Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels/Bootcamp on Macbook vs. Macbook Pro?

Parallels/Bootcamp on Macbook vs. Macbook Pro?
macmango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 09:26 AM

I currently have a 17" G4 laptop that I'm really happy with but need to upgrade to C2D for Windows access for work. I need strong VPN access and processing power (I'm a number cruncher so most of the programs used are calculation intensive.) I've managed to hold out switching to PC all these years though the accounting industry is primarily PC but now that we're going paperless, Windows access is critical to working remotely.

Is there much difference in running Parallels or Bootcamp on a Macbook vs. a Macbook Pro? With the refurb MB's available again, I can get a 13.3" MB C2D for $1100.

Cold Warrior
May 10, 2007, 11:00 AM

If you need all the processing power you can get, then there is a difference between Parallels and Bootcamp. Bootcamp is faster.

macmango  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if there would be much difference in processing speed for a macbook vs a macbook pro? I'm trying to decide whether to spend the extra money on the MBP.

tavin64
Forum Regular
May 10, 2007, 06:20 PM

If you will be mostly using access and office related apps you really wont see a difference in the mbp. Now if you are using graphic intensive applications the macbook pro is better. If you want to save money just go for the macbook and put 2gb of ram in it.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2007, 09:42 PM

Parallels, VMWare and Virtualbox all run perfectly and fluidly in my Macbook with 2GB RAM. I am sure the MBP's graphics chip won't speed up your accounting programs any.

Elixir
May 23, 2007, 07:19 PM

i'm also thinking of adding a windows system to my mac. i need word/office/and powerpoint working in windows (i hate the ported versions)

whats the better option? going with boot camp or parallels?

i have a MBP with 1gb ram, 100gb harddrive at 2.0ghz.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2007, 09:15 PM

I've found that Parallels is OK with apps like Word, but Boot Camp, being a real, native Intel platform, runs it MUCH better and faster. Consider this: Word:Mac is a PPC application that runs on an Intel Mac through Rosetta. Running Word XP or other Office apps in Parallels is much like that, so you'll find some issues with performance. 'Nuf said?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Elixir
May 23, 2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I've found that Parallels is OK with apps like Word, but Boot Camp, being a real, native Intel platform, runs it MUCH better and faster. Consider this: Word:Mac is a PPC application that runs on an Intel Mac through Rosetta. Running Word XP or other Office apps in Parallels is much like that, so you'll find some issues with performance. 'Nuf said?
its actually not hte performance of excel or word on the mac its the actual program, it varies a bit from the real version of excel on windows.

which would be the wiser choice? less hassle? etc etc

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 07:40 AM

XP and Vista do feel noticebly faster when opening menus and such compared to Parallels, but, overall, they are about the same. You would get the most out of Bootcamp though since you can use the video card natively. If you do use both, a single XP install can be used by both Bootcamp and Parallels.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
its actually not hte performance of excel or word on the mac its the actual program, it varies a bit from the real version of excel on windows.

which would be the wiser choice? less hassle? etc etc
Having used everything in Office:Mac as well as everything in Office XP (and some later versions), the only real difference I see is that the Mac versions use a Mac metaphor for tools and the Windows versions use a Windows metaphor. If you're really stuck on using the toolbar for everything in the Windows version of Office, then you're not having a problem with the programs on your Mac, you're having a problem with your habits.

Elixir
May 24, 2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Having used everything in Office:Mac as well as everything in Office XP (and some later versions), the only real difference I see is that the Mac versions use a Mac metaphor for tools and the Windows versions use a Windows metaphor. If you're really stuck on using the toolbar for everything in the Windows version of Office, then you're not having a problem with the programs on your Mac, you're having a problem with your habits.
yeah well the point is i use excel a lot, and i usually use it in a windows (habit) environment.

so which is the best choice in running office.. parallel or bootcamp?

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2007, 04:35 PM

If it HAS to be the Windows version, Boot Camp is the better choice because the program will be run natively instead of through a layer or two of software emulation of one form or another. Again, I've run all of Office on my MBP, and particularly Excel 2004, and it's been fine. A few very minor issues showed up, like some tools took a while to open their own windows, but actual calculations were always nice and speedy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules