Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Lacie DVDRW with lightscribe

Lacie DVDRW with lightscribe
Chito
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 09:36 AM

Does anyone know anything about this? I saw it on tha back cover of the new MacWorld mag. Went to Lacie's site http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10548
and they say it will ship in Feb. I'm considering buying one because it looks like the coolest way to label the dvd's I'm making for customers. I've got a hobby business doing video tape to dvd conversion and this would certianly be an option for customers who want a professional product. I don't know about Mac compatibility or what kind of media it requires. I wasn't successful searching for lightscribe enabled media. Any info you might have and be willing to share is greatly appreciated.
thanks...
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 01:54 PM

I emailed Lacie, and they said:

Thanks for your e-mail. Great questions! LaCie includes a software package that includes Toast for recording data to the media and special LightScribe application that burns the images to the media. The LightScribe drives will support most any DVD/CD media, but requires specific LightScribe media for direct disc labeling. The LightScribe media will be widely available by March.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 12:42 PM

I checked this out too. It looked promising at first, but the media is pretty expensive (about $1/CD) and you can only "print" grayscale. The image also fades when exposed to light over time.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2005, 11:18 PM

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 05:04 PM

I'm thinking about getting this drive too. While the LightScribe media will cost more than regular media, it would be a nice feature for customers that I archive for. I'll only use the LS media for this reason, and use regular media for day to day stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules