Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 5)
lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Opposed to the DS with half the titles and Nintendo selling 1/3 of the games the projected.

uh, ya.
Which one of us is going to break this silly cycle? We both know I was discussing the PSP lineup on its own merits. We both know I wasn't making a comparison to the DS. We both know I don't think very highly of the DS launch titles either (although I do give them a slight edge over the PSP titles -- not to mention the backward compatibility). Now you'll ignore this post because you can't twist it to support whatever your argument is. Repeat.

When I point out something I think is a flaw about the PSP, that is not a personal attack on you. Furthermore, responding with some disparaging remark about the DS isn't going to stop me from seeing the PSP's flaws.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Which one of us is going to break this silly cycle? We both know I was discussing the PSP lineup on its own merits. We both know I wasn't making a comparison to the DS. We both know I don't think very highly of the DS launch titles either (although I do give them a slight edge over the PSP titles -- not to mention the backward compatibility). Now you'll ignore this post because you can't twist it to support whatever your argument is. Repeat.

When I point out something I think is a flaw about the PSP, that is not a personal attack on you. Furthermore, responding with some disparaging remark about the DS isn't going to stop me from seeing the PSP's flaws.
What flaws does the PSP have?

I brought it into work for the first time today. People were FLOORED by it. You admitted that you haven't actually used one so how in God's name can you argue for or against it unless you hold it in your hand?

The thing is a work of art. I'm not kidding. They packed so much into this little portable device and everything - EVERYTHING you'd want from a handheld media device is in there. You think the screen is too big? Once you play Ridge Racer on it you'll have a very hard time going back to that sh*tty DS with its D-Pad and teeny screen.

Do us a favor, stop posting until you've used a PSP. Even the most hardcode PSP haters I knew back when these units were annouced love the thing to death, and the don't even own it yet. The DS is crap. It's built with cheap plastic, the screens are too small, it has no expandability and with everything N makes, it's technologially behind the times. Sony threw down the gauuntlet and said "THIS is what a handheld device should be", and for $250 you get SO FRICKIN' MUCH.

Oh, but the DS has the two screens and Mario.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by starman:
What flaws does the PSP have?
For the last time:

A. It's too big. Yes, SWG, I know it's a little smaller than the DS. Both of them are too big. I'd like a handheld that fits comfortably in my pocket. I can tell by the listed dimensions of the PSP that it won't.

B. The screen is unprotected. It's big and I'm sure it's beautiful, but I don't want to have to put one of those PDA-like screen protectors on it. That design decision means it's not as rugged as the SP. That's important for a portable system. I didn't like it on the original GBA and I don't like it on the PSP.

C. The battery life is shorter than the SP. (Yes, SWG, I know the same is true for the DS.)

D. The PSP uses disc-based media. I'd prefer a handheld to use cartridges or flash-based media for obvious reasons.

E. I'm not enamored with any of the announced launch titles. (Yes, SWG, the same goes for the DS.)

Again, I think the handheld market is going down the same road the PDA market did. PDAs were useful when they did a few things well. Unfortunately, they kept adding unnecessary features and making them bigger at the expense of battery life. That pushed them out of their niche and much too close to laptops. The "latest and greatest" mentality is fine for consoles, but that should take a back seat to portability, battery life, and ruggedness in a handheld. I don't want a portable console replacement. When I'm at home, I'll play one of my consoles. When I'm traveling, I want something I can play quickly, stop at a moment's notice, and enjoy. I've traveled extensively with the GBA SP and it's just about perfect. Any handheld that is significantly bigger is automatically disappointing to me.

Do us a favor, stop posting until you've used a PSP.
I know I shouldn't respond to something so ridiculous, but I can't help it. I don't need to use the PSP -- it's fundamentally a step backwards from the last generation as far as I'm concerned. Who cares about a big screen if you have to lug it around in some special case? I don't. Do me a favor and realize that everyone doesn't share your opinion. How about this: I prefer the SNES to the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox. But it has inferior graphics and older games! The horror!

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 11:35 PM

I want someone to make a decent sidescroller. Are there any out there besides for the handheld systems? Every new Mario or Zelda game is 3d now, which just doesn't have the same affect on me that the old sidescrollers do. I play my SNES/GameBoy more than I play my GameCube (Super Mario Sunshine has got to be the worst game ever) or PS2.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
I want someone to make a decent sidescroller. Are there any out there besides for the handheld systems? Every new Mario or Zelda game is 3d now, which just doesn't have the same affect on me that the old sidescrollers do. I play my SNES/GameBoy more than I play my GameCube (Super Mario Sunshine has got to be the worst game ever) or PS2.
There's a new Castlevania game coming out for the DS. There's also a new Zelda game (The Minish Cap) for the GBA SP. I can't wait to get that one.

Ah, another lover of (relatively) old-school gaming. Starman won't know what to think...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 11:57 PM

Check out viewtiful Joe. it's a 2.5D sidescroller. i know part 1 & 2 are on the gamecube. never played em, but heard great things about em.

and yes i agree SMS was a terrible game...terrible story, and a terrible launch title. And if your into platformers, check out POP:WW. it's an awesome game imo.... just the running on walls, acrobatics, etc, are just so damn cool.

Cheers

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 11:57 PM

Which one of us is going to break this silly cycle? .
Tell you what. You explain why there are more Nintendo fanboys in a thread about the PSP rambling on why it sucks and you will answer your own question.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 12:10 AM

Tell you what. You explain why there are more Nintendo fanboys in a thread about the PSP rambling on why it sucks and you will answer your own question.
That's kind of hard since I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, but I can guess. Perhaps it's because your way of promoting the PSP is by disparaging the DS.

BTW, this notion that I shouldn't talk about the PSP because I'm not fawning all over it is almost amusing. FWIW, I don't think it sucks. However, I'm disappointed in the PSP and I'm explaining why.

Gameboy -> Gameboy Pocket (smaller)
Gameboy Pocket -> Gameboy Color (color screen, but a little bigger)
Gameboy Color -> Gameboy Advance (better screen, more advanced games)
Gameboy Advance -> Gameboy Advance SP (smaller, clamshell, rechargeable battery, backlight)

Now I'm going to bed. Good night.
( Last edited by lavar78; Feb 23, 2005 at 12:18 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 12:22 AM

There's a new Castlevania game coming out for the DS. There's also a new Zelda game (The Minish Cap) for the GBA SP. I can't wait to get that one.

Ah, another lover of (relatively) old-school gaming. Starman won't know what to think...
Some of us play both. Of course, since you're a newbie here, you wouldn't know that...

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 12:23 AM

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 12:58 AM

For the last time:

A. It's too big. Yes, SWG, I know it's a little smaller than the DS. Both of them are too big. I'd like a handheld that fits comfortably in my pocket. I can tell by the listed dimensions of the PSP that it won't.

B. The screen is unprotected. It's big and I'm sure it's beautiful, but I don't want to have to put one of those PDA-like screen protectors on it. That design decision means it's not as rugged as the SP. That's important for a portable system. I didn't like it on the original GBA and I don't like it on the PSP.

C. The battery life is shorter than the SP. (Yes, SWG, I know the same is true for the DS.)

D. The PSP uses disc-based media. I'd prefer a handheld to use cartridges or flash-based media for obvious reasons.

E. I'm not enamored with any of the announced launch titles. (Yes, SWG, the same goes for the DS.)

Again, I think the handheld market is going down the same road the PDA market did. PDAs were useful when they did a few things well. Unfortunately, they kept adding unnecessary features and making them bigger at the expense of battery life. That pushed them out of their niche and much too close to laptops. The "latest and greatest" mentality is fine for consoles, but that should take a back seat to portability, battery life, and ruggedness in a handheld. I don't want a portable console replacement. When I'm at home, I'll play one of my consoles. When I'm traveling, I want something I can play quickly, stop at a moment's notice, and enjoy. I've traveled extensively with the GBA SP and it's just about perfect. Any handheld that is significantly bigger is automatically disappointing to me.

I know I shouldn't respond to something so ridiculous, but I can't help it. I don't need to use the PSP -- it's fundamentally a step backwards from the last generation as far as I'm concerned. Who cares about a big screen if you have to lug it around in some special case? I don't. Do me a favor and realize that everyone doesn't share your opinion. How about this: I prefer the SNES to the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox. But it has inferior graphics and older games! The horror!
Why are people so stuck in the 80's? Look, I have an Atari 2600, so don't get all "old school" on me because quite frankly, you're the new kid in respective terms. So you like the SNES. Big deal. I like the Atari 2600, but I don't get all anal about newer consoles. Remember, there was a time when the SNES was the "better console". People seem to forget that there were many consoles before the SNES, yet all these kids think the SNES was the end-all, be-all of consoles. What about ColecoVision, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, Famicom/NES, Coleco Telstar, Pong, Atari 2600, not to mention the Atari 800 and Commodore 64? Christ, you'd think that these same people would buy a Nissan Stanza and consider it "classic".

The people that don't like the PS2 and the PSP seem to be from the same Kool-Aid camp of people that thought the PS2 was a stupid idea because it played DVD movies and that convergence was a Bad Thing. Well, 5 years later and we see now that the GC really didn't sell that well compared to the PS2, did it? Say what you want about the GC, but it's the console I play the least because it has the least amount of diversity in their games and the crappiest technologically. Why buy a game for the GC with 480p and analog audio when I can buy it on the Xbox with 720p and DD 5.1 for the same price?

So now we come to the GBA/SP/DS vs. the PSP. Well, again, Sony shows that maybe they know a little more about the market than some Nintendo fanboys...the same ones that said a DVD player in a game console is stupid. It's called convergence. People seem to forget that. Ok, so YOU don't want all these fancy gadgets in your portable gaming console. Ok, you know what? You don't have to buy it. Now for me, I take my kids to a lot of places: karate, dance, soccer, gymnastics, etc. It's nice to have a bunch of options when I'm away from home. Hmm..do I want to play Ridge Racer or listen to a few songs? Maybe I'll catch up on some shows. And look, the PSP has a slipcase so this crap about not having a clamshell is utter nonsense.

The size of the screen is too BIG? Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with that. The PSP is roughly the same size as a PS2 controller, so how in the world can it be "too big"? Sony did a great job in designing this thing.

The DS is doomed to the same fate as the GC - niche market. I bought Madden for the DS. What a joke. The problem is that you're there saying that you don't want the PSP. Well, that's great, but what if I want to play Madden on a portable? I sure as hell can't play it on a GBA because the screen's so friggin' small. Ever try to properly play football on a GBA-sized screen? You'd go mad. I was trying to play Pitfall on my GBA SP the other day. It's so much harder trying to time the quicksand when the screen is 2" small.

I can't stand playing Metroid on it because of the controls. I keep trying to roll my thumb around the D-Pad which just makes for a terrible experience. Instead I played the game on the GBA adapter for my GC. Much better.

And one last thing - I went to my local Gamestop today to pick up GT4. Because of a discrepency in the title "Dead or Alive 4" which I reserved a while ago, I was getting my $5 deposit back which the manager said he'd put towards my PSP (yes, I'm also getting an American system for my kids). Now, on launch date of the DS, there were 14 customers at the store. 14 and no more. When I told him that I had paid off the PSP and would rather put the $5 towards the Tekken 5 release this Friday, he pulled out a STACK of PSP preorders to get to mine. At least 60 of them. SIXTY. So say what you will about the PSP because I honestly think it's going to beat the living sh*t out of Nintendo. They were slow in adapting a backlit screen, they have yet to implement an analog stick (sorry, the trackpad doens't count), and they have to make their screen bigger.

Sony knows what they're doing. They did with the Walkman, they did with the PS1, they did with the PS2, and now they're going to be the king again with the PSP. Sony's only recent blunder was the PSX which I would have bought in a heartbeat had it not died before it came to the US.

The only thing I agree with you on is the size of the SP. It's nice to close the thing up and stick it in my pocket, but I'll sacrifice size for the ability to see what I'm doing.

Mike

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 01:20 AM

Nice pics.

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 01:58 AM

My sister saw the DS for the first time yesterday at Target. She played with it for awhile. She kept asking me why have dual screens so I told her Nintendo couldn't figure out how to make one big screen so they just stuck two together.

I'm a big Nintendo fanboy (own every system except virtual boy) but the DS is lame.
( Last edited by sideus; Feb 23, 2005 at 02:38 AM. )

Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 02:14 AM

My sister saw the DS for the first time yesterday at Target. She played with it for awhile. She kept asking me why have dual screens so I told her Nintendo could figure out how to make one big screen so they just stuck two together.

I'm a big Nintendo fanboy (own every system except virtual boy) but the DS is lame.
because nintendo is trying to convince you the gaming market is broken and 2 small screens and touchscreen that nobody knows what do do with is a the way to fix it. P.S try to ignore the DS.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 07:38 AM

Why are people so stuck in the 80's? Look, I have an Atari 2600, so don't get all "old school" on me because quite frankly, you're the new kid in respective terms. So you like the SNES. Big deal. I like the Atari 2600, but I don't get all anal about newer consoles. Remember, there was a time when the SNES was the "better console". People seem to forget that there were many consoles before the SNES, yet all these kids think the SNES was the end-all, be-all of consoles. What about ColecoVision, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, Famicom/NES, Coleco Telstar, Pong, Atari 2600, not to mention the Atari 800 and Commodore 64? Christ, you'd think that these same people would buy a Nissan Stanza and consider it "classic".

First of all, you need to stop assuming. I purposely put in the "(relatively)" because I know the SNES isn't truly old school. I had also had an Atari 2600 (as well as a Commodore 64 and NES). As I said in another thread, I'm not quite sure if the NES or the SNES is my favorite console, but it's one of the two. Don't give me this "new kid" crap. I'm guessing you're a little older than I am, but I doubt by much.

The people that don't like the PS2 and the PSP seem to be from the same Kool-Aid camp of people that thought the PS2 was a stupid idea because it played DVD movies and that convergence was a Bad Thing. Well, 5 years later and we see now that the GC really didn't sell that well compared to the PS2, did it? Say what you want about the GC, but it's the console I play the least because it has the least amount of diversity in their games and the crappiest technologically. Why buy a game for the GC with 480p and analog audio when I can buy it on the Xbox with 720p and DD 5.1 for the same price?

Again, you're letting all of your ridiculous (and erroneous) assumptions color your argument. I like the PS2 just fine. Of the 3 consoles, I like it slightly better than the GC (mainly because it has the best controller and the best library). That being said, the GC is more technologically advanced than the PS2 in some ways. As far as multi-platform games go, I buy the one for the system with the best controller (the PS2, or, if that's unavailable, the GC). Out of the three systems, I play my Xbox the least by far. It has very few games I want to play. The only exclusive Xbox game I really love is Top Spin.

So now we come to the GBA/SP/DS vs. the PSP. Well, again, Sony shows that maybe they know a little more about the market than some Nintendo fanboys...the same ones that said a DVD player in a game console is stupid. It's called convergence. People seem to forget that. Ok, so YOU don't want all these fancy gadgets in your portable gaming console. Ok, you know what? You don't have to buy it. Now for me, I take my kids to a lot of places: karate, dance, soccer, gymnastics, etc. It's nice to have a bunch of options when I'm away from home. Hmm..do I want to play Ridge Racer or listen to a few songs? Maybe I'll catch up on some shows. And look, the PSP has a slipcase so this crap about not having a clamshell is utter nonsense.
Again, I have no problem with convergence in a console. Your "you don't have to buy it" comment is the height of hypocrisy. You're the one attacking me because I don't love the PSP. The slipcase is yet another thing you have to carry, which means keeping track of it. No thanks.

The size of the screen is too BIG? Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with that. The PSP is roughly the same size as a PS2 controller, so how in the world can it be "too big"? Sony did a great job in designing this thing.
It's too big because they had to make the handheld bigger to accommodate it!

The DS is doomed to the same fate as the GC - niche market. I bought Madden for the DS. What a joke. The problem is that you're there saying that you don't want the PSP. Well, that's great, but what if I want to play Madden on a portable? I sure as hell can't play it on a GBA because the screen's so friggin' small. Ever try to properly play football on a GBA-sized screen? You'd go mad. I was trying to play Pitfall on my GBA SP the other day. It's so much harder trying to time the quicksand when the screen is 2" small.
I had no intention of getting either a DS or a PSP, but I got a DS for my birthday. Madden is the only game I have, but I really enjoy it. I have no problem seeing the screen; I guess it pays to be the "new kid," huh?

And one last thing - I went to my local Gamestop today to pick up GT4. Because of a discrepency in the title "Dead or Alive 4" which I reserved a while ago, I was getting my $5 deposit back which the manager said he'd put towards my PSP (yes, I'm also getting an American system for my kids). Now, on launch date of the DS, there were 14 customers at the store. 14 and no more. When I told him that I had paid off the PSP and would rather put the $5 towards the Tekken 5 release this Friday, he pulled out a STACK of PSP preorders to get to mine. At least 60 of them. SIXTY. So say what you will about the PSP because I honestly think it's going to beat the living sh*t out of Nintendo. They were slow in adapting a backlit screen, they have yet to implement an analog stick (sorry, the trackpad doens't count), and they have to make their screen bigger.
This is frustrating. I get a hint you're rather intelligent, but it seems like you have a problem understanding simple concepts. Apparently, everyone doesn't want the same thing in a handheld. I'm ecstatic that you're happy with the PSP. Knock yourself out. But don't criticize me because I want something that will fit in my pocket above all else. We are obviously very different gamers. For example, I wouldn't buy Ridge Racer if it were the only game available. Racing games bore me.

Sony knows what they're doing. They did with the Walkman, they did with the PS1, they did with the PS2, and now they're going to be the king again with the PSP. Sony's only recent blunder was the PSX which I would have bought in a heartbeat had it not died before it came to the US.
This is the same Sony who let Apple take over the portable-music market, right? The creators of the Mini Disc? Sony Connect? Just checking.

The only thing I agree with you on is the size of the SP. It's nice to close the thing up and stick it in my pocket, but I'll sacrifice size for the ability to see what I'm doing.
But I won't. Case closed.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 09:19 AM

All your replies seem to be some way of convincing yourself that you don't want this thing, yet I'll bet in the back of your head you know that this is damn cool. All you say is "I don't want it, I don't like it". Fine, but there are millions of people that do want it.

Mike

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 10:33 AM

Not at all. Nintendo still has the best games on the market.
If you're 10 y/o...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 03:22 PM

All your replies seem to be some way of convincing yourself that you don't want this thing, yet I'll bet in the back of your head you know that this is damn cool. All you say is "I don't want it, I don't like it". Fine, but there are millions of people that do want it.
No, I'm trying to convince you that there are plenty of people who don't want it (and for perfectly valid reasons). ort888 is another in this very thread. Your (erroneous) assumption that I secretly want it is proof you still don't get it. The fact that "millions of people" want it is irrelevant. I also don't want Windows or cigarettes -- I couldn't care less how popular they are. Millions of people want the DS, but you don't. There's nothing wrong with that. After all, the opinion of the buyer/user is what matters.

Originally posted by MacNStein:
If you're 10 y/o...
That reply makes me think you're ten years old.

Anyway, I'm done. You guys aren't even trying to understand.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 03:34 PM

No, I'm trying to convince you that there are plenty of people who don't want it (and for perfectly valid reasons). ort888 is another in this very thread. Your (erroneous) assumption that I secretly want it is proof you still don't get it. The fact that "millions of people" want it is irrelevant. I also don't want Windows or cigarettes -- I couldn't care less how popular they are. Millions of people want the DS, but you don't. There's nothing wrong with that. After all, the opinion of the buyer/user is what matters.

That reply makes me think you're ten years old.

Anyway, I'm done. You guys aren't even trying to understand.
Why do you CARE? Are you doing to rag on me for buying a Chevy just because millions of people buy Fords? Christ, we're all MAC USERS and you're trying to convince me about a product you think nobody likes? Do you see the irony here?

Mike

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 04:30 PM

Why do you CARE? Are you doing to rag on me for buying a Chevy just because millions of people buy Fords? Christ, we're all MAC USERS and you're trying to convince me about a product you think nobody likes? Do you see the irony here?

Mike
He being a fanboy feels threatened by the PSP and is trying to convince himself and other that Nintendo is the only innovator on the market.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 04:42 PM

People who don't get the dual screen on DS kinda scare me. It's easy to see where this could go. Look at Four Swords and then look at dual screens. The two are meant for each other. I really think DS is going to be the much better multiplayer system. The two screens will rock in multiplayer. Show a group status, and then you have your main screen. I think the PSP is in a different league. The PSP is more meant to take on the single player market. I expect as time goes on Nintendo will start a huge push for multiplayer on DS. Think about it. The DS is affordable enough that everyone can buy them, and the hardware is very much built for multiplayer. Nintendo sacrificed some graphics quality for price. This explains why Nintendo is keeping both the Gameboy and the DS. The Gameboy is more geared for those who want a quick game on the road. The DS is more geared towards play with friends.

And if everyone buys a DS for playing multiplayer with each other. the PSP won't do as well because it will simply be "that other system".
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
He being a fanboy feels threatened by the PSP and is trying to convince himself and other that Nintendo is the only innovator on the market.
The fact that he hasn't even tried one yet really makes me feel like he's in complete denial. When I took the thing to work, people older than me wanted it. It's THAT COOL. I don't want that to sound like I think people in their 40's aren't hip, but the older people get, in general, the less toys they want so you know this is going to strike a nerve with a lot of people.

I went to pick up GT4 last night and I'm BSing with the people in the store. This kid was with his mom and went to the DS display and said "look mom the DS" and me and the manager looked at each other and said "look a PSP". The kid couldn't run over fast enough. The DS just sat there lonely on the shelf while the kid eyed the PSP. My nephew wants one. Almost everyone I show it to wants one. This is one case where I don't think Mario can save an entire platform.

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
The PSP is more meant to take on the single player market. I expect as time goes on Nintendo will start a huge push for multiplayer on DS. Think about it. The DS is affordable enough that everyone can buy them, and the hardware is very much built for multiplayer. Nintendo sacrificed some graphics quality for price. This explains why Nintendo is keeping both the Gameboy and the DS. The Gameboy is more geared for those who want a quick game on the road. The DS is more geared towards play with friends.

And if everyone buys a DS for playing multiplayer with each other. the PSP won't do as well because it will simply be "that other system".
Wrong again. So far the DS doesn't have any online play games and it has been out for months, Sony will have at LEAST 2 for the release. I know the idea of 5 people sitting in the same room playing games sounds like fun but how often do you run into that.

With the PSP online games you can play with other people online.

Nintendo has shown what it thinks about the online market with the GC.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 04:49 PM

People who don't get the dual screen on DS kinda scare me. It's easy to see where this could go. Look at Four Swords and then look at dual screens. The two are meant for each other. I really think DS is going to be the much better multiplayer system. The two screens will rock in multiplayer. Show a group status, and then you have your main screen. I think the PSP is in a different league. The PSP is more meant to take on the single player market. I expect as time goes on Nintendo will start a huge push for multiplayer on DS. Think about it. The DS is affordable enough that everyone can buy them, and the hardware is very much built for multiplayer. Nintendo sacrificed some graphics quality for price. This explains why Nintendo is keeping both the Gameboy and the DS. The Gameboy is more geared for those who want a quick game on the road. The DS is more geared towards play with friends.

And my reort to that is this:

I don't need 2 screens to play Unreal Tournament just for stats because the game puts them in their proper place on one screen. Therefore, I don't NEED two screens for anything else. I'm not completely against dual screens, but I just don't get it. My kids play the minigames in SM64DS and the touch-screen helps, but that doesn't mean the DS couldn't have had just one screen as a touch screen. I have yet to see anything that TRULY shows how well the dual screens are better than a well-designed game for one.

I just don't get how a second screen magically makes multiplayer games so much easier. A TOUCH SCREEN, yes. A second screen, no.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 04:52 PM

Wrong again. So far the DS doesn't have any online play games and it has been out for months, Sony will have at LEAST 2 for the release. I know the idea of 5 people sitting in the same room playing games sounds like fun but how often do you run into that.

With the PSP online games you can play with other people online.

Nintendo has shown what it thinks about the online market with the GC.
As always you're wrong - it's 5 games, not 2

EDIT: Here's the link for the 5 games:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02...s_6118191.html

SCEA confirms MLB, NBA, Gretzky NHL, ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, and Twisted Metal: Head-On will all be playable over the Internet in "infrastructure" mode.

It looks like Ridge Racer and Lumiens will still allow wireless multiplayer, but only in Ad-Hoc mode (proximity).

That's damn impressive.

Mike
( Last edited by starman; Feb 23, 2005 at 04:58 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 04:56 PM

And my reort to that is this:

I don't need 2 screens to play Unreal Tournament just for stats because the game puts them in their proper place on one screen. Therefore, I don't NEED two screens for anything else. I'm not completely against dual screens, but I just don't get it. My kids play the minigames in SM64DS and the touch-screen helps, but that doesn't mean the DS couldn't have had just one screen as a touch screen. I have yet to see anything that TRULY shows how well the dual screens are better than a well-designed game for one.

I just don't get how a second screen magically makes multiplayer games so much easier. A TOUCH SCREEN, yes. A second screen, no.

Mike
Thats great. On your computer with a 17" screen you don't need dual screens. This is a hand held. With the DS you could put the action on one screen and the score list on another. With Four Swords you can have the overworld on the top screen, and the underworld on the bottom. Given Nintendos recent tendency of using game link with the GameCube for dual screens on the advance, I wouldn't be surprised to see many newer versions of these games stand alone on the DS with wireless. It seems that the DS was built for ports of those games.

As far as online, why would you play online on a handheld? It defeats the idea of portability. I've played online probably once on my Powerbook when I'm not home. P2P is the better way.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 05:03 PM

As always you're wrong - it's 5 games, not 2
Damn 2 weeks ago I heard only 2. Not that I am sad about being wrong.

Anywho, I told someone in my office that I pre-ordered my PSP. He said right away that he knows people with it and they are incredibly happy with it and it makes the DS look ridiculous.

So far everyone off these boards seems to have the same attitude.

I bet by the end of the year the PSP will have more game sales and hardware sales than the DS.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 05:04 PM

Thats great. On your computer with a 17" screen you don't need dual screens.
So you are saying it is better to get 2 15" Apple LCD's rather than the 30?

Ya if you want 10 inches of plastic between the 2 that sounds just dandy.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 05:07 PM

So you are saying it is better to get 2 15" Apple LCD's rather than the 30?

Ya if you want 10 inches of plastic between the 2 that sounds just dandy.
Uhhh... are you stupid? My point was when you have the option of a huge display, go with it. Neither the PSP or the DS have enough screen size to scale well though, so Nintendo uses a second screen.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 05:25 PM

Uhhh... are you stupid? My point was when you have the option of a huge display, go with it. Neither the PSP or the DS have enough screen size to scale well though, so Nintendo uses a second screen.
No you're stupid

The screen on the DS sucks. It is that simple. It is a step back for the older gameboy as it is 4:3. Also the fact that they are 2 different angles makes reflection a real problem. not to mention the 2 inches of plastic between them you are supposed to ignore.

It should have had ONE wide screen.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 06:07 PM

The DS and PSP can't even come close to what the Sega Game Gear has to offer.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 06:09 PM

The DS and PSP can't even come close to what the Sega Game Gear has to offer.
Lots of plastic and a small screen? The DS comes close than

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 08:38 PM

I stopped readin after this thread turned into a "mine's better" fight. But I have to comment.

At first i thought both DS and PSP were too bg and waay over-priced... I saw the DS in stored and at a friends house and agreed it was cool. A friend of mine just got his PSP from eBay and as soon as I saw it I decided then and there that I needed one. When I decided that I needed it I still thought it was 300 bucks... i would have paid 300 for it. Until you see it and play it in person you cannot understand how awesome it is.

In my personal opinion (please don't flame me for this) I think the DS vs PSP argument is like the Windows vs Mac argument. DS is ugly, cheaper, and has (or will have) more games. PSP is damn sexy, more expensive, and less games, but it has the best graphics and the awesomeness of the wide screen will floor you. Until you have seen it you really can't talk.

I pre-ordered myself one the day after I saw it at my friends house. That was 5 days ago and I cant stop thinking about it. I have the count-down widget in Konfabulator set to countdown to 3:00 the day its released (I can't get it 'till after school).

I was day-dreaming abut it in physics class the other day and did some math to figure out the screen resolution... I came up with 128 dpi. If that is right then the screen is sharper than my iMac G5 set at highest resolution!

Conclusion:
DS = Kid's toy
PSP = the iPod of handheld gaming

Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
. DS is ugly, cheaper, and has (or will have) more games. PSP is damn sexy, more expensive, and less games, but it has the best graphics and the awesomeness of the wide screen will floor you. Until you have seen it you really can't talk.
Actually the PSP already has MORE games hasn't been out as long and not even shipped in the west. Not to mention 5 will have online play on release date when the DS doesn't even have 1 yet.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 09:41 PM

OMG! Can't... stop... responding!

starman, what in the world is wrong with you? You ragged on me for not liking the PSP. I have never questioned any of your opinions. This is a thread about the PSP, so I've explained the problems I have with this system. I never said (or even implied) that nobody likes the PSP. You implied that everyone should like it. This is like the twilight zone! You're acting like I attacked your right to like the PSP when in actuality it's you who attacked my right not to like it. I knew SWG was delusional, but I'm shocked you're acting just like him.

What's so hard to understand? I don't want a PSP. I am not in denial. I don't need to hold it because I know for a fact that it's bigger than the SP. Going from the not-quite pocket-sized Gameboy Advance to the perfectly pocket-sized GBA SP was bliss for me. No combination of features is worth going back in that direction for me. AFAIC, the GBA SP is the iPod of portable gaming while the DS and PSP are those first post-iPod Creative and iRIver products. They kept adding more unnecessary features while neglecting the most important one (size).

Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 10:10 PM

Ooh, a recall on a band new product. Somehow Nintendo missed that the stereo connections are reversed.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000390033072/

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 10:39 PM

lavar,
If you don't want one, why are you in this thread?. It's not this has to be a pro-PSP thread, but I already said that you've turned this into a "lavar doesn't want a PSP thread". Well, we don't care.

I give you 6 months before you break down and buy one.

Mike

Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 10:44 PM

Ya lavar78, if you don't want one fine, this is a PSP thread not a DS thread.

All the time you are spending in here you could be playing your innovative DS but it seems like even forums are more fun for you.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 10:46 PM

All the time you are spending in here you could be playing your innovative DS but it seems like even forums are more fun for you.
Where's that point-and-laugh gif when I need it?

Mike

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 11:14 PM

I don't know what's more laughable -- the fact that you again brought up the DS when no one was talking about it or the fact that you would dare question how much time someone spends in this forum. You're a funny guy.

If you don't want one, why are you in this thread?. It's not this has to be a pro-PSP thread, but I already said that you've turned this into a "lavar doesn't want a PSP thread". Well, we don't care.
You did that.

1. You called the GBA SP "ghetto."
2. I said that was silly since it's better than the two new handhelds.
3. You tried to convince me why I shouldn't think that way as if your opinion were a fact.

At any rate, I have to admit that a big reason I come in here is SWG. The irony of him calling everyone else a fanboy is amusing to me. I've had more of a reaction to you because I just assumed you were a rational adult and we could have a normal discussion. However...
I give you 6 months before you break down and buy one.
I can see now that you're every bit the PSP fanboy he is. You refuse to believe that someone could actually resist a handheld that, despite all these gee-whiz features, doesn't fit in his pocket. You can look for that gif all you want, but I will continue to read/post in this thread until the two of you no longer amuse me. I think I'll be here for a while.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 11:36 PM

I can see now that you're every bit the PSP fanboy he is. You refuse to believe that someone could actually resist a handheld that, despite all these gee-whiz features, doesn't fit in his pocket. You can look for that gif all you want, but I will continue to read/post in this thread until the two of you no longer amuse me. I think I'll be here for a while.
You must have some really small pockets.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 11:38 PM

I don't know what's more laughable -- the fact that you again brought up the DS when no one was talking about it or the fact that you would dare question how much time someone spends in this forum. You're a funny guy.

You did that.

1. You called the GBA SP "ghetto."
2. I said that was silly since it's better than the two new handhelds.
3. You tried to convince me why I shouldn't think that way as if your opinion were a fact.

At any rate, I have to admit that a big reason I come in here is SWG. The irony of him calling everyone else a fanboy is amusing to me. I've had more of a reaction to you because I just assumed you were a rational adult and we could have a normal discussion. However...

No, the USA rep to Sony called the GBA SP "ghetto". I was quoting him.

I thought you said you were leaving.

Mike

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 11:42 PM

No, the USA rep to Sony called the GBA SP "ghetto". I was quoting him.
And you agreed with him. I can quote it for you if you'd like.

I thought you said you were leaving.
I thought you said you didn't care. I'm off to bed, but I shall return.

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:15 AM

Time for a thread lock?

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 12:25 AM

Time for a thread lock?
Why would it be, this is about the PSP nothing else.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:27 AM

Why would it be, this is about the PSP nothing else.
Thats not what the title says and I highly doubt anyone wants to read five pages of bitching, whining, and insults.

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Thats not what the title says and I highly doubt anyone wants to read five pages of bitching, whining, and insults.

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 12:50 AM

Seems you get a kick out of it as you keep coming back and back and back.

You'd love to see this thread locked to live in denial but even if it did a new one would be up asap.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 07:25 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules