Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Someone has a tolerance for pepper spray...

Someone has a tolerance for pepper spray...
Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2005, 12:23 AM

http://www.m90.org/index.php?id=9297

I am guessing PCP. Maybe meth.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2005, 12:31 AM

That guy must be in the Matrix with those super karate moves.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2005, 01:22 AM

We sprayed a dude once that laughed and said "I put that **** on my burritos".

Did you notice that when Kung Fu charged, the cop standing behind him took a nice big shot of OC right in the grill?
Nemo me impune lacesset

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 26, 2005, 01:52 AM

Nice. I guess that's why Tasers are getting to be standard issue now.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 26, 2005, 01:58 AM

Cubeoid
Baninated
Nov 26, 2005, 02:15 AM

Whoa(s) !

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2005, 02:20 AM

"I have been sprayed so many times, I have developed immunity to Mace. Such is life. Champagna?"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 02:28 AM

Yeah I'd say PCP too. That's pretty wild.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2005, 06:00 AM

yee-haa !!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2005, 09:49 AM

Don"t confuse pepper spray with mace. Pepper spray is a joke compared to mace. I'd give him 75,000 volts with a Tazer, then see if he has any cool kung fu moves left. I'm betting "no."

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2005, 11:52 AM

Pepper spray is just a derivitive of the oil in hot peppers-it will irritate badly but not cause the kind of overwhelming, incapacitating irritation Mace does. The problem is that aerosol Mace affects everyone in the area, so the officers would be somewhat incapacitated in such close quarters.

Whatever the guy was on, I think the officers handled the situation well. Nobody got hurt (except for some capsaicin in the officer's eyes), and the subject was subdued without any property damage. It sort of exemplifies "minimum force necesary." Well done, guys. Now get those Tasers!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit

"I have been sprayed so many times, I have developed immunity to Mace. Such is life. Champagna?"
hahahahahha that was the best EVER.
iamwhor3hay

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 27, 2005, 01:39 AM

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 11:02 AM

As part of their training, what do all military and most law enforcement trainees get sprayed with? Is that mace or pepper spray? And doesn't basic training also give you a shot at tear gas as well?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2005, 02:55 PM

Most law enforcement use OC (pepper spray), and that's what you get sprayed with in training. It's kind of funny watching the guys standing there with a four foot snot hanging out their nose, right up until it's your turn.

In basic it was (may be different now, it's been a while) CS (ortho-chlorobenzylidene-malononitrile), but they may be using something different these days. The other common aerosol agents are CN (chloroacetophenone) and CR (dibenz (b,f)-1,4-oxazepine). CS has pretty much replaced CN, and you don't want to get hit with CR. Ever.
Nemo me impune lacesset

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2005, 03:08 PM

Those were some killer moves.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
Most law enforcement use OC (pepper spray), and that's what you get sprayed with in training. It's kind of funny watching the guys standing there with a four foot snot hanging out their nose, right up until it's your turn.

In basic it was (may be different now, it's been a while) CS (ortho-chlorobenzylidene-malononitrile), but they may be using something different these days. The other common aerosol agents are CN (chloroacetophenone) and CR (dibenz (b,f)-1,4-oxazepine). CS has pretty much replaced CN, and you don't want to get hit with CR. Ever.
Nope, military still uses CS for training. I got to choke on the stuff at my Officer Basic Course. CS sucks, hard. Pepper spray is pretty lame in comparison.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

baw
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 05:02 PM

I never understood shooting the trainees with OC. Before I was authorized to carry my duty firearm, should I be shot with it first?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by baw
I never understood shooting the trainees with OC. Before I was authorized to carry my duty firearm, should I be shot with it first?
Actually, in some police departments, you are required to be attacked with any weapon you want to certify for. You get sprayed with pepper spray, Tasered, beaten and all sorts of other things. I think it's a sort of ironically brutal sensitivity training. Guns may be an exception, though, because I've never heard of anyone getting shot at.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2005, 05:22 PM

Actually, in some police departments, you are required to be attacked with any weapon you want to certify for. You get sprayed with pepper spray, Tasered, beaten and all sorts of other things. I think it's a sort of ironically brutal sensitivity training. Guns may be an exception, though, because I've never heard of anyone getting shot at.
I'd hate to be the one wanting to certify for a bazooka.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 27, 2005, 06:42 PM

My chem warfare training involved the use of something similar to CS, but the entire exposure was very short. We all piled into a room in full CW gear and had to stand there a while-making sure that our masks were really sealed, etc. Then, one by one, we had to take off the mask and walk out the exit door, thus being exposed to the actual gas. It was a rather breezy day, so when I exited, I just faced into the wind and let it blow the stuff away. Not much of an "experience" in terms of what a riot control agent feels like, but it did get some people's attention when they took off their masks-it wasn't funny anymore!

The reasoning behind making a peace officer get sprayed has a lot to do with making the tool real to them. It's just some aerosol until you find out what it feels like in your eyes, and then you understand the power of it. As Chuckit says, it makes the officer sensitive to what the subject being sprayed goes through. The same should be true of Tasers, though I have no personal experience with them.

As for shooting at an officer in training, in the military we had combat training scenarios involving a LOT of opposing fire-and for some of us it really doesn't matter that we KNOW that they're blanks, because when somebody pops up and looses a burst right next to you, it FEELS real.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules