Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FireWire devices not mounting...

FireWire devices not mounting...
rob7erto
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 05:35 PM

For the past few days, none of my firewire harddrives (including my iPod) will mount. The iPod will charge and a Video Camera will work with Final Cut Pro but no drives show up and my iPod will not autoupdate.

I've tried several cables with the same results so I'm thinking it is either a software issue or a port issue (my PB has just one firewire port.)

Anyone have any suggestions?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 05:40 PM

Out of curiosity, will the FW drive show up in a Finder window?

rob7erto  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Out of curiosity, will the FW drive show up in a Finder window?
No but two days ago it would and it would also appear on the desktop etc... I first noticed this problem after trying to plug in a harddrive minutes after using a MiniDV camera in that port so maybe the camera did something to prevent future firewire devices from mounting.

rob7erto  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 10:01 AM

Anyone?

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 01:35 PM

Did you run the Hardware Test CD? That's how I found out my logic board needed to be replaced (12" PowerBook) for a blown FireWire port.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

rob7erto  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
Did you run the Hardware Test CD? That's how I found out my logic board needed to be replaced (12" PowerBook) for a blown FireWire port.
I'll try that... hopefully I still have that test CD somewhere.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 04:37 PM

I had a FireWire drive that wouldn't mount until I used DiskWarrior on it. DiskWarrior could see it even though it didn't show up on the desktop.

graveguy
Oct 27, 2004, 08:38 PM

There's another thread from about a month ago about a situation where, under Panther, firewire can simply stop responding. There's even an Apple Tech article on it. They suggest resetting your PMU, shutting your machine off for several minutes and several other things, none of which worked for me. My firewire simply fails to recognize any devices.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2004, 10:23 PM

If the video camera still works with FCP, then it doesn't sound like the port is dead. Have you restarted? If you have and it still doesn't respond, restart using your OS X CD and go through the installation process until you reach the point where it allows you to pick a disk. Then, see if your FW HD shows up in that list. If so, then it seems to be a problem with your install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules