Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTunes won't recognise iPhone

iTunes won't recognise iPhone
Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2010, 05:38 PM

My Mac has stopped recognising my iPhone 2G, so I can no longer sync it or connect to it in any way. It has worked fine for the 2 years I have had it and all of a sudden it has stopped working.
I have tried the following:
- Putting the iPhone into recovery mode
- Reinstalling iTunes
- Using a different cable
- Using a different USB port

Here's some more details about my setup:
- Original iPhone 2G
- Pwned/Jailbroken
- iMac running OSX 10.5.8
- iTunes 9.2.1 (latest)

Any ideas what I can do to get the Mac to recognise it? Until it does there is nothing I can do with it!

Thanks,
P

Thunderbird
Senior User
Aug 13, 2010, 12:57 PM

Have you fixed the problem yet? If not, try running software update. There is an update to fix this known problem. I had the same issue on a Mac running OS 10.6. I ran software update, downloaded the fix, and now it works again.

ewiser
Aug 13, 2010, 01:08 PM

Pwned/Jailbroken
Reason for it not to work.

zacharace
Aug 13, 2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Have you fixed the problem yet? If not, try running software update. There is an update to fix this known problem. I had the same issue on a Mac running OS 10.6. I ran software update, downloaded the fix, and now it works again.
I'd definitely give this a shot. Also, have you tried connecting it to another computer?

Paco Loco  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks for your replies.
I have got a little further with this... sort of.
After trying for a very long time to get the phone into DFU mode and get iTunes to recognise it I finally succeeded. This was a bit wierd as it didn't seem to be anything I did which actually made iTunes recognise it, it just did while I wasn't actually doing anything...

Anyway, I decided that as I don't actually need to phone unlocked/jailbroken I would go back to the official software to hopefully fix my problems. So I restored it to the latest official software version that the 2G iPhone can handle - version 3.1.3
Everything went smoothly and after the phone rebooted I tested it and it's working well making calls etc.

However, guess what? It now is not recognised by iTunes again! I was pretty surprised by this as I had come to the conclusion that it was the fact it was pwned that was the problem, which I now know is not the case.
I have now tried it on different macs with different OSX versions, and with different cables and always the same result.
Hence I can now only think of one thing that remains which could be the problem, and that's the hardware itself...

Jimmy Foster
Banned
Aug 17, 2010, 06:27 AM

I want to add some thing in it that if the same problem exist after reinstalling that software then you should reinstall window on your mac OS.

Paco Loco  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2010, 06:31 AM

Sorry - I don't understand what you mean.

I think that as the problem persists on every machine I try it on and they have all had different OS versions that pretty much rules out the OS as being the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules