Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 20)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 03:16 PM

Is this guy unfamiliar with stop and frisk?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
We also need bodycams for our politicians!
We need to not change the ****ing subject!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 03:28 PM

Breaking news is indicating that NYC grand jury declined to indict the officer who choked Eric Garner to death on video. Even when using a chokehold that has been illegal for 20 years a black man still can't get justice against a police officer using excessive force. Let the excuses begin ....

See for yourself how he was killed here.

Black Man KILLED After NYPD Cop Puts Him In CHOKEHOLD For Breaking Up a FIGHT | YouTube.com

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 3, 2014 at 05:05 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 03:36 PM

Is the chokehold illegal or 'illegal.' One is a law, the second is departmental policy.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 03:40 PM

^^^^

Honestly I've seen it reported both ways. Regardless, when a man is one the ground with a bunch of cops on top of him and he says "I can't breath" 11 f*cking times and you continue to choke him out that's excessive force anyway you slice it!

OAW

PS: And this case is a prime example of why even body cams will not be any sort of panacea. Black males can get killed on video and it's still not even worthy of a trial in this country.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
when a man is one the ground with a bunch of cops on top of him and he says "I can't breath" 11 f*cking times and you continue to choke him out that's excessive force anyway you slice it!
But how can the cops know he's not lying to try and escape? /semi-serious

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 03:59 PM

^^^^

Exactly. But given all the cops on his back ... he wasn't going anywhere. All the guy had to do was stop choking him.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 04:01 PM

I forgot, the coroner ruled the death a homicide. How do you square that circle?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 04:07 PM

PS: And this case is a prime example of why even body cams will not be any sort of panacea. Black males can get killed on video and it's still not even worthy of a trial in this country.
I think you're overreacting because of the situation. They may not solve the problem 100%, but that's a stupid goal for one solution. It reduces police misbehavior, pacifies interactions, and reduces complaints. There is nothing there you shouldn't want, even if applies across the board equally.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 04:25 PM

Police officer fired for refusing to turn on body cam | Ars Technica
Police officer fired for refusing to turn on body cam
Albuquerque investigates the shooting of a 19-year-old that should be on tape.

by Joe Mullin - Dec 3 2014, 2:35pm EST
ShareTweet
The idea of putting body-worn cameras on police officers has spread since protests and unrest following the shooting of an unarmed teenager in Ferguson, Missouri. Earlier this week, the Obama administration proposed federal funding to get 50,000 more officers equipped with the cameras.

The increased use of cameras makes a few policy questions around them more pressing. One such question: what happens when a police officer fails—or straight-up refuses—to turn on the body camera?

The issue was highlighted in today's Wall Street Journal, which features a story about a New Mexico police officer who "was fired for allegedly not following an order to record and upload all contacts with citizens," according to the Albuquerque Police Department and the officer's lawyer.

Officer Jeremy Dear shot and killed a 19-year-old woman in April, an incident that heightened the already intense scrutiny of the Albuquerque Police Department. The city's police department had earlier reached a deal with the US Department of Justice, after a federal investigation concluded that police there "had used a pattern of excessive force."

Dear's lawyer, Thomas Grover, says the officer tried to activate the camera but couldn't. He also says there was never an order issued to record all citizen contacts.

The department says Dear's action was deliberate. “Insubordination tears at the fabric of public safety, especially when the officer makes a choice not to follow a lawful order," said the city's police chief in a statement.

"If they fire every officer who doesn't turn on his uniform camera, they won't have anyone left on the department," Grover told a Reuters reporter. "I think the department is struggling to get the lapel camera policy in place and set an example of him to show the Department of Justice they are doing something."

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2014, 04:30 PM

Ok let's roll with that.

1. That's debatable. Wilson gave a statement that Brown hit him so hard on the LEFT side of his face that he thought he was going to pass out. He claimed repeated punches by Brown. But his infamous "injury" is on the RIGHT side of his face. Not a bruise. A red mark that the grand jury transcripts show the jurors had trouble even seeing in the photograph. Furthermore, no physical evidence on Brown's hands to indicate any sort of punches. No cuts, scrapes, bruising. Nothing.
Looking at your response to me for the first question (I'm trying to keep this in manageable hunks), it appears you are claiming the mismatch between Wilson's marks and his description of being of being assaulted is evidence he wasn't assaulted at all.

My argument is even an objectively innocent Wilson has enormous motivation to flat-out lie. There's minimal chance for him to be charged for it, and the crime of perjury is a whole lot smaller than first degree anyways. To put it another way, there is no reason for Wilson to trust the GJ to be objective, and several reasons for him to assist them in coming to a final determination which matches the objective conclusion, even if doing so involves playing fast and loose with the truth.

IOW, a guilty Wilson, and an innocent Wilson, would likely behave the same way.

Does the (obvious IMO) self-serving nature of Wilson's testimony increase the probability he commited a crime? Abso-****ing-lutely. I'm not questioning that for a second. What I'm asking is "how much?" Considering his motivation to lie, I would say "not much". Further, Wilson's claim he was hit has to affect the probabilities as well. I think calling that a wash is being exceedingly reasonable to Brown's case.

If we take it as a wash, this leaves us...

Reducing probabilty:
No marks on Brown's hands
Brown's unremarkable conversation with the construction worker (forgot about this)

Increasing probability:
Marks on Wilson
Johnson's testimony there were times he couldn't see Brown's hands
Johnson's testimony Brown was emphatically resisting
Video from the store

A note on the last two in case they seem irrelevant. If Johnson had testified Brown was passive, that would have lowered the probability of Wilson's story. By what mechanism is the converse not increasing it? Same with the video. If it had just showed Brown buying the cigarillos, it would have reduced the reduced the probability. By what mechanism is the converse not increasing it?

It's very hard for me to look at the balance of probable vs. improbable above and come up with an improbable determination for Wilson getting hit, especially since I'm getting half the reasons from the person who is most hostile to him. If we allow Wilson a simple yes/no as to whether he was hit, it becomes impossible.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think you're overreacting because of the situation. They may not solve the problem 100%, but that's a stupid goal for one solution. It reduces police misbehavior, pacifies interactions, and reduces complaints. There is nothing there you shouldn't want, even if applies across the board equally.
Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying body cams won't help do all that. I'm just saying clearly it will only go so far ...

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 04:33 PM

The more proof we pile up, the harder it will be for detractors to ignore and supporters to sit back on.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 04:33 PM

I forgot, the coroner ruled the death a homicide. How do you square that circle?
Well Mike Brown's death was also ruled a "homicide". That only means he was killed. Legally the question comes to to whether or not a "crime" was committed. And in both instances the grand jury has basically decided that there is not enough probable cause ... the lowest standard in the entire judicial system ... to think that a crime MAY have been committed. Wow. Just f*cking wow!

OAW

OreoCookie
Dec 3, 2014, 04:43 PM

The more proof we pile up, the harder it will be for detractors to ignore and supporters to sit back on.
Yup, it's harder to ignore injustice if you can see it on video, and you can form your own opinion on whether or not it was justified. That's much harder if all you have to go on is a lot of weak forensic evidence and eye witnesses.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Looking at your response to me for the first question (I'm trying to keep this in manageable hunks), it appears you are claiming the mismatch between Wilson's marks and his description of being of being assaulted is evidence he wasn't assaulted at all.
Several witnesses described the struggle at the car being Wilson grabbing Brown and Brown trying to pull away from his grip. Wilson describes it as the deranged "demon", "hulk hogan" sized black man attacking him unprovoked and punching him repeatedly so hard that he thought he was going to pass out and feared for his life enough to pull his gun. The physical evidence seems to support the former more than the latter. Though it could have been something in between.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My argument is even an objectively innocent Wilson has enormous motivation to flat-out lie. There's minimal chance for him to be charged for it, and the crime of perjury is a whole lot smaller than first degree anyways.
Exactly! And the fact that there is no physical evidence to suggest that Wilson was involved in a struggle even REMOTELY as he described it should give a reasonable person plenty of cause to question his version of events OUTSIDE the vehicle as well. Hence, why an actual trial where he statements would be subject to cross-examination was in order.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 05:19 PM

Regarding this Eric Garner grand jury decision in NYC ... let's be clear. The grand jury could have indicted this cop on a range of charges, from murder to a lesser included offense such as reckless endangerment. Again, look at the VIDEO yourself and ask yourself how there was no probable cause even for the latter! And if anyone can come up with something please post it. I'm sure it'll be a doozy.

OAW

PS: Staten Island is the whitest, most politically conservative borough in NYC. Populated by lots of cops, firefighters, and their families. Think Simi Valley in the Rodney King trial. And this is the "thug" who apparently deserved his fate in the minds of some people.

( Last edited by OAW; Dec 3, 2014 at 06:25 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 05:25 PM

Reckless endangerment sounds like an easy sell, given Garners pleas.

Edit: We have to assume the DA was soft selling this, right?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 05:34 PM

^^^^^^^

As I said in the Mike Brown situation, when the DA takes a case of police misconduct to the grand jury the FIX IS IN!!!! 99% of the time a grand jury NEVER indicts a police officer.

"A grand jury would indict a ham sandwich," the famous saying goes. But a Staten Island grand jury's decision not to indict officer Daniel Pantaleo in the chokehold death of Eric Garner was likely prompted by the prosecutor, Richmond County District Attorney Daniel Donovan, Jr. "There is no question that a grand jury will do precisely what the prosecutor wants, virtually 100% of the time," says James Cohen, a law professor at Fordham University who specializes in criminal procedure. "This was, as was the case in Missouri, orchestrated by the prosecutor."

While most legal experts believed that the grand jury did not have enough evidence to prove a murder charge, the grand jury could have charged Pantaleo with manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide.

"In this case, you had videotape, and the videotape is pretty darn clear," Cohen says. "The video showed that the officer engaged in a long-prohibited conduct, a chokehold, and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the jury. And that's because the prosecutor decided that there should be no indictment for any criminal behavior."

Randolph McLaughlin, a law professor at Pace Law School and civil rights attorney, agreed.

"The grand jury is a tool of the prosecutor. At a minimum, it was negligent, it was reckless, it was some level of homicide. Surely they could have indicted this officer on any number of charges and let the public hear, let a trial happen, expose to the light of day what went on here. This man is a public servant, and he committed these acts as a public servant, wearing the uniform of a public servant, and he should be called to account for it."

In a statement, DA Donovan noted that he is barred from disclosing any details surrounding what took place during the grand jury proceeding, but that he petitioned for the information to be released on a court order.

Jeffrey Fagan, a law professor at Columbia who specializes in police accountability and criminal law, says he was "not surprised" by the grand jury's decision.

"It’s politically costly for Dan Donovan to indict a police officer on Staten Island. He can easily shift the political and legal burden to the Department of Justice to decide whether to pursue criminal charges. He’s washed his hands of it."

Fagan says that the federal civil rights statute "is a big hurdle to get over. Not impossible, but it will take some work."

Cohen was skeptical that the federal government would pursue charges against Pantaleo.

"You see these things coming one after another after another after another, you hear black parents being afraid to let their children go out in the street in day or night, maybe that will tip the balance. But I fear that's my own naiveté speaking."

McLaughlin, who has handled cases of wrongful death involving the police since 1997, said he was "almost speechless" after hearing of the grand jury's decision.

"Look at the facts of the case, and the videotape, and the fact that the officer has his arm around the man's neck in a chokehold, and the man is saying 'I can't breathe.' If you can't indict that cop for anything, then basically you can't indict a cop for killing a black man, period."
Legal Experts Say Eric Garner Grand Jury Did Exactly What DA Wanted: Nothing: Gothamist

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 05:35 PM

Breaking news is indicating that NYC grand jury declined to indict the officer who choked Eric Garner to death on video. Even when using a chokehold that has been illegal for 20 years a black man still can't get justice against a police officer using excessive force. Let the excuses begin ....

See for yourself how he was killed here.

Black Man KILLED After NYPD Cop Puts Him In CHOKEHOLD For Breaking Up a FIGHT | YouTube.com

OAW
Techicaly, Garner had a heart attack as a result of the choke hold; so yes, the choke hold "killed"" him. Use of the choke has been prohibited by NYPD since 1993.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 05:42 PM

Someone else to not listen to.

45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 05:43 PM

^^^^^^^

As I said in the Mike Brown situation, when the DA takes a case of police misconduct to the grand jury the FIX IS IN!!!! 99% of the time a grand jury NEVER indicts a police officer.

Legal Experts Say Eric Garner Grand Jury Did Exactly What DA Wanted: Nothing: Gothamist

OAW
Allegations Of Police Misconduct Rarely Result In Charges | FiveThirtyEight

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Someone else to not listen to.
You know if you think all these people you're posting have said solid things, maybe you should post the relevant quotes?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 05:55 PM

This excerpt deserves an explicit quote ...

A St. Louis County grand jury decided Monday that police officer Darren Wilson will not face trial for shooting and killing unarmed teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. Grand juries usually return indictments; the one exception is cases involving police shootings. But more than that, police shootings, and allegations of police misconduct in general, almost never make it in front of a grand jury. And officers rarely face legal consequences for allegations of misconduct.
That's for all those who want to convince themselves that the Darren Wilson walked because of the "evidence".

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 06:14 PM

You know if you think all these people you're posting have said solid things, maybe you should post the relevant quotes?
You have to see such postings for the purpose they serve. It is simply to dig up an example of that rare oddity called a "black conservative" who is more than willing to tell conservative white people what they want to hear. The "black conservative" gets plenty of notoriety and financial gain because he is essentially selling his "novelty". The conservative white crowd gets someone they can use as a shield against charges of racism among their ranks. It's a "win-win" for them both. Jonathan Gentry, Ben Carson, David Clarke, et al are bigger "race hustlers" than Al Sharpton could ever be. You see Sharpton is a civil-rights activist. That's what he does. It's part of his job description. Ben Carson is a very well-respected pediatric neurosurgeon. The man's story is simply incredible. And it is most definitely not in his job description to make ridiculous comments like this to rooms full of lily-white people ...

Originally Posted by Dr. Ben Carson
You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery.
So what other explanation is there for him to say something that is so demonstrably false? I mean ... even if you disagree with Obamacare as a policy matter ... a slavery comparison? Really? So it was worse than a century of Jim Crow? 144 years that women were denied the right to vote? The 420K US lives lost in WW II? The Vietnam War? The 911 attacks? Seriously?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 3, 2014 at 06:24 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 06:47 PM

More info on the Tamir Rice case ... the 12 year old black boy who was killed by a white police officer while playing with a pellet gun. Now as I said earlier in the thread, this pellet gun looked like the real thing. So if his parents allowed him as a black child to have it given all these trigger happy cops he would eventually encounter then they clearly must have lost their minds. That being said, we aren't really sure how he got it. Could have been a friends. Might have found it. Who knows? In any event ... ONCE AGAIN the initial police story doesn't match the video evidence.

Cleveland Police officials told a different story about what happened to Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old shot and killed by a Cleveland Police officer over the weekend of November 22, than what's visible in the available video footage of the shooting.

MSNBC's Chris Hayes broke down some the discrepancies between the police's side of the story and what actually happened, and what can be seen in the video surveillance footage released by police a couple days after the shooting.

Police said, according to the Plain Dealer, that Rice was sitting under a pavilion in the park with a few people, suggesting that the boy could have been a threat to others. But the video footage shows Rice was sitting alone as police pulled up.

Police also claimed, according to the Associated Press, that the officer who opened fire on Rice asked the boy to put his hands up three times, suggesting that Rice was given ample warning before he was shot. The video footage doesn't disprove this, but it suggests the officer who shot Rice, Timothy Loehmann, would have given the commands fairly quickly — Loehmann shot Rice within two seconds of his squad car pulling up to the park pavilion.

"Taken together, [the police account] sounds like it could have been a really threatening situation," Hayes said. "But this time, unlike in Ferguson, there is a video, and it tells a pretty different story."
The police's story about the shooting of 12-year-old Tamir Rice doesn't match the video - Vox

Please follow the link and see the video for yourself. You can clearly see that the kid was by himself. No threat to anyone else at all. Yet the police drove across the grass and pulled up a couple of feet away from him. Now pause for a moment. WTF would they do that? Wouldn't it make more sense to pull up at a distance, get out and crouch behind the door of the police vehicle for their own safety ... rather than roll right up to someone who has been reported to have a gun? And then give the commands to drop the weapon? But that's not what happened. They rolled right up on this kid ... the cop jumped out the passenger door before the police vehicle even stopped moving ... and IMMEDIATELY shot that kid dead! He was shot on sight ... just like that John Crawford who was holding the toy rifle in the Walmart was while he was talking on his cell phone to his girlfriend.

Nonetheless ... chances are this cop will walk too. Despite this ...

Tim Loehmann, the Cleveland police officer who fatally shot 12-year-old Tamir Rice, had been judged back in 2012 to be unfit for service while he worked for the Independence Police Department.

Newly obtained records show that the department’s deputy chief wrote some very critical things about Loehmann two years ago. For example, he said Loehmann was “distracted” and “weepy” during firearms qualification training, and that “I do not believe time, nor training, will be able to change or correct the deficiencies.”

Loehmann even said, “He could not follow simple directions, could not communicate clear thoughts nor recollections, and his handgun performance was dismal.”

He recommended the department part ways with Loehmann. Loehmann left and, of course, ended up joining the Cleveland police. It’s unclear how much information from Independence was made aware to his superiors in Cleveland.
Officer Who Shot Tamir Rice Had Been Judged ‘Unfit’ for Service in 2012

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 07:12 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 07:27 PM

In the video it appears that he did reach into his waistband as one hand pulls up his shirt. That's just... I strongly doubt the police could even see the gun until they pulled up, since it looks like it was under his shirt, likely someone driving by called 911 when they saw Tamir walking around with what appeared to be a handgun. That all aside, it's very tragic, no kid should be walking around town with a BB or pellet gun, the worst possible things can happen.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 07:40 PM

^^^^

I agree with everything you just said. Except the part about the 911 call. It was someone in the park who called. Who also told the dispatcher that the gun was "probably fake". And it looked to be a "juvenile". It is very tragic indeed. By no means am I suggesting that this officer deemed "unfit for service" set out to kill a black kid. Not saying that at all. But I stand by my points about how they handled this situation. Why roll up right on him? Why not give him a chance to comply with a police command that in all likelihood was never spoken given the second or two before he was killed? And then why LIE about the circumstances on the initial police report that the video clearly disproves?

IOW ... why couldn't he had been handled like this white guy who was waving a REAL gun at people in a park and the cops wounded him from a distance and took him to the hospital? Alive. As opposed to being shot on sight?

Armed man shot, injured by San Diego police in Mission Bay

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 3, 2014 at 09:25 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 10:00 PM

You can ignore such postings becasue they are quotes from Toms.
There, that was a lot easier.

I doubt Rev Gentry is a Republican. Sherrif Clarke is a Democrat. Barkley thinks both parties are full of crap.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 10:24 PM

You can ignore such postings becasue they are quotes from Toms.
Uncle Tom is so last century. Uncle Ruckus is more relevant today.

Uncle Ruckus (also known as Rev. Uncle Ruckus and Rev. Fr. Uncle Ruckus, as well as Uncle Ruckus, no relation) is the main antagonist from the comic strip The Boondocks and the television series based on the comic.

An old angry man who claims to have had a disease that started when he was a baby turning his skin color from white to black, he disassociates himself from other African Americans as much as possible as a result of this excuse, and is outspoken in his support of what Huey calls the "white supremacist power structure."
Uncle Ruckus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 10:41 PM

Huey is going to have to come up with a new boogey man. Big O has opened the door for us Mexicans to become the majority in the US. Reconquista baby!
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 12:50 AM

Yup, we latinos breed faster than anyone else, too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2014, 01:28 AM

Several witnesses described the struggle at the car being Wilson grabbing Brown and Brown trying to pull away from his grip. Wilson describes it as the deranged "demon", "hulk hogan" sized black man attacking him unprovoked and punching him repeatedly so hard that he thought he was going to pass out and feared for his life enough to pull his gun. The physical evidence seems to support the former more than the latter. Though it could have been something in between.

Exactly! And the fact that there is no physical evidence to suggest that Wilson was involved in a struggle even REMOTELY as he described it should give a reasonable person plenty of cause to question his version of events OUTSIDE the vehicle as well. Hence, why an actual trial where he statements would be subject to cross-examination was in order.

OAW
This may surprise you, but you are giving Wilson a benefit of the doubt I am not giving him.

At least with regards to events up until Wilson fires on the street, I am considering Dorian Johnson's testimony to be 100% accurate. I make a single exception for the fact Johnson recalls one shot from inside the SUV, while there were two casings found nearby.

I need to hammer on what I just said. The foundation of my analysis is taking the single best source of evidence against Wilson, and then totally ignoring any potential for bias or false recollection. I posit you can't be more fair to Brown than that. There is no testimony more damning to Wilson, and there is no way to subject it to analysis which is more sympathetic to Brown.

Unfortunately, Johnson can't tell us whether Brown hit Wilson. His own testimony states there were times he didn't have a view of Brown's hand. We have to look at the other available evidence.

While Johnson can't testify as to what Brown was doing with his right hand at all times during the event, he can (and did) testify as to Brown's behavior during the altercation. Nothing Johnson says about Brown's behavior during said altercation is incongruent with Brown hitting Wilson.

We have video of Brown being violent.

Wilson had (very light) marks, and exactly as you say, Brown had no marks on his hands. I need to make a very important point here... the question we are asking is not did Brown's hands match Wilson's description of having been hit, we are asking did Brown's hands match the forensic analysis of the injuries to Wilson's face. They did.

We have Brown's normal interaction with the construction worker.

In other words, there is literally one single piece of evidence Brown didn't hit Wilson: the conversation with the construction worker. Everything else either doesn't contradict Brown hitting Wilson, or actively provides support for the notion.

I need to make it clear here if it isn't already... I haven't even considered Wilson's testimony. I'm going solely off forensic evidence, the video, and the testimony of Johnson.

What am I supposed to do with this as a juror? With regards to the question of whether Brown hit Wilson, Brown's best defense is some of the strangers he interacted with that morning didn't get assaulted...

And Wilson hasn't even given us his dumbass pig testimony yet.

Think how many jurors say after a shocking acquittal, "oh... I know they're guilty, but I wasn't provided the evidence to prove it". That's what this situation is. Even bending over backwards to accomodate Brown, I haven't been given the evidence to exonerate him on the charge of hitting Wilson.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 4, 2014 at 03:38 AM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2014, 08:23 AM

I guess resisting arrest is still wrong?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2014, 10:38 AM

First all all ... you don't know anything whatsoever about Mike Brown to make the statement that he was "accustomed to bullying people". Let's call that for what it is. A teenager walks out with a handful of cigarillos that were worth several dollars tops ... and then "shoves the manager" who grabbed him first. And yes ... it's not a good look. He should have been ARRESTED ... not EXECUTED for it. But you have no basis whatsoever to pass judgment on what he was or was not "accustomed to". You have evidence of a single incident of bad behavior on Brown's part and you immediately paint his entire existence with the broad brush of "thug". You have no history you can point to to justify such a statement. So quite frankly .... you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

OAW
Well, apparently the Gentle Giant was no stranger to the gang behaviour:

Anyone wants to guess what type of behaviour would come from emulating da thugs?

Even if you ignore da skreet life, just look at the fabulous step-father giving his "burn dis mofferfocker down!" speech:

Great parenting values!

Aut Caesar aut nihil.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2014, 11:03 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 11:14 AM

You have to see such postings for the purpose they serve. It is simply to dig up an example of that rare oddity called a "black conservative" who is more than willing to tell conservative white people what they want to hear.
Does he realize he's telling this to a white guy? Have I shown some kind of bias towards black spokesmen or something?

They rolled right up on this kid ... the cop jumped out the passenger door before the police vehicle even stopped moving ... and IMMEDIATELY shot that kid dead! He was shot on sight
I'm waiting to hear some response on this. You could say the kid was stupid, but I'd be hard-pressed to believe what the cops did there was their job or even sound procedure for this kind of situation.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
In the video it appears that he did reach into his waistband as one hand pulls up his shirt. That's just... I strongly doubt the police could even see the gun until they pulled up, since it looks like it was under his shirt, likely someone driving by called 911 when they saw Tamir walking around with what appeared to be a handgun. That all aside, it's very tragic, no kid should be walking around town with a BB or pellet gun, the worst possible things can happen.
DO you think the police approached the situation correctly?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 11:18 AM

Big O has opened the door for us Mexicans to become the majority in the US.
Where do you come up with this shit? His not-amnesty is a fraction of the already legal Mexican population in the US. That ship sailed a while ago.

I guess resisting arrest is still wrong?
...and worthy of a death sentence. Better the alleged criminal dies than escapes to... sell unmarked cigarettes another day?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 11:19 AM

So, what is the correct reaction to this? What should whites do in response?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 11:21 AM

STL County PD trolling on twitter
https://twitter.com/stlcountypd/stat...03196280819712
Kids will be Kids?

On November 22nd 2014, a Cleveland Police Officer shot 12 year old Tamir Rice who had his... http://fb.me/3wxWLK8MB
Really weird decision to post that.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 11:31 AM

His not-amnesty
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 11:32 AM

DO you think the police approached the situation correctly?
The approach was probably within dept regulations, though I wouldn't have done that. Most likely I would have pulled up further away and used the comm to tell him to lay down on the ground with his hands on his head. If he ignored that and still drew the pellet gun, however... that would be tough to identify at 20' or more, without the now-mandatory orange tip. I would at least tell him to drop it and wait a couple beats for him to comply before escalating.

They should be shit-canned for falsifying a report.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 11:34 AM

...and worthy of a death sentence. Better the alleged criminal dies than escapes to... sell unmarked cigarettes another day?
why is that even a Class C felony in NYC? That's the same as selling <50g of heroine.

Also, FWIW, S&F is simply flat-out wrong, it's a clear violation of civil liberties.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 11:38 AM

Had they used a Tazer on Garner and it triggered the heart attack that did kill him, would everone still want the officer who used the tazer charged?
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 11:41 AM

I highly doubt a taser would have induced the same reaction, but yes, they probably would.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 11:46 AM

Most likely I would have pulled up further away and used the comm to tell him to lay down on the ground with his hands on his head.
That ran through my head as well. Doesn't seem hard ...or dangerous.

They should be shit-canned for falsifying a report.
Yuuuuuuuuup

why is that even a Class C felony in NYC?
Is that the cigarettes thing? I dunno, maybe they had issues with a lot of cigarettes falling off the back of trailers.

Also, FWIW, S&F is simply flat-out wrong, it's a clear violation of civil liberties.
I have no idea what you're referring to here.

Had they used a Tazer on Garner and it triggered the heart attack that did kill him, would everone still want the officer who used the tazer charged?
Are we talking one tazering? Because if so, probably not (Unless he yelled he had a pacemaker or something). You have to encourage use of non-lethal force. (That's why we have mace, too).

If they tazer his four times, I become a lot less sympathetic, demon powers or not.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 11:46 AM

Doesn't address my point. Check.
Doesn't refute my point. Check.
Devoid of any meaningful content. Check.

Yep, that's a Chongo post alright.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 12:36 PM

Is that the cigarettes thing? I dunno, maybe they had issues with a lot of cigarettes falling off the back of trailers.

I have no idea what you're referring to here.
One has to wonder why one of the most liberal cities in the US has the most draconian laws and policies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 12:39 PM

One has to wonder why one of the most liberal cities in the US has the most draconian laws and policies.
The 70s

Forum Links
Forum Rules