Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP C2D startup issues

New MBP C2D startup issues
boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 10:07 PM

Hi,
I have my MBP for 3 weeks now and normally leave it on all the time (on and off the AC) For the most part it will wake up from sleep just fine.
In the last 2 nights I turned the MBP off before I went to sleep.
When I tried to boot in the morning the machine makes the regular DVD noise but it will keep doing this noise for 3 times, the light on the front will turn on but the machine will not start. There is also no startup chime. No video. When I pressed the power button to turn it off and then on, it will not even make the DVD noise, and will just hang... I had been thrugh nightmare with a first generation MB so I had an idea on what to do -- I reset the PRAM and it starts fine.
This has been happening 2 mornings in a row...
I repaired permissions, went throguh the hardware test, took the battery out, checked the Apple website for firmware updates, and although there was firmware update 1.2 for MBP on 11/13, after launching it, I get a messge that tells me that my computer doesn't need the update.
I get all kinds of weird behaviors and the MBP will become very slugish... the highlight was today while burning a DVD in Toast none of my applications will launch, every application I would click on the dock will just bounce about 20 times and then stop. I couldn't even relaunch the Finder and ended up pressing the power button to force it to shut down. It restarted fine.
I read in at least one thread on the Apple forums that someone had similar problems with a MB and it was resolved by the firmware update.
Does anyone has similar issues or have any idea why my machine will act like this? I rather try to resolve it myself before I call Apple care or go to the Apple store.
thanks in advance.

boazh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 10:09 PM

Opps, forgot the stats:

Machine Name: Mac
Machine Model: MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB