Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT!

3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT! (Page 8)
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 08:26 PM

The amazing Nintendo Marketing is at it again. This makes me want to run out and get a DS right now.

http://www.touchingisgood.com/

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by starman:
The PS2 had EXCELLENT launch titles.
Um, no it didn't. The PS2 launched with Madden and a bunch of crap. The really good games didn't come until later.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
The amazing Nintendo Marketing is at it again. This makes me want to run out and get a DS right now.

What I find so funny about this whole thing is if I just posted something similar on the PSP, SWG would tell me I'm obsessed, go have fun playing on the DS I don't actually own, and to go elsewhere.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 06:32 AM

The PS2 had EXCELLENT launch titles.

The DS did not.

Done.

Mike
Was metal gear a card game as well ?

The thing about backwards compatibility is...when you are changing the fundamental building blocks of gameplay, you want users to buy into the system and have a descent library to lean on until developers learn and exploit the innovation in a new system.

Hence OSX was backwards compatible with OS9, and the G5 can run software compiled for G3s and G4s. Eventually there will be great software to exploit the new hardware.... a new processor, new gameplay styles, etc...

And well when that happens, ...G5 owners will have optomized software exploiting 64bit capabilities. P4 owners will have the same software running at a higher clock speed....DS owners will have new areas of portable gameplay such as RPGs,FPSs, and strategy games....and PSP owners will have a photo realistic card games and racing games...cause trying to do RPGs, strategy games, FPSs, etc....would just not work very well on it.

Thats why DS owners are buying GBA games right now. and thats why the revolution will be backwards compatible as well.

Luckily we wstill have risk takers in the gaming industry...much likeApple being the risk taker in the computer industry.

Cheers.

PS>>im sure there were many PS2 owners who baught PS1 games for a couple of months after launch of the PS2.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 31, 2005 at 07:33 AM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 06:39 AM

What what ? this cant be....Nintendo should have made a big breasted CG woman with a bikini, or a big marine with steroid-muscles ...how on earth do they expect to sell a gaming console while 'thinking different'.

they better get back in line.....and so should Apple. (sarcasm)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 07:04 AM

I find the dog one cool

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Um, no it didn't. The PS2 launched with Madden and a bunch of crap. The really good games didn't come until later.
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/080/080046p1.html?fromint=1

Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
SSX (EA, Sports)
NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
FIFA 2001 MLS (EA, Sports)
Kessen (EA, Adventure)
X Squad (EA, Action)
Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
Sim Theme Park (to be renamed as Theme Park World) (EA, sim)
Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
Summoner (THQ, RPG)
Ready to Rumble (Midway, Boxing)
Star Wars: Starfighter (LucasArts, Action-Shooter)
Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
Timesplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
Fusion GT (Hresvelgr in Japan) (Crave, Racing)
Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)

Those were crap?

Let's go through them, shall we?

SSX was an amazing game. I still own it, and play it from time to time.
Ridge Racer was a great driving sim. Not GT by any means, but it was very, very good.
Star Wars: Starfighter was a serious upgrade from Rogue Squadron on the N64
Midnight Club: I didn't buy this, but it was quite popular.
Unreal Tournament: You think that was crap?
Tekken Tag Tournament: Again -

Keep telling yourself that you're a Nintendo fanboy.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Was metal gear a card game as well ?

The thing about backwards compatibility is...when you are changing the fundamental building blocks of gameplay, you want users to buy into the system and have a descent library to lean on until developers learn and exploit the innovation in a new system.

Hence OSX was backwards compatible with OS9, and the G5 can run software compiled for G3s and G4s. Eventually there will be great software to exploit the new hardware.... a new processor, new gameplay styles, etc...

And well when that happens, ...G5 owners will have optomized software exploiting 64bit capabilities. P4 owners will have the same software running at a higher clock speed....DS owners will have new areas of portable gameplay such as RPGs,FPSs, and strategy games....and PSP owners will have a photo realistic card games and racing games...cause trying to do RPGs, strategy games, FPSs, etc....would just not work very well on it.

Thats why DS owners are buying GBA games right now. and thats why the revolution will be backwards compatible as well.

Luckily we wstill have risk takers in the gaming industry...much likeApple being the risk taker in the computer industry.

Cheers.

PS>>im sure there were many PS2 owners who baught PS1 games for a couple of months after launch of the PS2.
HAHAHAHHAHA. How much did you hurt yourself to write all that? Nobody bought OS9 crap AFTER OS X was released. Ever hear of a little app called QUARK? People STUCK with OS 9 because of Quark (I should know, I'm in that business...we had to support OS 9 because of these Quark-wielding weenies). Don't give me that crap about backwards compatability. Yes, it's nice to have and yes it helps sells consoles, but NO people don't buy a new system to play the older crap. Buying the older crap is a side-effect of a system that supports backwards compatability, but not the driving force behind it.

Mike

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 08:56 AM

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/080/080046p1.html?fromint=1

Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
SSX (EA, Sports)
NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
FIFA 2001 MLS (EA, Sports)
Kessen (EA, Adventure)
X Squad (EA, Action)
Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
Sim Theme Park (to be renamed as Theme Park World) (EA, sim)
Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
Summoner (THQ, RPG)
Ready to Rumble (Midway, Boxing)
Star Wars: Starfighter (LucasArts, Action-Shooter)
Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
Timesplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
Fusion GT (Hresvelgr in Japan) (Crave, Racing)
Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)

Those were crap?

Yes.

SSX was an amazing game. I still own it, and play it from time to time.
Ridge Racer was a great driving sim. Not GT by any means, but it was very, very good.
Star Wars: Starfighter was a serious upgrade from Rogue Squadron on the N64
Midnight Club: I didn't buy this, but it was quite popular.
Unreal Tournament: You think that was crap?
Tekken Tag Tournament: Again -
SSX is boring. Racing games are stupid. I don't like first-person shooters. I haven't played fighting games since the glory days of SF2. AFAIC, no worthwhile RPG, no good action-adventure game, no tennis, and no puzzle game equals Madden and a bunch of crap. YMMV, "fanboy."

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 09:09 AM

Yes.

SSX is boring. Racing games are stupid. I don't like first-person shooters. I haven't played fighting games since the glory days of SF2. AFAIC, no worthwhile RPG, no good action-adventure game, no tennis, and no puzzle game equals Madden and a bunch of crap. YMMV, "fanboy." [/B]
Well, here is what IGN reviewed these games which you don't see as "worthwhile":

Kessen (EA, Adventure) 8.1
X Squad (EA, Action) 6.8
Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action) 8.0

Summoner (THQ, RPG) 8.3
Evergrace (Agetec, RPG) 7.2
Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG) 6.5

So out of the 2 genres you listed, only one in each got under a 7.0, and two Adv. games got over an 8.0 For launch titles, that's pretty impressive.

Just goes to show that your completely and utterly ignorant and hopeless. FFFFAAAAANNNNBBBBOOOOYYYYYY

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 09:20 AM

HAHAHAHHAHA. How much did you hurt yourself to write all that? Nobody bought OS9 crap AFTER OS X was released. Ever hear of a little app called QUARK? People STUCK with OS 9 because of Quark (I should know, I'm in that business...we had to support OS 9 because of these Quark-wielding weenies). Don't give me that crap about backwards compatability. Yes, it's nice to have and yes it helps sells consoles, but NO people don't buy a new system to play the older crap. Buying the older crap is a side-effect of a system that supports backwards compatability, but not the driving force behind it.

Mike
Jackass.... people still used oS9 software in the early days of OSX. when you downloaded shareware,or older versions of office, etc...that wasnt native for OSX, or ppl couldnt afford to buy the OSX versions when they had the OS9 versions. the same way ppl are playing GBA games on their DS.

ugh...its like arguing with a 10 yr old brat....except ur 30 or something.

So is there something WRONG with DS buyers playing GBA games on their DS ? theyre happy, nintendo makes money off an older system.....and thats not to say there will not be more DS games coming out..
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 31, 2005 at 09:26 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 09:24 AM

Jackass.... people still used oS9 software in the early days of OSX. when you downloaded shareware, etc...that wasnt native for OSX. the same way ppl are playing GBA games on their DS.

your clueless...<sigh>..its like talking to a 5 yr old brat...except ur 30 or something lol.
You're comparing SHAREWARE to something like Quark?

Talk about clueless.

And not for nothing, but Apple allowed EVERYONE to get on the development bandwagon with the Public Beta. Any decent shareware author had PLENTY of time to make an OS X version.

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 09:29 AM

You're comparing SHAREWARE to something like Quark?

Talk about clueless.

And not for nothing, but Apple allowed EVERYONE to get on the development bandwagon with the Public Beta. Any decent shareware author had PLENTY of time to make an OS X version.

Mike
im talking about backwards compatibility..... so what if gamers get their portable gaming fix with games made for the GBA ? eventually there will be more games for the DS.... developers are probably still learning about it. The same way it took some developers like Quark, time to harness OSX.

Whats your problem ? gamers are happy, they play games they buy whether or not theyre made for GBA or DS and Nintnedo makes money. Why are you getting so upset about it ?

Luckily the DS owners have that choice instead of having 24 titles in total...one being a card game called metal gear.

EDIT: and no im not comparing Quark to shareware...there's no need to tie your pantees in a knot about that. i was talking about software and users in general....when arguing backwards compatibility.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 09:35 AM

im talking about backwards compatibility..... so what if gamers get their portable gaming fix with games made for the GBA ? eventually there will be more games for the DS.... developers are probably still learning about it. The same way it took some developers like Quark, time to harness OSX.

Whats your problem ? gamers are happy, they play games they buy whether or not theyre made for GBA or DS and Nintnedo makes money. Why are you getting so upset about it ?

Luckily the DS owners have that choice instead of having 24 titles in total...one being a card game called metal gear.

EDIT: and no im not comparing Quark to shareware...there's no need to tie your pantees in a knot about that. i was talking about software and users in general....when arguing backwards compatibility.
My problem is that I think it's stupid for people to buy a new system when there are VERY few games for it, when they can buy a GBA, or even a used GBA at their local GameSTop for MUCH less. I mean, why not just wait and see what the developers make for it and see if there's an eventual price drop?

Sounds like Nintendo fans throw their money away.

And don't give me sh*t about MGS when the DS is getting that stupid puppy game.

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 09:37 AM

My problem is that I think it's stupid for people to buy a new system when there are VERY few games for it, when they can buy a GBA, or even a used GBA at their local GameSTop for MUCH less. I mean, why not just wait and see what the developers make for it and see if there's an eventual price drop?

Sounds like Nintendo fans throw their money away.

And don't give me sh*t about MGS when the DS is getting that stupid puppy game.

Mike
So NDS owners who paid $150, should wait for good games....and you spend $250 on a PSP which has 24 games in total ?...and so far all ive heard of is racing games over and over again.

Yeah....

PS:: puppy game...interesting artifical intelligence...new UI. Card game...photo realistic graphics....congradulations...like we hadnt seen that before.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 31, 2005 at 09:43 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 09:49 AM

So NDS owners who paid $150, should wait for good games....and you spend $250 on a PSP which has 24 games in total ?

Yeah....

PS:: puppy game...interesting artifical intelligence...new UI. Card game...photo realistic graphics....
The difference is that I'm actually PLAYING the games for the PSP. The DS had, and still has sh*t games except for Super Mario 64 DS.

For the DS I bought:

Madden
Super Mario 64 DS
Wario Ware (for the kids, and they're alreay bored with it)

For the PSP I bought:
Untold Legends (2)
Lumines (2)
Wipeout
Twisted Metal Head On
Dynasty Warriors
NFSU
Namco Musem (Japanese import)

Let's look at reviews, shall we?

From IGN.com: http://psp.ign.com/reviews/

Tiger Woods PGA Tour Sports 7.6
Ape Escape: On the Loose Platformer 7.0
NFL Street 2: Unleashed Sports 7.8
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade Action RPG 7.6
World Tour Soccer Sports 7.4
Metal Gear Acid Strategy 6.5
Need for Speed Underground Rivals Racing 7.9
Gretzky NHL Sports 7.5
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix Sports 8.7
Twisted Metal: Head-On Racing Shooter 8.0
NBA Sports 6.0
WipEout Pure Racing Action 9.3
Ridge Racer Racing 9.1
Spider-Man 2 Action Adventure 7.0
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower Fighting 7.0
Dynasty Warriors Action 6.0
Lumines Music Action 8.6

Now, for the DS: http://ds.ign.com/reviews/

Rayman DS Platformer 6.0
Retro Atari Classics Compilation 5.0
Pokemon Dash! Racing 5.0
Yoshi Touch & Go Action 8.8
Robots Platformer 4.5
Wario Ware Touched! Party 8.5
Zoo Keeper Puzzle 7.0
Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2005 Sports 6.0
Ping Pals Productivity 3.5
Sprung Adventure 4.0
Ridge Racer DS Racing 7.5
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits Action 6.5
Madden NFL 2005 Sports 7.0
The Urbz: Sims in the City Simulation 7.0
Super Mario 64 DS Platformer 8.9
Asphalt: Urban GT Racing 5.5
Feel the Magic: XY/XX Action 7.8
Spider-Man 2 Action 7.5

Look at the MAJOR difference. NOT ONE DS game gets above an 8.9, but the lowest score is a pathetic 3.5! For the PSP, the highest score is 9.3 and the lowest is 6.0

Jesus, if it's not that obvious that the games SUCK on the DS, I don't know what else to tell you.

And it IS all about the games, right?

Mike

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 10:41 AM

Well, here is what IGN reviewed these games which you don't see as "worthwhile"
So you're one of those people who takes reviewers' words as gospel, huh? Those are just people's opinions -- they aren't worth any more than yours or mine. You knew that though, because I suspect you picked IGN because their scores are generally higher for those games than GameSpot and GamePro.

What's next? Are you going to tell me I'm a mustard fanboy because I hate mayonnaise even though plenty of people like it?

Just goes to show that your completely and utterly ignorant and hopeless. FFFFAAAAANNNNBBBBOOOOYYYYYY
LOL! I'm trying to have a civilized discussion, but you keep resorting to name calling. You might want to step back and think about what that says about you. This is just an internet forum, so your lack of maturity is amusing; however, I seriously hope you don't act like this in real life. You need to accept the fact that your opinion is only an opinion... no matter how many people agree with it.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
I find the dog one cool
Ya I am sure it really appeals to teenage gamers and the fact that it doesn't even show a game or a system it is really compelling

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 11:55 AM

So you're one of those people who takes reviewers' words as gospel, huh? Those are just people's opinions -- they aren't worth any more than yours or mine. You knew that though, because I suspect you picked IGN because their scores are generally higher for those games than GameSpot and GamePro.

What's next? Are you going to tell me I'm a mustard fanboy because I hate mayonnaise even though plenty of people like it?

LOL! I'm trying to have a civilized discussion, but you keep resorting to name calling. You might want to step back and think about what that says about you. This is just an internet forum, so your lack of maturity is amusing; however, I seriously hope you don't act like this in real life. You need to accept the fact that your opinion is only an opinion... no matter how many people agree with it.
I didn't "pick" IGN. When I did a Google search for "playstation 2 launch titles" it was the first site that came up. Try it yourself. Sorry to disappoint you.

As for mustard, using Hawk's logic, people will buy one condiment because eventually people will switch to the other one

Mike (not waiting for mayo on fries)

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 12:08 PM

Ok this is more warped than I thought:

"This has got to be the creepiest Nintendo contest to date, and what with all of the touching and wacked-out Marios involved in previous contests, that�s saying something.

In this latest contest, Nintendo will send you a severed mannequin hand which you then take pictures of or use as the star in a home movie. Seriously Nintendo, what have you been smoking? Of course, I�m all over this. I anxiously awaiting my hand so I can start to document my abuse of it. Oh, and the contest is giving away some hot stuff.

The grand prize comes with $1,000, a DS and four DS games. First place gets you $500 and a DS and second place gets you $250 and a DS."

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/contest...-ds-037692.php

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 03:04 PM

Mike
I don't know when you adopted OS X but I was still buying a lot of OS 9 software on up to 10.2.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
I don't know when you adopted OS X but I was still buying a lot of OS 9 software on up to 10.2.
I've been using OS X since the Public Beta (and I even still have my Rhapsody CDs), but I dual-booted until a little while after the final 10.0 was released. I didn't BUY any OS 9 crap after X was released, although I was stuck using Photoshop.

Mike

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Ya I am sure it really appeals to teenage gamers and the fact that it doesn't even show a game or a system it is really compelling
Come on mate ! Under an artistic perspective it would be a cool Nintendogs paper ad, don�t you think so ?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Come on mate ! Under an artistic perspective it would be a cool Nintendogs paper ad, don�t you think so ?
yes and no. Unfortunately it isn't selling anything in that ad and most people will wonder what the hell it is.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
yes and no. Unfortunately it isn't selling anything in that ad and most people will wonder what the hell it is.
Thats usually a good thing in advertising. It gets people curious and gets them to go to the web site...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 11:30 AM

I got Yoshi: Touch & Go from GameFly yesterday and I'm seriously wondering what the hell is going on at Nintendo. I remember a time when they used to put out AAA titles every month or two. Now they are giving us this crap? It's a damn mini-game for $30. It's basically one level. If I had actually bought this game I would be seriously pissed off.

Had Nintendo disolved most of their in house development teams? What are they working on? Half the games the put out are by other development houses. Starfox, Minish Cap, F-Zero... they can't even bother to develop their own franchises anymore!

All we get are rehashes of 10 year old games and sequels to Mario games. Mario Party 6, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Tennis 17... Look at what they have put out for the DS. Wario Ware, which is a collection of 2 second mini-games, Super Mario 64, which is a remake of a 10 year old game and Yoshi Touch and Go, which is a single Mini game. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Can you imagine if they launched the N64 with a remake of Super Mario Bros? Who would have bought it? Where are the quality titles? Where are the NEW GAMES?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
I got Yoshi: Touch & Go from GameFly yesterday and I'm seriously wondering what the hell is going on at Nintendo. I remember a time when they used to put out AAA titles every month or two. Now they are giving us this crap? It's a damn mini-game for $30. It's basically one level. If I had actually bought this game I would be seriously pissed off.

Had Nintendo disolved most of their in house development teams? What are they working on? Half the games the put out are by other development houses. Starfox, Minish Cap, F-Zero... they can't even bother to develop their own franchises anymore!

All we get are rehashes of 10 year old games and sequels to Mario games. Mario Party 6, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Tennis 17... Look at what they have put out for the DS. Wario Ware, which is a collection of 2 second mini-games, Super Mario 64, which is a remake of a 10 year old game and Yoshi Touch and Go, which is a single Mini game. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Can you imagine if they launched the N64 with a remake of Super Mario Bros? Who would have bought it? Where are the quality titles? Where are the NEW GAMES?
BINGO!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 12:35 AM

Some more honest realistic opinions from a Nintendo site:
http://planetgamecube.com/specials.c...profile&id=547

And how Nintendo Marketing avoids the questions of how no new games are coming out this month:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/600/600917p1.html

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 08:14 AM

Some more honest realistic opinions from a Nintendo site:
http://planetgamecube.com/specials.c...profile&id=547

And how Nintendo Marketing avoids the questions of how no new games are coming out this month:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/600/600917p1.html
EDIT:

RangerJoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 09:18 AM

I thinking it's just taking some time for developers to actually make good use of the touch pad. It's too different (kinda...). Warioware was fun, because the games were just so random. But in reality, you're just doing the same thing over and over again.

I actually can't wait for mario kart. That and animal crossing DS were the two titles that got me to choose the DS over the PSP.

btw, omg. lumines is a highly addictive game. I made my friend miss his bus home because I wouldn't give him back his PSP.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 11:55 AM

It's not just the DS... where are the quality Cube and GBA games????

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 12:04 PM

Pikmen 2 was cool but after a week you never want to touch it again. I really didn't like Metroid 2, nothing new from the original and the cut scenes were so horrible they felt like they were from N64.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 02:57 AM

This has been discussed already........ there are many many many great exclusive first, second and third party titles on all Nintendo platforms. Just cause it dosent have as many crappy games on shelves, dosent mean it's library is lacking. Whats there, is quality (kinda like software on the Mac). And although theres more available for the PS2 and XBox (like with Windows) that dosent mean theyre great games. So quit bringing up an argument with no credibility.

I could make a list of great titles for you, but theres no point, because no matter how great the games Nintendo make are, or how much profit they generate, or units they sell or awards they win. Graphics whores and geeks like yourself, will never be happy until it has a Microsoft or Sony logo on it.

Nintendo like any other corporation has it's faults, just like Microsoft, sony, Apple, etc. But i buy it's products because it's a risk taker, an innovator, a leader , like Apple, and it's philosophy on gaming is something i agree with.... And do many millions of others, who buy their games, buy their platforms, and who dont mind paying an amount that generates profits for Nintendo.

Just like with Apple.... Apple hasnt gone away. it dosent have the user base, developer base or nearly as many software titles as windows, yet those who buy its products buy it for a reason... Apples alive, fluorishing, generating profit, and most important....innovating. unlike the followers. So yeah Nintendo is doing to games what apple did for computers. And like ive said before... its quality vs quantity...apparently, ure taken with quantity, so knock yourself out with yet another FPS with a different skin that boasts online play, which claims its the next best thing since....white bread.

I hate Wintel users who constantly bash the Mac because it's because of the Mact hat they actually enjoy unsing windows and the numerous innovations that Microsoft and others copies. Similarily i hate gamers who bash Nintendo, which was and still is the major innovator in this industry, while they use technologies pioneered by Nintendo, whether it's analog controllers, wireless controllers, third person camera controls or anything else that Nintendo has pioneered and the others have copied.

So quit your bitching....you sound like Wintel users arguing that Windows an Itel are so much more better than Macs.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 7, 2005 at 03:12 AM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 03:42 AM

I liked how SWG has derailed every single video game thread on the board into a DS vs. PSP thread, no matter what the topic. Ronnie, in the mean time is trying to derail every thread, video games or not, into a PSP thread.

Last I checked the topic here was Gamecube games, but oh well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 08:00 AM

I liked how goMac has derailed every single video game thread on the board into a DS vs. PSP thread, no matter what the topic. Ronnie, in the mean time is trying to derail every thread, video games or not, into a PSP thread.

Last I checked the topic here was PSP games, but oh well.
Fixed...for when you post in the DS thread.

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 02:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by starman:

Mike
[/QUOTE}

thats getting so old and lame. talk about originality "Fixed".....good on you for beating a joke to death.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 03:12 AM

Mike
Post about the DS in a DS thread? NO WAY! I didn't know the purpose of any Nintendo thread was just to talk about the PSP instead and how bad it is compared to the DS. Silly me.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 03:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by goMac:
Post about the DS in a DS thread? NO WAY! I didn't know the purpose of any Nintendo thread was just to talk about the PSP instead and how bad it is compared to the DS. Silly me. [/QUOTE

well i guess ppl who spent 250 as opposed to 150 feel a greater urgency to justify their decision. its only natural

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 10:16 AM

I could make a list of great titles for you, but theres no point, because no matter how great the games Nintendo make are, or how much profit they generate, or units they sell or awards they win. Graphics whores and geeks like yourself, will never be happy until it has a Microsoft or Sony logo on it.
You are just totally off here. I don't even own a PS2. I've owned every Nintendo console ever made. I stood in a line to get a SNES, N64 and GameCube. I even own a Virtual Boy and Nintendo DS. I'm a HUGE fan of Nintendo. I've spent years defending Nintendo. Sticking with Nintendo. Putting up with Nintendo. I tried to make the GameCube my only console this generation and I just couldn't do it. There simply were not enough games.

I ended up going with the Xbox because they had more games I wanted to play and play online. It's really that simple. Microsoft was offering me what I wanted and Nintendo was piddling around with rehashes and kiddie garbage. I had a moment of clarity when I bought my Xbox. I looked at the wall of games available to me, I started reading review after review of games I wanted and I slapped myself for sticking with the Cube for so long.

You can say that the Cube has some decent titles coming out in the next year (and they do)... but for every halfway decent Cube title, there are 5 for the Xbox and 5 for the PS2. Nintendo is dead in the water. They've completely lost it. The magic is gone. Dead. Kaput.

I think that right now there is so much ill-will toward Nintendo in the gaming community that the Revolution will be a legendary flop. I have a feeling that gamers are going to avoid it like it's diseased. Who wants to blow $250 on a console that won't get 1/3 the support the other two do? Nintendo has to bend over backwards to prove to the world that they have changed for them to stand a chance. There software better be so spectacular that it's impossible to ignore the system. That's their only chance.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 12:35 PM

You are just totally off here. I don't even own a PS2. I've owned every Nintendo console ever made. I stood in a line to get a SNES, N64 and GameCube. I even own a Virtual Boy and Nintendo DS. I'm a HUGE fan of Nintendo. I've spent years defending Nintendo. Sticking with Nintendo. Putting up with Nintendo. I tried to make the GameCube my only console this generation and I just couldn't do it. There simply were not enough games.

I ended up going with the Xbox because they had more games I wanted to play and play online. It's really that simple. Microsoft was offering me what I wanted and Nintendo was piddling around with rehashes and kiddie garbage. I had a moment of clarity when I bought my Xbox. I looked at the wall of games available to me, I started reading review after review of games I wanted and I slapped myself for sticking with the Cube for so long.

You can say that the Cube has some decent titles coming out in the next year (and they do)... but for every halfway decent Cube title, there are 5 for the Xbox and 5 for the PS2. Nintendo is dead in the water. They've completely lost it. The magic is gone. Dead. Kaput.

I think that right now there is so much ill-will toward Nintendo in the gaming community that the Revolution will be a legendary flop. I have a feeling that gamers are going to avoid it like it's diseased. Who wants to blow $250 on a console that won't get 1/3 the support the other two do? Nintendo has to bend over backwards to prove to the world that they have changed for them to stand a chance. There software better be so spectacular that it's impossible to ignore the system. That's their only chance.
Wow, almost the same story as me. These fanboys just can't seen to get it in their heads as they only system they have is the Nintendo ones and dont understand what else is out there.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 12:53 PM

Wow, almost the same story as me. These fanboys just can't seen to get it in their heads as they only system they have is the Nintendo ones and dont understand what else is out there.
Some of us just enjoy the games on the GameCube, own it, but also enjoy other systems even if we don't own them. You make everything out to be so black and white in terms of what GameCube owners enjoy. These threads are usually just full of useless numbers, inceseant bashing of platforms/games, and generally bloody annoying since you can seem to grasp that there are people who just genuinely enjoy the GameCube/Nintendo platform but aren't necessarily against all the other systems/platforms available for gaming.

So far I haven't run into a lack of Games on the GameCube - at the moment I own about 10 and there are many others that I would like to purchase. At the same time, if I had pockets deep enough, it'd be great town a DS, a PSP, and a PS2. All of them are interesting and fun systems in their own right. Am I going to own any of them? No. But I'm not going to go around bashing all of them just because I have some vendetta against one of the companies since they don't deliver all that I want. Rant and rave all you want (and this also goes for the Cube "fanboys") but it doesn't change the fact there are great games avaialable for all the systems and that there are lots of people who enjoy GameCube and the Nintendo platform for numerous reasons.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Some of us just enjoy the games on the GameCube, own it, but also enjoy other systems even if we don't own them. You make everything out to be so black and white in terms of what GameCube owners enjoy. These threads are usually just full of useless numbers, inceseant bashing of platforms/games, and generally bloody annoying since you can seem to grasp that there are people who just genuinely enjoy the GameCube/Nintendo platform but aren't necessarily against all the other systems/platforms available for gaming.

So far I haven't run into a lack of Games on the GameCube - at the moment I own about 10 and there are many others that I would like to purchase. At the same time, if I had pockets deep enough, it'd be great town a DS, a PSP, and a PS2. All of them are interesting and fun systems in their own right. Am I going to own any of them? No. But I'm not going to go around bashing all of them just because I have some vendetta against one of the companies since they don't deliver all that I want. Rant and rave all you want (and this also goes for the Cube "fanboys") but it doesn't change the fact there are great games avaialable for all the systems and that there are lots of people who enjoy GameCube and the Nintendo platform for numerous reasons.
No, I think SWG hit it on the head. There are people out there that HATE <insert platform here> for some stupid reason.

The most hated platform is the Xbox. People hate Microsoft. Fine. They're missing out.

People hate Sony. I don't know WHY. Did their sister get hit in the head with a Walkman?

People hate Nintendo because of their "kiddy" image. The thing is, the games on the GC are actually quite good.

What's nice about each console is that they give you a choice in what to play, and a different approach to gaming. If someone doesn't like the Xbox type of gaming, that's cool, but it's so stupid to hate it just because it's non-Nintendo. To me, that's a "fanboy".

Mike

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 01:08 PM

I enjoy the games on my GameCube. There just aren't enough of them for me. (or most gamers). For every Cube game I've bought, I've bought 3 Xbox games.

...and I've had the gameCube since launch and the Xbox for 1 year.

If you can be happy with 2 or 3 games a year, than the cube is a great system for you.

Personally, I love FPS games, so the Xbox was the obvious choice for me. FPS shooters games control like crap on the Cube controller and no one makes them anyway.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 01:28 PM

I love Pikmen 1 &2, I love the first Metroid and Zelda TWW. But with only 3 games I don't like the cube as a whole. I don't like the fact that the media has such small storage, they don't do HD, they don't have online play.

Personally I would go back to LOVING Nintendo if they got out of hardware and stuck to making games for the PS or Xbox. The nintnedo hardware has no advantages over the other hardware, it is just a way to lock you into the 3 great games they come out with a year.

Also in perfect honestly the games I mentioned would have been better in every way if they had come out on the xbox.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 02:23 PM

...Except I would fall into the happily only play a few games category, which we've been over before...

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 02:29 PM

...Except I would fall into the happily only play a few games category, which we've been over before...
Right but you are not the typical player that can sustain Nintendo as a business.

And like that link that I posted before it shows that PS2 gamers are "more casual gamers" than gamecube owners.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 02:30 PM

Right but you are not the typical player that can sustain Nintendo as a business.
Explain.

paul w
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 02:36 PM

I'll chime in as a casual gamer who is using someone elses cube (if that's not telling enough). In fact I didn't buy any of the three consoles. And perhaps it's a good thing i got the cube because it limits my game playing time and forces me to step away from the console the most. I mean I'm basically playing one game at a time, so when I get tired of my head getting ripped of in Res Evil, turn it off and do something else.

But the GC games I've played: namely Metroid, Wind Walker and RE 4 have all been awesome fun. As good as anything else on the market. But jeez, slim pickins. My girlfriend wants me to get that Simpsons game, but it looks, well, weak. And so, nothing I want to buy really.

SO if I had to buy a console right now GC comes in third. Unless a new Zelda and one other NEW and AMAZING game is released very soon. So...no.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by paul w:
But jeez, slim pickins. My girlfriend wants me to get that Simpsons game, but it looks, well, weak. And so, nothing I want to buy really.
I bought the Simpsons game because I had a friend who loved it on the XBox. It's not like the quality of the other Gamecube games, but its fun for driving around and blowing up a few cars.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 04:49 PM

Explain.
Nintendo needs better sales and market share, you 3 games a year people don't carry nintendo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules