Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > suitcase issues

suitcase issues
whop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2004, 01:43 PM

everytime i have suitcase activated it screws up my system fonts like helvetica, and in turn makes all the text on safari and ichat unreadable...does anyone have a solution for this?

Terri
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 02:26 PM

It isn't Suitcase, but a bad font you are activating.

CaptainQuark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 06:49 AM

Hi Whop,

There are three potential issues here:
1. NEVER use FontBook if you're going to use Suitcase. FontBook has singularly failed to live up to Apple's hype and is a waste of hard disk space. Trash it from your system.
2. Make sure you have the latest version of Suitcase X1 (v11.0.2). Earlier versions will not work with Panther.
3. Keep all of your fonts in a separate folder on your hard disk, i.e. don't use the Fonts folder in the Library or User Library, as slightly different versions of fonts such as Helvetica and Courier can cause problems.

If these measures don't work, try trashing your Suitcase prefs. If even THAT fails, heed Terri's words of wisdom and suspect a corrupt font. Try fixing it with FontDoctor.

Hope that helps
CQ

{**9**}*CaptainQuark*
Proud member of the {**9**}*Niners*

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2004, 05:15 PM

It is Suitcase doing this, and as yet i haven't found a way around it- I have yet to trash font book yet (i never use it though) if you close the offending app, and re-open it, the problem goes away. It is caused by suitcase requesting to open a font that is owned by the system, but it is ok if the font is already open and in use (and then you open an app that requests that font). I presume that if you replaced your system fonts with postscript ones you want suitcase to have, the problem would be solved- or wait until extensis fix the issue. Dont worry though, it seems a few people have this problem as well.

Cheers,

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules