Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > May be a dumb question

May be a dumb question
b33faroni
Mar 30, 2006, 08:16 PM

My friends Quicksilver G4 powermac was recently stripped for parts (his psu died and he wanted to upgrade) and basically all that is left is the motherboard and processor. I have a G4 Gigabit model and was wondering if they CPUs are swappable? Mine is a 400 MHZ and his is the 700 ish model (dont remember the exact number). If not then maybe ill move my parts from mine to his box...who knows. Thanks guys

b33faroni  (op)
Mar 30, 2006, 09:53 PM

just did more research and seen that the Sonnet upgrades work for all models of the G4 powermac, so im guessing that means that they can be switched. Anyone try it out before?

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2006, 11:17 PM

No.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by b33faroni
just did more research and seen that the Sonnet upgrades work for all models of the G4 powermac, so im guessing that means that they can be switched. Anyone try it out before?
Sonnet upgrades can be switched between the AGP Power Macs, except the Mirror Drive Door models. The CPU modules that Apple uses, can usually on be swapped within a model series run. So you can swap a Quicksilver CPU module with another Quicksilver.

The reason for this is subtle differences between the modules, and less subtle differences. For example the multiplier (how fast the CPU runs compared to the system bus) is fixed. What this means that if you take a 733MHz CPU module from a Quicksilver it will run slower in a PowerMac AGP 400MHz (sawtooth) machine. This is because the Quicksilver has a system bus of 133MHz and so the multiplier is set at 5.5x (five and half times) the system bus to give 733MHz. If you just dropped it into a 400MHz machine, it will run a 550MHz, 5.5x the 100MHz system bus of the Sawtooth. There are ways of modifying the module's multiplier, although it is a little tricky.

The other difference is that the Quicksilver CPU module needs 12v supplied to one of its 'legs'. There are ways of doing this. This would allow you to use a Quicksilver CPU module in a Digital Audio Power Mac (which has a 133MHz system bus), without no other modification.

Here are some links on doing the switch:

http://homepage.mac.com/josephk/G4_mod.html
http://www.shanescot.com/photos/bw_mod4/index.html

Not simple, not risk free, but it can be done.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules