Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any way to gain back RAM from Roseta?

Any way to gain back RAM from Roseta?
fuzzball963
Banned
Sep 11, 2006, 10:26 PM

I just got my new MBP and have a gigabyte of Ram in it. The only problem I'm having is that whenever I launch any Rosetta app such as Office or Maya PLE, my RAM goes down to around 50MB free space instead of around 600MB. Is there any way to gain back that RAM besides rebooting? I have to use Office on a regular basis but also want enough RAM available to do other things .

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2006, 10:47 PM

Why do you want free RAM? Free RAM is wasted RAM.

Is the application refusing to run?

In short, you're WAY behind on how a modern operating system uses RAM. Quit trying to apply Classic MacOS rules to OS X.

fuzzball963  (op)
Banned
Sep 11, 2006, 11:12 PM

Actually I'm used to having to have as much RAM as possible because I'm coming from the Windows side of things where if you fill up that RAM you can have issues. I also meant that even when I close the Office app totally the RAM usage doesnt go down and then when I try to launch say Call of Duty 2 it eventually exits out due to not enough memory . And I have tweaked the video settins and such on the game to so I don't think that's the issue.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2006, 11:44 PM

fuzzball963  (op)
Banned
Sep 11, 2006, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the link . I always wondered how it differed from RAM reading in Windows

Forum Links
Forum Rules