Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What machine is best used with Pro Apps?

What machine is best used with Pro Apps?
RiDDLeRIZE
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 11:52 PM

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question, but it seemed the most reasonable since it's about Pro Apps. This question is aimed for more of the experienced Mac users. I have a big DVD project that I've got planned to be completed by X-mas 06'. I just wanted to know what machine do you guys think I should use for a project that requires a lot of rendering, the use of DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Photoshop. All software are the lastest/highest versions. With that considered... which machine would help me do video + photo editing quicker... the Intel Macs or a G5 Quad? If the Intels are suggested, can you please specify chich Mactel? The imac, mac mini, or the Macbook pro... Thanks in advance!
->

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 12:45 AM

Go out and get a Quad G5. No comparison with anything else. Photoshop isn't native and won't be till next year or late this year at the earliest, so an Intel Mac wouldn't make much sense. Stick to what works, and what works fast - Quad G5 + 30" Apple Display (which were recently silently updated).

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2006, 02:09 PM

fastest mactel at the mo is the iMac. But if you really want power then the Quad G5 is it. Also ProApps will run much better on PPC machines.

Depending on what you are doing, you might get away with a lower specced G5 machine. FCP likes power, though.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

G5man
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2006, 04:54 PM

Get a refurb Quad G5 and then purchase all the upgrades you want, you save 500 bucks off the new machine price. Third party upgrades will end up saving you hundreds, especially with RAM and HD. Also, upgrading to GeForce 7800 GT might not be a bad idea.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ShazamItsDavish2
fastest mactel at the mo is the iMac. But if you really want power then the Quad G5 is it. Also ProApps will run much better on PPC machines.

Depending on what you are doing, you might get away with a lower specced G5 machine. FCP likes power, though.
Actually, the fastest Mactel at the moment is the 2.16 Ghz MacBook Pro. ANd based on what I've heard from friends who are benchmarking the Universal Binaries of the pro apps on the MacBook, they SCREAM, and may very well be faster than an equivalent G5. I have a Quad and a 2.16 Ghz MacBook, I haven't received my UB versions of the pro apps yet so I can't say for sure, but if you're a heavy Photoshop user, than the Quad is probably the best bet. The Quad allows your DVD to encode while your Final Cut project is rendering AND you're working in Photoshop without taking a speed hit in any of them. It's more the fact that it's an EFFICIENT machine than a MEGAFAST machine, but it is the fastest desktop you'll find.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 05:00 PM

Since it needs to be done this year, definately a PowerMac.
Either a dual (new dualcore 2.3 or used/refurb dual 2.5/2.7) or the quad depending on your budget, with at least 4GB RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules