Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 6)
starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 09:44 AM

The thread shouldn't be locked, certain people should control themselves a little more.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 10:01 AM

Starman, those pics were sweet. Hopefully they come out with a PSP SP sometime in the future, so I can pick one up sometime after I finally get an iPod. If they could make that thing in a clam shell design the size of the screen, it would be perfect. I might have to get it just to play Twisted Metal on long flights. Kind of OT, but do airlines care if you play wirelessly?

I still love my GBA SP though, mostly for the classic NES games. I played with the DS a few times, and it felt like a cheap POS. It reminds me of a cheap sunglasses case you can buy at a gas station. You couldn't even read the bottom screen on the one at Wal~Mart because it was so scratched up.

That phone you have next to it is pretty kickass too, but I couldn't help thinking it would be better as a clamshell design, lol.

As for the best portable gamer, the portable Atari 2600 at this site http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/ owns all.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 10:10 AM

OMG I want one of these soooo baaaaaad!

The story

Adopt-A-Yankee

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Seems you get a kick out of it as you keep coming back and back and back.

You'd love to see this thread locked to live in denial but even if it did a new one would be up asap.
Yes, I do come back every now an then to see what dead horse you're kicking now.

Oh yes, unless you lay the smackdown on the DS I'll never see the light You're starting to sound like a nut.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 01:13 PM

Lik-Sang just lowered the price again.

$279 for the unit alone.
$329 for the Value Pack (that's $70 more than the US release next month)

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3587

Mike

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by starman:
The thread shouldn't be locked, certain people should control themselves a little more.
For only the second time in this thread, we agree. I doubt we're talking about the same people, though...

Originally posted by iLikebeer:
That phone you have next to it is pretty kickass too, but I couldn't help thinking it would be better as a clamshell design, lol.
I had a Nokia 3650, but I got rid of it because it was too big. It is a nice phone, but I'm much happier with my T610. I will definitely consider a clamshell when I upgrade -- it was hard to see the screen when I used a protector, but it got scratched up once I took it off.

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
You're starting to sound like a nut.
"Starting"? LOL!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I had a Nokia 3650, but I got rid of it because it was too big.
Why am I not surprised?

Mike

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 04:45 PM

Seems more stores have sold out of the pre-orders a month before it goes on sale:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000197033228/
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 07:16 PM

Seems more stores have sold out of the pre-orders a month before it goes on sale:

Do you expect us to believe that?

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Do you expect us to believe that?
No, whatever you say it the truth. Enlighten us and everyone else ignore that post

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2005, 08:05 PM

Hey! Just like the DS!

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Hey! Just like the DS!

I was hoping you'd say that, you just proved the point.

Brand new system to the market with out 20 years of experience to prove itself and it is already selling as well as someone who is supposed to be the market leader.

Interesting times ahead...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2005, 08:29 PM

I was hoping you'd say that, you just proved the point.

Brand new system to the market with out 20 years of experience to prove itself and it is already selling as well as someone who is supposed to be the market leader.

Interesting times ahead...
No... I just proved it means nothing. Game Gear did the same thing, look where it is now.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2005, 08:35 PM

Interesting story on the same site about how Sony may be overextending with the PSP and perhaps taking it too far:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000713030320/

"But will consumers buy into the convergence strategy? This thing is called the PLAYSTATION Portable, after all. Talk about diluting the brand�"

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 03:30 PM

Wow, the fanboy site is also in touch with reality:

http://planetgamecube.com/editorials...profile&id=149

"So where does this leave the Nintendo DS? Shortly after its release in November 2004, it was flying off shelves so fast it looked like the PSP would never catch up. With millions of systems already in the hands of gamers, prevailing wisdom would have the DS in an unassailable position by the time the PSP launched (whenever that was). That all changed on February 3rd, 2005, when Sony announced that its portable powerhouse would ship on March 24th with 24 � yes, 24 - games to choose from. All of a sudden the DS didn't seem so invincible.

And exactly where are those games? Thirteen releases in three months does not a handheld juggernaut make, especially when two of them are the atrocious Ping Pals and forgettable Sprung. Super Mario 64 DS is the only "must-buy" game of the bunch, and I can attest that it's not that appealing to somebody who played through it in 1996. What's worse is that the most-anticipated DS games (Castlevania, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing) won't arrive in stores until August at the earliest. This is the price Nintendo pays for announcing and releasing a system in the same calendar year; it's obvious that Sony's lineup is more polished and well-rounded, clearly the result of longer development cycles all around.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2005, 03:32 PM

Well, I talked a guy out of keeping the TEN he preordered to sell on eBay. I told him that in fact Sony said they weren't going to have the same shortage problems the PS2 had. What store allows a guy to preorder 10 of them anyway?

Anyway, 2 were for him and his kid, the other 8 he was going to sell. When I said that I had one he said "did you get it on eBay?" I wondered why he seemed kind of disappointed I didn't until he fessed up that he preordered 10.

They should go to actual customers.

Mike

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 05:04 PM

People should really just be limited to 2 systems on launch. I mean this is like scalping tickets.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 08:20 PM

+1 for PSP. I take back what I said about grown men (23 yo) being able to play a handheld. Saw one. Came in my pants. Ordered one.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
+1 for PSP. I take back what I said about grown men (23 yo) being able to play a handheld. Saw one. Came in my pants. Ordered one.
That is the exact reaction all you nintendo fanboys will have when you finally see one of these beautiful things in person. pictures don't do it justice at all.

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
That is the exact reaction all you nintendo fanboys will have when you finally see one of these beautiful things in person. pictures don't do it justice at all.
yes but with their pride they wont admit it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Speaking for myself, I don't own either. I just think the PSP will never hit critical mass to succeed. They don't have the game lineup either.

Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 11:40 PM

Speaking for myself, I don't own either. I just think the PSP will never hit critical mass to succeed. They don't have the game lineup either.
Now you just sound silly. The PSP already has more games than the Nintendo DiStraction AND more online titles. Well 5 over ZERO online games

Not to mention the DS is selling 1/3 less games than they though they would. The most wanted titles for the DS don't even come out till August.

Anyway, this thread will be entertaining to look back on in a year.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2005, 11:51 PM

Anyway, this thread will be entertaining to look back on in a month.
Fixed

Mike

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 12:42 AM

Now you just sound silly. The PSP already has more games than the Nintendo DiStraction AND more online titles. Well 5 over ZERO online games

Not to mention the DS is selling 1/3 less games than they though they would. The most wanted titles for the DS don't even come out till August.

Really? More games?

Considering people can run GBA advanced games too.. thats just... what... plain wrong?

Nintendo is beta testing online games in Japan right now. And, as I've said before, online games on a handheld aren't the way to go, PvP is where its at. Stop using buzzwords and acting like they're the greatest thing ever.

As for the PSP being insanely popular and destroying the DS... if you head over to Slashdot the PSP is about as popular as a free barrel of toxic waste. Plus, the PSP is a PITA to develop for, which will be a very bad thing for it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2005, 12:57 AM

Really? More games?

Considering people can run GBA advanced games too.. thats just... what... plain wrong?

Nintendo is beta testing online games in Japan right now. And, as I've said before, online games on a handheld aren't the way to go, PvP is where its at. Stop using buzzwords and acting like they're the greatest thing ever.

As for the PSP being insanely popular and destroying the DS... if you head over to Slashdot the PSP is about as popular as a free barrel of toxic waste. Plus, the PSP is a PITA to develop for, which will be a very bad thing for it.
Ah, yes, the "it doesn't have a lot of native games so let's pimp the black-and-white shite as 'games that count'.

Mike

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2005, 01:01 AM

Ah, yes, the "it doesn't have a lot of native games so let's pimp the black-and-white shite as 'games that count'.

Mike
Oh yeah... all those black and white GBA advanced games....

Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 01:13 AM

Really? More games?

If you think people are buying Nintendo DS's to play GBA games and not making use of the hardware you are just plan nuts. Even I am not saying crap the PS2 has the most games cuz you can count PS1 games that people still buy

For someone who doesn't have either system you sure seem to devote LOTS of time and effort on the subject

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2005, 01:21 AM

If you guys have stopped the bitch fest by then.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2005, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I see your point, but this is a Big Deal for the handheld industry. Not counting the N-Gage, I don't think a handheld's come out since the original Game Boy. People don't like change .

Mike

Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
If the Nintendo fabboys could accept the truth and keep their noses out of this thread.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 04:47 AM

So what are the worldwide sales figures for the PSP and NDS ? im sure there are some figures and no ifs and buts that go with this question.

ive never owned a handheld gaming console and can say with some certainty i never will. I prefer to do my gaming on a home console and play sports outdoors. If im stuck in an airport, id prefer to explore the duty frees and stores, on a plane...there's usually sufficient entertainment to keep me occupied. But yeah.... i wonder which one PSP or NDS has more consoles in consumers hands....

This might sound naive to some people, but i reckon the one that has sold more consoles is the winner...for now anyway. And speaking of pride.....i wonder what you'd call not admitting that the NDS has sold a couple of million more units than PSP.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2005, 08:19 AM

Namco Museum:

Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
So what are the worldwide sales figures for the PSP and NDS ? im sure there are some figures and no ifs and buts that go with this question.

This might sound naive to some people, but i reckon the one that has sold more consoles is the winner...for now anyway. And speaking of pride.....i wonder what you'd call not admitting that the NDS has sold a couple of million more units than PSP.
Hello, come back to reality for a sec... there are no worldwide sales yet as the PSP is only in Japan. You also always conveniently forget the DS has been out worldwide for a while now so no kidding it has sold more

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 02:00 AM

Hello, come back to reality for a sec... there are no worldwide sales yet as the PSP is only in Japan. You also always conveniently forget the DS has been out worldwide for a while now so no kidding it has sold more
too bad for Sony eh ? boohoo

Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 02:17 AM

too bad for Sony eh ? boohoo
Ask me that again in 2 months

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 03:40 AM

Namco Museum:

[snip]
Wow. Thats really pushing those advanced graphics on the PSP. Looks like the PSP has a killer game lineup!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 04:32 AM

Ask me that again in 2 months
why ? dont have an answer right now ? go sit in your corner and gaze into your immiganary crystal balls.

And oh..... since you'll bring in your ifs and buts.... i guess theres no point in asking you what the SALES figures for NDS and PSP in Japan are. give me 2 numbers, one for NDS and one for PSP. if you cant understand the question, spend less time playing games and take an english class.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2005, 09:14 AM

Wow. Thats really pushing those advanced graphics on the PSP. Looks like the PSP has a killer game lineup!
Such denial. Have you seen NM on a DS? They have to CUT PAC-MAN IN HALF. You could play full-screen but it's very small. This is a damn fine way for people like me who like to play old videogames to play them on a portable and NOT SACRIFICE ANYTHING.

Stop being obnoxious about it. Ridge Racer alone can kick the DS's ass.

EDIT: Ridge Racer movie that someone posted on the net:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sherry....azzlaPSP/4.MOV

Mike
( Last edited by starman; Mar 1, 2005 at 09:39 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2005, 09:15 AM

Nintendo is to showcase the GBA2 at the next E3, which takes place in mid-May. Find out the details inside. It has been revealed that Nintendo plan to show off the GBA2 at the next E3, which begins May 17th. The unit will apparently have a large high-quality back-lit screen, as well as analogue controls. With the emergence of the GBA2 fans may be wondering, "what's the point of the DS?" Well apparently at E3 Nintendo will be showing off software that will make the DS more like a PDA. According to Spong the new GBA2 will be based around the GameCube hardware, but that seems like a bit of a jump from the GBA. Still, more will be seen in May.
Interesting. I wonder if the DS will become a landfill item after this announcement.

Mike

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 01:34 PM

Interesting. I wonder if the DS will become a landfill item after this announcement.

Mike
Either way, Nintendo isn't sitting back. A portable GameCube would be much more powerful than the PSP, and easier to code for.

Wow... didn't I predict Nintendo would release a new handheld soon after PSP? Silly me.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 01:41 PM

why ? dont have an answer right now ? go sit in your corner and gaze into your immiganary crystal balls.

And oh..... since you'll bring in your ifs and buts.... i guess theres no point in asking you what the SALES figures for NDS and PSP in Japan are. give me 2 numbers, one for NDS and one for PSP. if you cant understand the question, spend less time playing games and take an english class.
Because the numbers wouldn't make sense now since the DS has been on sale LONGER WORLDWIDE. So you would like to compare the DS's WORLDWIDE sales that have had more than 60 days longer on the market to the PSP which is only localised to Japan.
Please tell me you have the intellect to understand something as simple as that.

You wanting that shows the fanboy reality you are living in.

What I can tell you is that in Japan the PSP has been outselling the DS for the past 4 weeks. That is the only number released so far so if you want to go ahead and discredit that go right ahead

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 01:44 PM

Either way, Nintendo isn't sitting back. A portable GameCube would be much more powerful than the PSP, and easier to code for.

Wow... didn't I predict Nintendo would release a new handheld soon after PSP? Silly me.
A portable cube? Ya because the cube has been such a success and have so much support from the gaming community and 3rd parties.

People are just BEGGING nintendo for a portable cube.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
A portable cube? Ya because the cube has been such a success and have so much support from the gaming community and 3rd parties.

People are just BEGGING nintendo for a portable cube.

This one really just isn't worth replying to. It really isn't. It really just speaks for itself.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2005, 02:54 PM

Where do you come up with this sh*t?

How in God's name do you know "it will be easier to code for"?

How?

How much platform coding have you ACTUALLY done?

I've developed for the PS2, XBox, and GBA. Please tell me YOUR expertise.

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 03:00 PM

"Fret not. I seriously doubt that Nintendo has any plans to launch the true successor to Game Boy this year. Yes, rumors circulated that it might show the device at the forthcoming Electronics Entertainment Expo, but all of them have been based purely on hope and not fact.

The latest bit is from CNN -- and I call it a bit because this isn't news, but conjecture. It stems from an analyst report that suggested Nintendo could launch its new Game Boy as early as this holiday. The same report indicated that the new handheld, which is sure to be significantly more powerful than either GBA or DS, will magically launch below the current price point of the latter. The report also said that while GBA would see a further price drop, the cost of the DS should remain the same. Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Forget that Nintendo just launched DS and has barely given the portable a chance to exist. Forget that launching a new system already would seriously confuse and probably piss off the fanbase. We're to believe that the successor to Game Boy is going to debut later this year to compete technologically with PSP and somehow ship with a cheaper price than DS? Is this a new Nintendo strategy to kill DS? Of course, some people will undoubtedly say, "Well, these are two different product lines and you can't really compare them. Remember, third pillar, and everything?" And to this, I say, I just don't buy it. You can't sell a technically inferior product for a higher price. It just doesn't work that way.

I've no doubt that the successor to Game Boy is deep in development. I also believe that if Nintendo wanted to it could show the device at E3 this May. It might even be able to ship it before the end of the year. But even if that's true, I don't believe a single word from this analyst or from the CNN report. The information is too illogical and too inconsistent."

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/592/592145p1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 03:22 PM

"Fret not. I seriously doubt that Nintendo has any plans to launch the true successor to Game Boy this year. Yes, rumors circulated that it might show the device at the forthcoming Electronics Entertainment Expo, but all of them have been based purely on hope and not fact.

The latest bit is from CNN -- and I call it a bit because this isn't news, but conjecture. It stems from an analyst report that suggested Nintendo could launch its new Game Boy as early as this holiday. The same report indicated that the new handheld, which is sure to be significantly more powerful than either GBA or DS, will magically launch below the current price point of the latter. The report also said that while GBA would see a further price drop, the cost of the DS should remain the same. Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Forget that Nintendo just launched DS and has barely given the portable a chance to exist. Forget that launching a new system already would seriously confuse and probably piss off the fanbase. We're to believe that the successor to Game Boy is going to debut later this year to compete technologically with PSP and somehow ship with a cheaper price than DS? Is this a new Nintendo strategy to kill DS? Of course, some people will undoubtedly say, "Well, these are two different product lines and you can't really compare them. Remember, third pillar, and everything?" And to this, I say, I just don't buy it. You can't sell a technically inferior product for a higher price. It just doesn't work that way.

I've no doubt that the successor to Game Boy is deep in development. I also believe that if Nintendo wanted to it could show the device at E3 this May. It might even be able to ship it before the end of the year. But even if that's true, I don't believe a single word from this analyst or from the CNN report. The information is too illogical and too inconsistent."

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/592/592145p1.html
Think about it. The DS will be the new low end. It's perfect for pre-mid teens. It's decently cheap, has a touchscreen plays multiplayer games wirelessly, and has PIM functionality for organizing school work when the Palm functionality comes. The new Game Boy takes the high end. It's a high end portable system to take the older age groups who grew up with the original Game Boy.

After this the PSP would be kinda stuck. It wouldn't have the price point or the games to go after the little kid market that the DS would take. It wouldn't have the graphics power or the ease of programming that game companies love to go after the high end market. The PSP was too early for its time. Sony should have waited until flaws like battery life and flying UMD discs were worked out. The PSP is going to be the next Game Gear, Dreamcast, Newton, etc. Too much too early. A Nintendo design based on a low power PowerPC could have a very very long battery life.

The one thing I worry about with such a plan is game compatibility. I doubt developers will want to write twice for DS and GB2. They better have compatibility somewhere.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 03:30 PM

After this the PSP would be kinda stuck. It wouldn't have the price point or the games to go after the little kid market that the DS would take.
You are a very confused boy. Sony has said many times that the PSP is targeted towards 20-30 year olds, NOT the little boy market which the DS can have.

The 20-30 market is the one that made Halo the best selling game of all time.

Think about that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 04:09 PM

You are a very confused boy. Sony has said many times that the PSP is targeted towards 20-30 year olds, NOT the little boy market which the DS can have.

The 20-30 market is the one that made Halo the best selling game of all time.

Think about that.
And my point is if Sony tried to go after that market they'd fail anyway because the PSP wasn't designed for that market, leaving them no where to go. I perfectly understand that the PSP was not intended for that market. With the GB2 covering the adult market, and DS covering the kids market, PSP will have no where to go. If the GB2 rumors are true, the PSP platform won't really be that strong anymore in the adult sector. It won't be very relatively powerful, the battery life will be lame, and a GB2 game lineup could honestly be very strong. Do a quick port of Smash Brothers, the new Zelda for Gamecube this year, maybe Windwaker, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2, and it would be pretty ready to take down the PSP on launch. Not to mention a Gamecube based system would be much easier to develop for then a PS2 based system. (I honestly think ease of programming is what is keeping 3rd party games coming to XBox and Gamecube).

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 04:17 PM

And my point is if Sony tried to go after that market they'd fail anyway because the PSP wasn't designed for that market,
They are not. The end. Why bring up your fantasies about how they try in a market and fail?

And you must be the biggest PSP closet case on the planet, you spend more time in a thread about the PSP than anyone else

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2005, 04:22 PM

And my point is if Sony tried to go after that market they'd fail anyway because the PSP wasn't designed for that market, leaving them no where to go. I perfectly understand that the PSP was not intended for that market. With the GB2 covering the adult market, and DS covering the kids market, PSP will have no where to go. If the GB2 rumors are true, the PSP platform won't really be that strong anymore in the adult sector. It won't be very relatively powerful, the battery life will be lame, and a GB2 game lineup could honestly be very strong. Do a quick port of Smash Brothers, the new Zelda for Gamecube this year, maybe Windwaker, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2, and it would be pretty ready to take down the PSP on launch. Not to mention a Gamecube based system would be much easier to develop for then a PS2 based system. (I honestly think ease of programming is what is keeping 3rd party games coming to XBox and Gamecube).
Uh, no.

Look what happened to the GC. "Strong lineup", system died. Nothing could stop the Xbox and PS2. Games came out WAY too late.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules