Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help! Clock and date keeps resetting to 1969....

Help! Clock and date keeps resetting to 1969....
Akarso
Nov 10, 2001, 03:03 AM

and the time changes to 4:30 am ? So i have to manually change the clock and date back to what's current. This only started to happen right after i installed Itunes 2.01. Also now my boot up time has taken a dramatic hit ever since the installation. What could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(oi)

SMacEslin
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2001, 04:16 AM

I just posted the same problem yesterday, but it appears no one else is experiencing this problem. I actually noticed the issue prior to the new iTunes - but they may still be related. I've found by setting the date/time to sync with a network time-server helps -- at least it synchronizes once an internet connection is established ...

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2001, 04:32 AM

Are both of you using powerbooks? If you let the computer loose all power, the battery on the motherboard will run out. This is a pain to fix (new battery).

Originally posted by SMacEslin:
<STRONG>I just posted the same problem yesterday, but it appears no one else is experiencing this problem. I actually noticed the issue prior to the new iTunes - but they may still be related. I've found by setting the date/time to sync with a network time-server helps -- at least it synchronizes once an internet connection is established ...</STRONG>

vertigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2001, 06:13 AM

There also seems to be an issue with PPPoE connections. It seems that in some cases (and mine for sure) OS X can not connect to a network time server to check for the time - if you have that feature enabled in the Date/Time Preference panel. This also will add a considerable delay to startup while OS X tries to connect before the PPPoE session has been established.

Unfortunately it seems that instead of leaving the time alone, it is reset back to the beginning (December 1969) of UNIX history. The only way I have found to avoid this is not have the network time server option checked, and instead update the time manually.
~vert

<Camali>
Nov 10, 2001, 09:02 AM

I'm getting the same problem with my Dual 800. If i boot into OS 9, the date is messed, then I fix it by doing a auto-sync in the date/time control panet.

After that I boot into OS X (10.1) and the date is back to December 1969 and the time is all wrong.

I do an auto-sync and all is ok, until I turn off the computer.

Same thing is happening to a G4/400 on the same network.

It's getting quite irritating.

Akarso  (op)
Nov 10, 2001, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by yuriwho:
<STRONG>Are both of you using powerbooks? If you let the computer loose all power, the battery on the motherboard will run out. This is a pain to fix (new battery).
</STRONG>
No. I'm using a Cube G4 400mhz running 10.1, 704 mb of Ram. 10.1 upgrade, and the latest installer update.

Everything was running fine up until the installation of Itunes 2.0.1. I dont know what happened. It did the installation, then asked to restart the computer. So i let it restart and then upon restart i noticed it was taking forever to boot up. At first i thought it might of just froze or locked up on me, but i choose to let it sit for awhile just to make sure. Then finally it booted up. That's when i noticed the time was different.

Also I have the network sync feature turned off, so that couldn't be the reason why my computer isn't booting up as normal. See when i turn my computer on, i get the grey screen with the little icon of a smiley mac and the little rainbow wheel to the upper left corner. It stays there for ( i haven' t timed it) at least 20-30 seconds, then the normal OSX load screen shows.

But having the time and date off is what's really bothering me. anyone have any ideas? Maybe i should contact Apple? I would hate to have to reformat and install everything again. T
(oi)

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2001, 02:34 PM

Simple answer: bad motherboard battery. Solution: replace the $5 part.

Akarso  (op)
Nov 10, 2001, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
<STRONG>Simple answer: bad motherboard battery. Solution: replace the $5 part.</STRONG>
I don't think that's the problem....I mean it could be, but all of a sudden? You mean to say that the battery just went bad after i upgraded to Itunes 2? The time and date was working fine for me up until the installation, so i don't think it has anything to do with the battery.
(oi)

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2001, 05:43 PM

I have exactly the same problem. The battery in your system shouldn't be the problem. But somebody else fixes this problem by replacing their battery please let me know. I am running a 450 meg DP box.

SMacEslin
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2001, 07:44 AM

I'm having the problem on the G4/Dual 450 - and only in OSX. If I boot into OS9, fix the clock and shut down the system, the next time the system comes up (in OS9), it is still correct. I have even left the system off overnight, and when I boot back into OS9, the date/time is still correct.

It appears the problem is specific to OSX, and I have not found that by enabling/disabling the network time synch, makes any difference.

Ironically enough, OSX works beautifully on my PB G3/400 without and loss in date/time. And on top of that, it actually boots faster than the G4...

I am debating intializing the hard drive where the OS resides and starting from scratch ...

gfxgeek
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2001, 01:36 PM

I'm having the same problem on both my g4 450 and my iMac 500. I've been having this problem ever since I upgraded to OSX.1 period. Not neccesarily from the iTunes 2 update. Hope they get this fixed soon.
PowerMac G4 450mhz 256mb RAM 2/26gb HD RagePro128 Internal Zip OS X.1
iMacDVSE Graphite 500mhz 256mb RAM 30gb HD OS X.1
Macintosh SE 1mb RAM 2/800k FD OS 6.0.3
Macintosh Quadra 610 25mhz 4mb RAM 230mb HD OS 7.1
Macintosh Quadra 605 25mhz 4mb RAM 80mb HD OS 7.1

SMacEslin
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2001, 01:21 PM

So it appears that this is a OSX 10.1 related 'bug'. Has anyone posed this question / problem to Apple? Perhaps the newest maintenance release will tackle this problem introduced by 10.1... I never had the problem in 10.0...

Richard Clark
Senior User
Nov 12, 2001, 01:29 PM

My first reaction was to check the battery.

Has the PRAM been zapped?

I'm not real good on UNIX side but has FSCK been performed?

Just couple thoughts - hope they help.
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Akarso  (op)
Nov 12, 2001, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Richard Clark:
<STRONG>My first reaction was to check the battery.

Has the PRAM been zapped?

I'm not real good on UNIX side but has FSCK been performed?

Just couple thoughts - hope they help.</STRONG>
It's not the battery because the time and date still work correctly in 9.2. This problem only seems to be in OSX. I don't know what exactly.
(oi)

ddregs
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2001, 06:43 PM

I'm having the same problem with my new Dual G4 800 under OS X 10.1
OS 9.2.1 works fine. I'm having this problem before installing iTunes 2.0.1 , I exclude that to be the problem...

Regards
Attention, Roland V-Drums drummer here....

Akarso  (op)
Nov 13, 2001, 06:47 AM

I think you're right. I don't believe Itunes 2 is the problem. But what happened to me was that during the installation, Itunes 2 installer froze on me during the restart. It just stayed at the blue screen with the rainbow wheel for several minutes. After that i started to notice the problem. So i don't know, if that's what caused it or something else.
(oi)

SMacEslin
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2001, 10:21 AM

I beginning to wonder if this problem is related only to DP machines, I have OSX running on both an iMac and a PBook and do not have this problem. The only place this problem appears is on my DP 450. Has anyone tried to do a complete reinstall (from the ground up) to see if this fixes the problem?

<eliotw>
Nov 29, 2001, 02:35 PM

I'm having the same problem with my DP/450, seems to have started with the OS X 10.1 upgrade. Installing 10.1.1, latest firmware, or iTunes 2 had no effect on the problem. Yes, it's OS X related as running with OS 9 I don't see the issue.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Maybe I need to start running NTP on my Linux box so I can sync time. I shouldn't have to do this.

Thanks,
Eliot

3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2001, 11:17 AM

Hi Everyone. I'm an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and have spoken with Apple Tech about this problem. In the past, yes, that typically means a bad battery, but this isn't the case here.

It is a known bug in X that the engineers are working on. It does not seem to be related to having the network time server checked on startup (but I keep it off anyway). They simply don't know.

More frustrating is the occasional DAMN LONG happy mac grey screen before the blue screen. But that's another story.

The short of it is, we just have to wait for a fix.

-GregM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules