Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bookendz on MBP experiences?

Bookendz on MBP experiences?
mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 02:39 PM

My curiosity was actually piqued by another thread, but does anybody here have experience with the Bookendz dock on an MBP?

I'm mostly interested in knowing whether it minimizes wear and tear on the connectors, and how smoothly the MBP can be removed from the dock. While I've managed to get most things to connect to my MBP through a USB hub, unplugging and replugging the DVI cable is getting tiresome, and often takes more force than I'd like.

Thanks!

osiris24x
Mar 22, 2007, 09:57 PM

From what I've heard, they're quite usable and easy on your laptop. That said, they're rather expensive for what they are. I've emailed Apple asking for a real docking port on the pro series of computers. Hopefully enough people will ask for this, that they'll actually do it eventually.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 09:39 AM

They are usable and they are of good quality (PB G4++), which is the least to expect with that prices. The problem lies elsewhere with Apple:
- moving the ports from the back to the sides (ouch from a dock's p.o.v.)
- still having no motivation for a true dock interface (since the famous PB Duos)

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

mfbernstein  (op)
Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the comments. No retailers around here carry them, so I'm relying on the wisdom of the forum...

I agree that a real docking solution would be ideal (as would a 12" MacBook Thin a la Thinkpad X60). Unfortunately, such a solution, if it is ever implemented, will come about on its own Apple-internal timeline. Hence my question.

Glad to hear that the build quality is good (docking products are not as a rule cheap, so I'm not too surprised).

PB: what G4 models have you tried the Bookendz with? Albook or TiBook? Thanks again.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
PB: what G4 models have you tried the Bookendz with? Albook or TiBook? Thanks again.
Both. I'd probably not buy the Aluminum version though, since it's too much of a compromise (see above).

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules