Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Fallout 3 Official Thread

Fallout 3 Official Thread (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
So what was the last single player game you picked up? It has been a while, it seems.
I believe it was BioShock as I don't consider H3 or GoW2 to be all that great at creating an immersive single player experience. The thing that pissed me off in BS is that every food or drink item needs to be consumed immediately, or left where it is.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Sek, if your looking for a melee weapon (since ammo can be expensive and rare) get the schematic for the "Shishkebab". By far the most awesome weapon you build (IMO)... (basically its a flaming sword made from a gas tank and a lawnmower blade)

Other advice: find dogmeat, find the alien crash site and get the alien blaster (but only use in desperate situations since ammo is almost non existent), save mini-nukes at all costs. Upgrade repair skill, makes it much easier to keep your weapons in good condition seeing that you'll find multiples of almost every weapon on a regular basis.
I've got a hefty amount of ammo right now. Grenades for Super Mutants, Sniper/Chinese Assault Rifle for Raiders, and Hunting Rifle/10mm Pistol for Ghoulies and assorted other enemies. I just planted the Mirelurk observer without killing any of them so I have no idea what I would use to take them down. I also observed a Centaur from a distance, but being the pussy I am, snuck away quickly. The only ammo I can no longer get is the .308 Sniper Ammo, which is to bad because, well, I love Sniper Rifles.

I have Dogmeat by my side right now, only I am super anal about keeping him alive, which means lots of talking to my dog to make him stay. I have one mini-nuke, almost sold it but came to my senses (it doesn't even cost any weight). I have neglected Repair skill but that's next on the list, my small weapons, sneak, and lock-pick skills are all more than adequate for right now.

My next side track will be the Alien Crash Site, thanks Bogues.

I'm doing this so far with zero help from online, I read walkthroughs to much and I feel it would completely ruin this game experience. So far so good, still incredibly impressed over here.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I believe it was BioShock as I don't consider H3 or GoW2 to be all that great at creating an immersive single player experience. The thing that pissed me off in BS is that every food or drink item needs to be consumed immediately, or left where it is.
What about Condemned or one of you other survival horror games?

Halo & Gears are both co-op oriented so I agree.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 10:56 PM

I have Dogmeat by my side right now, only I am super anal about keeping him alive, which means lots of talking to my dog to make him stay. I have one mini-nuke, almost sold it but came to my senses (it doesn't even cost any weight). I have neglected Repair skill but that's next on the list, my small weapons, sneak, and lock-pick skills are all more than adequate for right now.

My next side track will be the Alien Crash Site, thanks Bogues.

I'm doing this so far with zero help from online, I read walkthroughs to much and I feel it would completely ruin this game experience. So far so good, still incredibly impressed over here.
Yea no walk through is the best idea, its one incredible experience if you take it on your own, the alien crash site is Extremely Radiated so you'll see your meter go crazy.
FYI:
1. No ammo uses weight so never sell it,
2. Don't throw away multiples of guns until you've tried to repair any you have.
3. Mini Nukes are very helpful in a pitch or when you run into a super mutant behemoth
4. USe the achievements as a guide for missions to do, every achievement for a mission is an awesome experience you don't want to miss.
5. You can sell books but your usually better of reading them for attributes.
6. Lockpick skill is key later, so keep upgrading it. (will make your life easy)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 01:36 AM

5. You can sell books but your usually better of reading them for attributes.
6. Lockpick skill is key later, so keep upgrading it. (will make your life easy)
5. Ugh, I sold the first 4 manuals (or so) that I came upon and only afterwards did I realize that they add points to various attributes. For the last 3 I've wised up.

6. I may be a FPS-centric player, but I know a key attribute when I see it. Get into locked areas? **** yeah!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2009, 01:45 AM

5. Ugh, I sold the first 4 manuals (or so) that I came upon and only afterwards did I realize that they add points to various attributes. For the last 3 I've wised up.

6. I may be a FPS-centric player, but I know a key attribute when I see it. Get into locked areas? **** yeah!
good work, now hurry up and do some missions so we can speak of there awesomeness in a conversational tone

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 01:49 AM

What about Condemned or one of you other survival horror games?

Halo & Gears are both co-op oriented so I agree.
Condemned 2 was damned brilliant (and horrifying) for 4+ hours, but once I got to the "Magic-man's House" I started to lose interest. At first I thought it was due to my fickleness, but in reality if I really like a game I usually finish it and play it again, and again.

If by other survival horror you mean FEAR, I beat it once and that was enough, recently I attempted to play it (I really did) but...yeah...game kinda sucks.

The games I have played more than twice, and finished entirely on each run.

Zelda OoT: Beaten 5 times
Super Metroid: 5 (and started to practice speed runs afterwards)
Half Life 2: 4
Zelda Link to the Past: 3

I've beaten numerous games a couple of times (and started my third run, but never finished), most recently to get achievements and the like, but it's rare to have the urge to play a game immediately after you beat it the second time around.

I know Fallout 3 is good for a second run, even at this point, but a third? Who knows.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2009, 01:54 AM

Super Metroid: 5 (and started to practice speed runs afterwards)

Zelda Link to the Past: 3
I don't even want to think about how many times i've beaten Link to the Past or Super Metroid...
LTTP is over 15 times, no doubt (SNES, GBA, Wii Virtual Console)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 07:37 AM

Well...I lost my dog...

Told him to sit still...somewhere...zoomed around until I realized he was missing. Maybe it's for the best, all I did was worry about him dying all the time anyways.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2009, 10:04 AM

Other than Final Fantasy Legend, and maybe Ocarina, not sure I've beaten any other games twice. Certainly not anything in the modern era.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2009, 10:25 AM

Other than Final Fantasy Legend, and maybe Ocarina, not sure I've beaten any other games twice. Certainly not anything in the modern era.
I must have played through FF3, Link to the Past, and Super Metroid at least 10 times each. And I think I've played through the original Half Life 5 times.

Only "modern" game I've played through more than once is I believe Fallout 3, which I'm on my second play through now.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2009, 10:38 AM

I'll be honest I'm blanking on my entire games collection, but I never played Super Metroid other than a friend's house, and never got to finish LttP before a friend took his copy back.

I do specifically remember playing Wind Waker twice, and becoming bored on the same dungeon near the end twice.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2009, 10:39 AM

I'll be honest I'm blanking on my entire games collection, but I never played Super Metroid other than a friend's house, and never got to finish LttP before a friend took his copy back.

I do specifically remember playing Wind Waker twice, and becoming bored on the same dungeon near the end twice.
Get the ROMs. You won't be disappointed.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2009, 10:50 AM

I bought LttP for my Advance when I was in college. I got stuck on some level and neglected to ever return. I beat Metroid 2 on GameBoy and now I'm just too far gone to care about the franchise anymore. It's difficult to get me to do classic gaming for any extended period of time now. The sad thing is, I restored my old Powerbook specifically for that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 07:06 PM

I bought LttP for my Advance when I was in college. I got stuck on some level and neglected to ever return.
My guess, that was probably the Ice Temple in Dark World. Maddening if you didn't get certain items first.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 07:10 PM

Right now I'm on task 3 of chapter 2 of the Wasteland Survival Guide. Last night's 6 hours of playing consisted of me trying to get to the Tepid Sewers to kill mole rats, of course a lengthy trip through the dark sewers was the way it lead me there. When I emerge I'm still not at the sewers so I start wandering around, end up about triple the distance away I had already traveled.

Highlight so far, to study Mirelurks you have to go to the Anchorage Memorial. I crept up the main stairs and see a group of five Raiders in a circle chatting it up. One VAT-assisted grenade and I get a nice cinematic of all five bodies rag-dolling fifteen feet in the air.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2009, 12:59 AM

Highlight so far, to study Mirelurks you have to go to the Anchorage Memorial. I crept up the main stairs and see a group of five Raiders in a circle chatting it up. One VAT-assisted grenade and I get a nice cinematic of all five bodies rag-dolling fifteen feet in the air.
There is something about the VATS exploding/separated head kill that never gets old

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2009, 10:44 AM

My guess, that was probably the Ice Temple in Dark World. Maddening if you didn't get certain items first.
No, it felt like pretty early in the game. I just configure out how to kill a dungeon end boss and I got bored and gave up.

Sadly, I probably got further during my first run-through back in the early 90s.

There is something about the VATS exploding/separated head kill that never gets old
Could you have possibly gotten more Prince of Persia achievements yesterday?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2009, 10:48 AM

Could you have possibly gotten more Prince of Persia achievements yesterday?
Actually no, haha i wanted to finish up the few levels i had left and beat the game so i could trade it in and buy a 1600MS points card to get Lost and Damned

It was a pretty good game though, by far the best one since the Sands of Time for xbox/ps2

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2009, 10:50 AM

Well, either way, my hats off to you, truly an achievement (get it?).

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2009, 10:57 AM

Well, either way, my hats off to you, truly an achievement (get it?).
Good one!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2009, 10:58 AM

Not really.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2009, 03:42 PM

Actually no, haha i wanted to finish up the few levels i had left and beat the game so i could trade it in and buy a 1600MS points card to get Lost and Damned

It was a pretty good game though, by far the best one since the Sands of Time for xbox/ps2
I thought it was very meh. Combat was boring and repetitive. Story was ok, but the ending more than made up for the rest of the game. Really the best part was the visuals, IMO.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2009, 07:40 PM

Bogues, did you also choose the mysterious stranger perk? Pretty badass.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I thought it was very meh. Combat was boring and repetitive. Story was ok, but the ending more than made up for the rest of the game. Really the best part was the visuals, IMO.
Combat was boring but the running style/visuals/fluid transitions were awesome. Great ending and as a huge fan of the series it was a great "reboot"

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2009, 10:13 PM

Bogues, did you also choose the mysterious stranger perk? Pretty badass.
Yea, awesome! There is some great perks as you progress into later levels, its an entire other reason i want to play through it again so i can use some that i didn't.
( Last edited by klb5090; Feb 26, 2009 at 10:42 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2009, 01:40 AM

So the part where you enter the dream land where you are a little boy and a little girl with a European male voice has you kill people for him....

That sh!t kinda freaked me out last night, and the little tune you end up having to play with a cinder block, empty bottle, gnome , etc... was just the icing on the cake.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2009, 08:11 PM

Fallout 3 Patched for upcoming 'The Pitt' DLC

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 11:40 AM

Sek, so i see on my True Achievements page today that you did the "Stealing Independence" mission, thats one of my favorites. That entire mission is amazing.

EDIT: "True achievements" is like being a facebook stalker with xbox, scary. I keep waiting for relationship status and profile pictures changes on the feed.
( Last edited by klb5090; Mar 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 12:05 PM

Way to hit that level cap in, how many day, sek?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2009, 04:50 PM

Between picking every lock I see and hacking every terminal the XP really flies. What I'm amazed at is I had the "Good Karma" achievements all the way up until level 20 where I turned Neutral, presumably because I helped Ghouls ransack all those rich bastards at Tenpenny Tower.

I am at the last main quest (Take it Back) but I'm putting that off until I discover all the areas since I was so well informed in this thread that once you beat the game, there's no going back in/

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 05:00 PM

EDIT: "True achievements" is like being a facebook stalker with xbox, scary. I keep waiting for relationship status and profile pictures changes on the feed.
Just caught this. Decided to update my status to reflect that.

Also, for some weird reason my completion % is 3% higher when I'm logged in then when I'm viewing it not logged. WTF?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2009, 11:18 PM

Between picking every lock I see and hacking every terminal the XP really flies. What I'm amazed at is I had the "Good Karma" achievements all the way up until level 20 where I turned Neutral, presumably because I helped Ghouls ransack all those rich bastards at Tenpenny Tower.

I am at the last main quest (Take it Back) but I'm putting that off until I discover all the areas since I was so well informed in this thread that once you beat the game, there's no going back in/
yea you gotta watch that last quest comes up quick towards the end, make sure you go "scouting party" (another achievement) as the True Achievement stalker i am, i see that you haven't done some of the more 'interesting' and fun quests.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2009, 11:21 PM

Just caught this. Decided to update my status to reflect that.

Also, for some weird reason my completion % is 3% higher when I'm logged in then when I'm viewing it not logged. WTF?
haha, i made sure to update mine as well...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2009, 11:50 PM

Right now I'm working on the "Found 100 locations" achievement, luckily I've got Fawkes and his Laser Gatling Gun to help me with the numerous Yao Guoi, Giant Radscorpions, and Deathclaws that inhabit much of the outer areas of the map.

Also, put me down for my favorite weapon being the Nuka Grenade. It's powerful, the parts are abundant, and it's a nice show when you set one off.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2009, 12:19 AM

Right now I'm working on the "Found 100 locations" achievement, luckily I've got Fawkes and his Laser Gatling Gun to help me with the numerous Yao Guoi, Giant Radscorpions, and Deathclaws that inhabit much of the outer areas of the map.

Also, put me down for my favorite weapon being the Nuka Grenade. It's powerful, the parts are abundant, and it's a nice show when you set one off.
the great thing about the locations achievement is it will direct you twords other missions/quests/achievements. Although there is one location thats not shown on the map that holds a mission for another achivement, good luck finding that one!

ever find that alien blaster sek?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 01:37 AM

Sure did, and I have more Mini Nukes than is sensible.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2009, 12:04 PM

Fallout 3 Patch Boosts Graphics

Never seen a patch for this before.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2009, 01:45 PM

Seriously, no specular on the 360 until now? Wow. And STILL no anti-alaising on the PS3? I thought the 3 versions were the same.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2009, 02:14 PM

'The Pitt' DLC - Dated March 24th
Looks like I"ll be back in capital wasteland in a few weeks

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 08:33 PM

Sweet, once I finish the regular game I can beat Operation Anchorage, and after that The Pitt should be out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 01:44 AM

Well I beat the game, a little over 81 hours in.

I personally liked the ending, with the exclusion of the giant robots total pwnage of everything.

I had expected one hell of a fight, had my fat-man with 18 mini nukes at the ready, T51b power armor (got with the special keys) with 50 damage resistance and over 100 stimpacks saved up. Ends up the robot kills everything, and you fight 4 Enclave Soldiers to get to Project Purity.

I had such a glut of items by the end that I practically bankrupted all the local vendors selling them things they could have scavenged for themselves. Of course Fawkes really helps with the scavenging by bringing a heap of whoop-ass. I made thousands of caps on giant radscorpion glands alone without having to shoot a bullet.

I did experience what can only be described as outlandish graphical glitches and abnormalities throughout the game, but not frequently. Entire areas would become impassable unless I ran through them backwards, otherwise I was treated to huge gray and white spikes taking up much of the screen. Sometimes downed creatures would seem to rip the texture of the ground resulting in an epilepsy-inducing light show. The game also froze on me at least 5 times, but due to it's perfect autosave feature this never bit me on the ass, it was an annoyance of course.

Thoroughly enjoyable, atmosphere to spare and really engaging. The old tyme music was a bizarrely enjoyable backdrop for shooting heads off. More claustrophobic interiors than I would have liked, but again, great atmosphere there too.

8.5/10

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2009, 08:49 PM

So i download/completed the first DLC - Operation Anchorage:
While disappointly short and somewhat easy, its a great ride.
The Pitt can't come soon enough..

i've also started a new Fallout 3 campaign to hopefully finish up some achivements

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2009, 11:19 PM

I screwed up any chance for getting "Strictly Business" on my second run by killing a man I was supposed to later capture for slavery. But at least I'm currently close to finding the 30th Nuka Cola Quantum needed for that related achievement.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2009, 06:37 AM

I screwed up any chance for getting "Strictly Business" on my second run by killing a man I was supposed to later capture for slavery. But at least I'm currently close to finding the 30th Nuka Cola Quantum needed for that related achievement.
You can still get Strictly Business even if some of the people you're supposed to capture are dead. You just won't be asked to get them. When I got the achievement there were only 2 people I had to capture.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2009, 06:40 PM

Yeah, it seems like I only had to capture three of them, hell, if I knew it'd be like that I would have killed all but one!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2009, 11:49 PM

Quick Bobblehead-related question.

I am going back with my first character and collecting all of 'em, the only problem is that I neglected to get the one from Raven Rock (Enclave Base) before it exploded.

If I gather up all of the ones I can now, and then load a savepoint where I can get the one from Raven Rock will that count for the achievement or do I have to have all of them on the stand at once?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2009, 06:54 AM

Quick Bobblehead-related question.

I am going back with my first character and collecting all of 'em, the only problem is that I neglected to get the one from Raven Rock (Enclave Base) before it exploded.

If I gather up all of the ones I can now, and then load a savepoint where I can get the one from Raven Rock will that count for the achievement or do I have to have all of them on the stand at once?
You have to have them all at the same time. I did the same thing and I'm going back to get them all with my second character.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2009, 07:07 AM

Balls...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2009, 08:33 AM

What sucks is that there's only two that you can miss - the medical bobblehead and the one in the Enclave compound (science?). On my first character I had 15 or so before I realized I couldn't get them all...

Forum Links
Forum Rules