text into a ‘stream’ (I guess that’s not what they’re called, but what do you call the block that the “--Apple-Mail-1-271492827” sections off?) of its own, with a Content-Type header and stuff of its own.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Sent as plain text, yes, but separated from the plain text into a ‘stream’ (I guess that’s not what they’re called, but what do you call the block that the “--Apple-Mail-1-271492827” sections off?) of its own, with a Content-Type header and stuff of its own.

I see what you mean... I usually call that part the delimiter, but there might be another name for it. Yeah, I don't understand why images are not just being appended to one or both sections somehow.

Koralatov
Senior User
May 25, 2011, 04:18 PM

If it is ignoring your pref it sounds like a bug to me too, but normally sending multipart emails is not a bad thing.
Agreed about sending multipart messages… *if that’s what you want to send*. When it isn’t, and it sends a text/HTML/image multipart email anyway, it’s definitely a bug. What makes it worse is that, previously, it worked perfectly, and it’s only in the new version of Mail that this bug has appeared.

I usually call that part the delimiter, but there might be another name for it. Yeah, I don't understand why images are not just being appended to one or both sections somehow.
That’s how it used to do it, and that’s how it *should* do it.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 29, 2011, 12:58 AM

So the monitor bug is fixed in DP3. It's ironic, I was telling a friend how stable Lion is and how it's close to being ready ... then I went to open up my MacBook and it wouldn't wake from sleep. So obviously Lion isn't quite ready yet.

I've noticed the Finder does not like to restart after crashing. I keep getting an error when I try to relaunch it. This is a VERY frustrating bug right now, gonna have to log out to fix it.

Other than that, don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but QT player can't exit FullScreen mode without loosing the movie it was playing, (Audio will keep going but it goes off screen.) Command W will then crash the app.

Oh, someone was also complaining about Dashboard being a Space earlier. I just noticed in prefs you can change it to not behave like a space. Though I found that while trying to figure out a way to turn dock exposé back on. Turns out I can't figure that out, (I think I'd disabled it in Snow Leopard and the setting stayed but I can't switch it back now.)

Koralatov
Senior User
May 29, 2011, 06:22 AM

So the monitor bug is fixed in DP3. It's ironic, I was telling a friend how stable Lion is and how it's close to being ready ... then I went to open up my MacBook and it wouldn't wake from sleep. So obviously Lion isn't quite ready yet.
It’s probably not the same issue, but when I open my MacBook, it doesn’t wake from sleep until I hit a key, which then brings up the login panel.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2011, 07:12 AM

My DP2 fails to install every time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules