Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Creating Multiple Choice Questionaire?

Creating Multiple Choice Questionaire?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 10:34 AM

Maybe this is the wrong forum and if so, zap me, but I'm not getting an answer anywhere else.

I want/need to create a multiple choice "fill in the little round circle with #2 pencil" questionaire.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to accomplish this? Either with a company or with an application?

I think some of you big-brains here might know so thanks ahead of time.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2006, 10:48 AM

Buy a bunch of blank scantron sheets? They're pennies each.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 10:48 AM

What are scantron sheets? And where?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 10:52 AM

Yes, I need some sort of scantron system...now how do I print out my own scantron sheet?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 11:04 AM

You would need a scantron reader too, wouldn't you?

Something like this:

Scantron - K12 Education - Products - Scanners - Test Scoring Machine - 888P+ TSM Testimonials

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 11:12 AM

You can usually buy the sheets at your local college bookstore.

Who will be taking this survey? Will you or someone else be present to collect the results? Will they mail them in? Can they be filled out online? What are you looking to get out of it - do you want to see each person's responses, or are you taking a poll and want to see statistics regarding the different choices? It's really dirt simple to put up a web page to ask the questions, collect the answers and report on them.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 11:22 AM

It should be noted that any person who's gone through the public education system in the past 30 years will have a dislike of scantrons.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 11:39 AM

Actually, I found a font to create the bubbles myself so now I'm all good to go.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 11:53 AM

Die Scantron!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 12:10 PM

The City of Scanton is the county seat of Lackawanna CountyGR6 in Northeastern Pennsylvania, USA. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 76,415 (2003 estimate: 74,320). After Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, Erie and Reading, Scanton is Pennsylvania's sixth most populous city.

Scanton is the geographic and cultural center of the Lackawanna River valley, a relatively dense area directly between the vastly rural Pocono Mountains to the east and Endless Mountains to the west. It is the largest city located in a contiguous quilt-work of former anthracite coal mining communities including the smaller cities of Wilkes-Barre, Pittston and Carbondale. Scanton was incorporated as a borough on February 14, 1856 and as a city on April 23, 1866.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 12:36 PM

I don't know why you'd want to use scantrons to do a questionnaire. Unless you have access to a scantron scoring machine it really won't help you at all to use them.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 12:42 PM

And, you won't be able to use a machine to score it if you make them up yourself. Since you'll have to tally it manually, why not just give them boxes to check?

I don't get it.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 12:57 PM

Because we're trying to create a form for managers of the company to use for evaluating employees. We've created it, but had to figure out how to easily administer it. This way A equals a certain number, B equals a certain number, and so on. Based on the final sum or total, we get an idea of where a person will fit in best in the company. Supposedly.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 07:12 PM

I think you're missing our point. Why have them bother to fill in the little bubbles when it won't be machine scored? Just give them boxes to check! Or even easier, have them be graded on a scale of 1 to 5, and the managers just circle the right number! Maybe also put a place on the bottom for the score to be tallied.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2006, 08:22 PM

Through more than 12 years I administered formal, multiple choice tests. It was a "big thing" when we got actual readers for answer sheets. Except that they were a royal pain, were unreliable, and had to be babied to get the basic stats we needed for each and every test instance. Hand scoring a multiple choice test is not that big a deal with a reasonable class size, say less than 100. And generating basic data from that size of group is only slightly more cumbersome, involving nothing more than making tick marks on a sheet of paper for each time a particular option is chosen.

So Cody, how big a group do you intend to survey? And as SirCastor notes, anyone who's gone through public education recently will not be thrilled with "bubbling in" their answers on yet another Scantron. I was rather amazed that when I moved up into graduate education that the school actually provided Scantrons-all my undergrad schools (a number of them) required the student to provide the answer sheet. To many this felt like providing the hangman with one's own rope.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 10:26 PM

I still don't understand why she was wanting to make her own bubblesheets though. Machines can only score their OWN premanufactured sheets, with all the little code bars on the bottom and everything.

If she wanted machine-scored surveys she wouldn't need a bubble-font or anything, just make a survey page with the questions and use the bubblesheets that came from the machine's manufacturer.

If she didn't want machine-scored surveys, there's no point to fill in bubbles with a #2 pencil - that's just aggravating! Just have them circle the answer and tally them by hand like ghporter said.

Am I just on everybody's ignore list or what??

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Am I just on everybody's ignore list or what??
Haha, no, it's just that what you're saying is so accurate, and this thread is all about Cody Dawg's individual issue, that no one else really can respond but her.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg View Post
Because we're trying to create a form for managers of the company to use for evaluating employees. We've created it, but had to figure out how to easily administer it. This way A equals a certain number, B equals a certain number, and so on. Based on the final sum or total, we get an idea of where a person will fit in best in the company. Supposedly.
Damn sexual harassment laws! It used to be so easy to figure out who'd get a promotion. Now it's all bleedin' paperwork.

Cody, see if you can pick up a copy of this. It might completely screw the system you've already got worked out, but it's invaluable for figuring out where to put your employees.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 10:57 PM

I thought I read something once where the downfall of our current hierarchal corporate culture is that people are promoted up from any position they are proficient in, and therefore everybody ends up settling in a position that they're mediocre at, leaving you with a company full of mediocre employees?

Forum Links
Forum Rules