Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT!

3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT! (Page 6)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2005, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
A good story about how Nintendo really has to fix the problems it is having by making the next system what people want:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/587/587028p1.html

Scary thing is they are already mentioning how Nintendo is making mistakes by being so secretive that 3rd parties aren't budging.
Several game developers have already announced they are supporting Revolution...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
Game sales are low because all of the release games suck.
All of them don't suck -- Madden's very good. In general, you're right. Luckily, it's still possible to play great games on the DS by buying GBA games. I'll be interested to see how the PSP does. Its launch titles are as bad as (if not worse than) the DS ones, but there aren't any other games to buy.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2005, 11:36 AM

I don't like football and I have a GBA SP.

I have also beaten Super Mario 64 about 5 times. I would probably get the remake if I had a DS, but there is no way I'm buying a new system to play a 10 year old game.

Wario Ware comes out soon. I'm sure it will be great. That's the only one I'm interested in though... still not worth buying a system for.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2005, 11:46 PM

Hmm... straying off topic here. we were discussing the GameCube, and Starwars fanboy seems to have no comeback or rebutal.... maybe thats why he started picking on the DS, which is also making big moneys for the big N.
The DS as a hardware platform is a success by any measure.....
-price
-number of units shipped and sold
-number of titles available(including backward compatibility)

in every one of those aspects, the DS has outperformed the PSP. Games will follow..... they are working on the titles as we speak, your being hoplessely childish if you expect quality and quantity of titles exploiting the DS's feature set at launch or right after launch.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 11:50 PM

According to Slashdot today Nintendo has licensed PalmOS. Apparently they want to port it to the DS.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
According to Slashdot today Nintendo has licensed PalmOS. Apparently they want to port it to the DS.
Because we all know how well palm devices are doing...
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 12:50 AM

Because we all know how well palm devices are doing...
I think it has little to do with how well Palm devices are doing and more to do with adding PIM features, along with adding support for thousands of Palm applications.

If they added Palm OS support I'd buy one. PIM functionality was one of the things I wanted in a device like this.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 12:58 AM

Okay, I for one am tired of this thread being SWG masturbating to his PSP. Not to mention this thread being fairly off-topic and stupid.

Please, Please Lock This.

Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Okay, I for one am tired of this thread being SWG masturbating to his PSP. Not to mention this thread being fairly off-topic and stupid.

Truth hurts and can't take it eh. If it closes I will just start another Nintendo is in serious ASSED trouble thread.

If you don't like it stay out of it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:

It's ok, SWG does more damage to Sony than Nintendo marketing ever could.

Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 01:22 AM

It's ok, SWG does more damage to Sony than Nintendo marketing ever could.
yes, sony is losing the gaming market because of me. They are close to the end

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 01:56 AM

Truth hurts and can't take it eh. If it closes I will just start another Nintendo is in serious ASSED trouble thread.

If you don't like it stay out of it.
Apparently only you think this way. I've seen no praise of sony in all its forms anywhere. You're obsessed.

Even if nintendo was it would have little to no effect. They are a brand name and people will buy the product just because it exists.

I think you might be getting a little hiatus if you keep this stupidity up.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 11:11 PM

Well guess what... I got a Nintendo DS for V-Day.

This thing is huge. More in-depth review to follow.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 11:26 PM

Well guess what... I got a Nintendo DS for V-Day.

This thing is huge. More in-depth review to follow.
Congratulations! I'm still getting over the whole "I don't like football" thing...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 12:42 AM

Here are impresssions after about 2 hours of use...

The MEtroid Demo is very short. It looks nice, but the controls are weird. I had a problem with the platforming parts. Maybe practice will fix it.

GBA games look better on it than on the SP. The built in OS is snazzy and seems well made.

This thing is huge. It's twice the size and weight of an SP. It's not super portable if you get my drift. I can pop the DS in my jeans pocket on the way out of the door, but this thing is just a too large to be convienient.

Thisw thing is ugly. It looks very 1991. It feels clunky. When I first opened my SP, I was stunned by how tiny, light and amazing it was. The DS doesn't come close to recreating those feelings. In fact, it elicited almost the exact opposite response. I think it actually looks and feels worse in person then I imagined.

While GBA games do look better on the backlit screen, I feel like it isn't worth it too lug around such a huge device. The SP is so svelt and compact. It's very touchable and usable. This thing is just a brick.

I don't know. My initial impressions are all bad. It's not a good sign.

I need some games.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 12:59 AM

Here are impresssions after about 2 hours of use...

The MEtroid Demo is very short. It looks nice, but the controls are weird. I had a problem with the platforming parts. Maybe practice will fix it.

GBA games look better on it than on the SP. The built in OS is snazzy and seems well made.

This thing is huge. It's twice the size and weight of an SP. It's not super portable if you get my drift. I can pop the DS in my jeans pocket on the way out of the door, but this thing is just a too large to be convienient.

Thisw thing is ugly. It looks very 1991. It feels clunky. When I first opened my SP, I was stunned by how tiny, light and amazing it was. The DS doesn't come close to recreating those feelings. In fact, it elicited almost the exact opposite response. I think it actually looks and feels worse in person then I imagined.

While GBA games do look better on the backlit screen, I feel like it isn't worth it too lug around such a huge device. The SP is so svelt and compact. It's very touchable and usable. This thing is just a brick.

I don't know. My initial impressions are all bad. It's not a good sign.

I need some games.
How could it be heavier and bigger than the SP? They're basically the same volume, DS is just a bit thicker and the SP is wider.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 02:03 AM

The DS is twice the size of the SP and probably twice as heavy.

I have them both right here in front of me. The difference is HUGE, The DS is not thicker. The DS is actually thicker in the middle than the SP.

Take two SPs and place them directly next to each other. Now remove 3/4" of an inch from the overall width and you have the exact dimension of the DS. Same height, same depth, twice as wide.

Not to be a total downer, the colors of the GBA games look a lot better. The Sp has a washed out look thanks to the light on the screen, but the DS colors look very vivid and bright. Minish cap looks amazing on here.
( Last edited by ort888; Feb 15, 2005 at 02:16 AM. )

Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 02:57 AM

It is also bigger than the PSP and with a dinky screen in comparison.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 07:26 AM

When I first opened my SP, I was stunned by how tiny, light and amazing it was. The DS doesn't come close to recreating those feelings.
That's exactly why I said the GBA SP is probably the zenith of handheld gaming. I like my DS, but it and the PSP are both sacrificing one of the key requirements (portability) for luxuries like better graphics and more features.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by lavar78:
That's exactly why I said the GBA SP is probably the zenith of handheld gaming. I like my DS, but it and the PSP are both sacrificing one of the key requirements (portability) for luxuries like better graphics and more features.
Exactly.
Eventually they'll fit N64 or gamecube equivalent chips into GBA SP size device. Until then, GBA SP is the only true portable gaming solution. As long as they keep the battery life over 20 hours w/ a device like this, I'll buy one.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 11:49 AM

I have them both right here in front of me. The difference is HUGE, The DS is not thicker. The DS is actually thicker in the middle than the SP.

Take two SPs and place them directly next to each other. Now remove 3/4" of an inch from the overall width and you have the exact dimension of the DS. Same height, same depth, twice as wide.

Not to be a total downer, the colors of the GBA games look a lot better. The Sp has a washed out look thanks to the light on the screen, but the DS colors look very vivid and bright. Minish cap looks amazing on here.
What the hell are you smoking? The DS in only .48 oz heavier than the PSP. Twice as heavy would be 16 oz. Same with the dimensions. The DS is marginally thicker and longer than the PSP. I don't know where you're getting the width crap; the PSP is actually much wider than the DS.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 12:48 PM

The DS is noticably heavier. It has to be way more than .5oz. Where did you get that figure?

The thing is huge. It's almost twice the size of the SP. This is a fact. It's not open to debate.

I have not seen a PSP so I cannot comment on that, but the SP looks like a well thought out modern peice of equipment and the DS looks like a fringe portable game player from 1990. Like a Game Gear or something. It is massive and is not easily portable. You cannot easily slip this thing in your pocket as you are headed out the door. It's big.

I could put it in my jacket pocket or a backpack, but if I'm not wearing a coat, there is no way I can fit this thing in my pockets with a phone, keys, and a wallet.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 12:54 PM

According to two CNET reviews the DS weighs 9.7 ounces and the SP weights 4.9.

Who's smoking what now?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/...0895578-2.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_Gam...-21059784.html

JonoG4
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 01:05 PM

According to two CNET reviews the DS weighs 9.7 ounces and the SP weights 4.9.

Who's smoking what now?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/...0895578-2.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_Gam...-21059784.html
Seems like TheBadgerHunter thought you were saying the DS was twice as heavy as the PSP.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 01:15 PM

That makes more sense.

Is the PSP really that big? I need to see one of these things up close.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
If that were true than why are the PSP and DS selling like hotcakes? Seems people want more than just small size.

And as for the sizes:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 04:56 PM

Hmm, lets see, instead of online play to play with friends and others all over the world you can play as a little princess in a pink dress among a bunch of black guys.

I know which version I am getting!

"To entice GameCube owners into buying more copies of their latest multiplatform basketball title NBA Street V3, Electronic Arts added a Nintendo All-Stars team. The unique draw of the PS2 and Xbox versions is online play, which the GameCube edition lacks.

And what of Mario, teamed with his brother Luigi and Princess Peach? The cartoon heroes don't bring any special abilities to the court -- just the same superhuman leaping and dunking abilities that all the NBA stars boast in the over-the-top world of Street. Although the novelty is hilarious at first (especially the shock of seeing the squeaky-clean Princess bumping and grinding in pink hot pants), the limitations quickly become apparent -- if both players want to be the Nintendo team, they have to use the same three identical character models.

So although it's not worth buying just for the Nintendo All-Stars, those simply looking for a fun pick-up-and-play basketball game for afternoons with friends will want NBA Street V3 in their entertainment center for any system. Those looking for online b-ball will have to forego Mario and head to the PS2 or Xbox. And casual players should prepare themselves for some frustration."

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...w=wn_tophead_5

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
If that were true than why are the PSP and DS selling like hotcakes? Seems people want more than just small size.
They're selling like hotcakes partly because they're new. Let's see if either one comes close to supplanting the GBA SP from the top of the heap.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2005, 08:58 PM

Hmm, lets see, instead of online play to play with friends and others all over the world you can play as a little princess in a pink dress among a bunch of black guys.

I know which version I am getting!

"To entice GameCube owners into buying more copies of their latest multiplatform basketball title NBA Street V3, Electronic Arts added a Nintendo All-Stars team. The unique draw of the PS2 and Xbox versions is online play, which the GameCube edition lacks.

And what of Mario, teamed with his brother Luigi and Princess Peach? The cartoon heroes don't bring any special abilities to the court -- just the same superhuman leaping and dunking abilities that all the NBA stars boast in the over-the-top world of Street. Although the novelty is hilarious at first (especially the shock of seeing the squeaky-clean Princess bumping and grinding in pink hot pants), the limitations quickly become apparent -- if both players want to be the Nintendo team, they have to use the same three identical character models.

So although it's not worth buying just for the Nintendo All-Stars, those simply looking for a fun pick-up-and-play basketball game for afternoons with friends will want NBA Street V3 in their entertainment center for any system. Those looking for online b-ball will have to forego Mario and head to the PS2 or Xbox. And casual players should prepare themselves for some frustration."

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...w=wn_tophead_5
Seriously. We don't post messages about every crap game that comes out for PS2.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 09:34 PM

If we posted about every crappy sony game... I think we'd take down MacNN's servers.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
If we posted about every crappy sony game... I think we'd take down MacNN's servers.
True. Than gawd us Nintendo fnboys are content with our gaming, and dont need to be obsessed with Sony or Microsoft, so much so that we spend our time fishing around the net for any bad publicity about them. Maybe you star wars fanboys need to go out and buy more of those games on the PS2 and XBox(since their library is so very extensive) to keep you occupied, and curb your obsession with badmouthing Nintendo when your bored lol.

Seriously, with so many many more games on the PS2 and XBox (as you claim), how do you find so much time to bad mouth Nintendo ? lol... baffling if you ask me.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 11:35 PM

That makes more sense.

Is the PSP really that big? I need to see one of these things up close.
Oops, my bad. I thought you were just mis-spelling PSP.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
True. Than gawd us Nintendo fnboys are content with our gaming, and dont need to be obsessed with Sony or Microsoft, so much so that we spend our time fishing around the net for any bad publicity about them. Maybe you star wars fanboys need to go out and buy more of those games on the PS2 and XBox(since their library is so very extensive) to keep you occupied, and curb your obsession with badmouthing Nintendo when your bored lol.

Seriously, with so many many more games on the PS2 and XBox (as you claim), how do you find so much time to bad mouth Nintendo ? lol... baffling if you ask me.
Actually I'm not a Nintendo Fanboi either... I like em sure, and if I bought a system now I'd get a GameCube (and if the DS gets Palm OS running I might have to buy that) but I don't play games much, I'm to busy and don't have that much income to throw at that sorta stuff. I just remember the days when the PlayStation came into being and ruined video gaming forever. Gaming was cool when it was only nerds and social outcasts... now everyone and their dog has a PS and plays all sorts of main stream tripe...

Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 12:51 AM

Seriously. We don't post messages about every crap game that comes out for PS2.
Nothing to do with it. This is proof how Nintendo caters to kids and doesn't give people what they want but rely on a fanboy wetting himself when 20 year old characters are in it.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 01:44 AM

Nothing to do with it. This is proof how Nintendo caters to kids and doesn't give people what they want but rely on a fanboy wetting himself when 20 year old characters are in it.
Maybe, but it's not just fanboys.
Spend $40 on Super Mario Bros. and Excite Bike for the GBA SP. See how often you actually get to play it on a road trip as everyone passes the thing around trying to beat each other's high scores.

I've seen a 30 year old woman that hasn't gamed in years sit down and play SMB for several hours nonstop. Those games bring back the golden age of gaming when everyone went to whichever "friend's" house had a nintendo to play the next great game.
"I got next game."
"No I already called it."

Those kinds of instant fun with little time investment games are the ones I think make portable gaming worthwile.

Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 03:14 AM

If Nintendo is apparently the ONLY one making quality games than why are they being nominated for so few game awards?

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30397

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 06:07 AM

If Nintendo is apparently the ONLY one making quality games than why are they being nominated for so few game awards?

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30397
Same reason why a lot of great movies dont get academy awards, and ones like Titanic do. Same reason why N'Sync and Backstreet Boys get nominated and make more sales, and ones like Smashing Pumkins dont.

Serious question though... if you love your PS2, XBox and PSP, why dont you just start topics to post the positives about them ? why do you have to resort to badmouthing Nintendo ? to be honest i dont care what the hell you guys play, it dosent effect me in the least.... heck you dont see me going around starting topics badmouthing the PS2 and Xbox or preaching to PC users about Macs (unless they ask, or start the discussion). seriously let it go. You dont like the gamecube...great. give up the constant badmouthing.... there's just as much bad press about the PS2 and Xbox, it's just that most of us really dont care. Use what you want, and we'll use what we want.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 16, 2005 at 06:19 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Serious question though... if you love your PS2, XBox and PSP, why dont you just start topics to post the positives about them ?
Bad question to have ask as I have started more positive threads about said systems than anything about Nintendo

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 02:11 PM

Bad question to have ask as I have started more positive threads about said systems than anything about Nintendo
Have you thought that no one is going to care every time you post about a crappy game? There are tons of crappy games out there for all systems. I already try to ignore the Gamecube ones at the store... I don't need to hear about them here... I don't see why you have to tell us every time a game gets bad reviews. There are bad games on Gamecube too... we get it.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 02:12 PM

Have you thought that no one is going to care every time you post about a crappy game? There are tons of crappy games out there for all systems. I already try to ignore the Gamecube ones at the store... I don't need to hear about them here... I don't see why you have to tell us every time a game gets bad reviews. There are bad games on Gamecube too... we get it.
You still don't get it? That game is one that is available for all systems and it demonstrates as to WHY people wouldn't want gamecube version of it as it is the worst of all 3 for incredibly stupid reasons. Read the review.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 02:18 PM

You still don't get it? That game is one that is available for all systems and it demonstrates as to WHY people wouldn't want gamecube version of it as it is the worst of all 3 for incredibly stupid reasons. Read the review.
You do realize its a game I wouldn't buy anyway no matter which of the 3 systems I had.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 02:27 PM

You do realize its a game I wouldn't buy anyway no matter which of the 3 systems I had.
Ya so, doesn't change the point any.

Moving on....

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 02:34 PM

Ya so, doesn't change the point any.

Moving on....
I doubt anyone on the Gamecube would buy that game. Gamecube isn't a system for sports games... if you haven't noticed...

If no one is going to buy it does it really matter how crappy it is? I mean.. if the next Zelda were crappy, that would be disappointing... but some basketball game? And people are supposed to care?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 02:56 PM

People like playing basketball games. If they can get only get good ones on the PS2 and Xbox, they will buy one of those rather than a GameCube.

That's why it's important.

It's not just Basketball games, you can apply this formula to any genre other than 1st party Nintendo games.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 03:07 PM

People like playing basketball games. If they can get only get good ones on the PS2 and Xbox, they will buy one of those rather than a GameCube.
Not to mention being able to play against real people online.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 03:31 PM

That's why it's important.

It's not just Basketball games, you can apply this formula to any genre other than 1st party Nintendo games.
Or, using reverse logic, people will only make good basketball games on Gamecube if people who own Gamecubes actually care about them. Each system has its strength, and sports games are definitely not Gamecubes. It's like a gamer complaining about the lack of games for the Mac. If a gamer wants a computer for games, they don't buy a Mac. Simple as that. You don't buy a Nintendo system for sports games. In return, the sports games vendors don't put much effort into them, they just hope to pick up a couple extra sales.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 01:33 PM

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...w=wn_tophead_4

"Star Fox fans, virtually ignored as they are, will probably pick up Assault regardless of its shortcomings. But listen, Nintendo: Do you really want to cut through the turbulence and get back on the right flight path? Then make the next entry in the Star Fox series a straight-up shooter, even if it means cutting back on the multiplayer mode. There's something wrong if I'm longing to play the Nintendo 64, eight years later."

Personally I have had the urge to do the same thing lately. I loved the old Star Fox and Conkers. Can't wait till Conkers comes out on XBOX.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 01:36 PM

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...w=wn_tophead_4

"Star Fox fans, virtually ignored as they are, will probably pick up Assault regardless of its shortcomings. But listen, Nintendo: Do you really want to cut through the turbulence and get back on the right flight path? Then make the next entry in the Star Fox series a straight-up shooter, even if it means cutting back on the multiplayer mode. There's something wrong if I'm longing to play the Nintendo 64, eight years later."

Personally I have had the urge to do the same thing lately. I loved the old Star Fox and Conkers. Can't wait till Conkers comes out on XBOX.
^^

See above posts again.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 01:43 PM

^^

See above posts again.
Does some sort of alarm go off in your house every time I post in this topic telling you do pause Mario Party and run here to post a defense?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 02:50 PM

Does some sort of alarm go off in your house every time I post in this topic telling you do pause Mario Party and run here to post a defense?
Actually I posted in the 5 minute break between classes.

The Mario Party crowd is kinda mad I haven't been playing. I've been playing World of Warcraft during my breaks now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules