Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Saving Unsaveable movies . . .

Saving Unsaveable movies . . .
schwei
Apr 7, 2000, 09:14 AM

Anybody figured out how to save a "supposedly" unsaveable QT movie download yet? Under QT 4.1.1 intellectual property not intended to be distributed (like a multimedia movie trailer) except in a "live" download (that just leaves you with a good feeling, but no QT movie) can be protected from being saved by the user. But wait! If the trailer has to completely download before it plays, it must go somewhere on your Mac . . . anybody know where and under what pseudonym (as opposed to alias)?? (Hint: Mac veterans will instinctively know what's going on; newbies and casual users will not, which is good enough copy-protection for me, anyway).
Mac evangelist since 1986

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2000, 09:27 AM

they reside in the browser cache and can be easily retrieved from Netscape's cache or iCab's cache, but not from IE cache.

Netscaper and iCab use a cache folder with seperate cache files in it and they can easily be differentiated, but IE uses a single cache FILE named 'cache.waf'

JoeEgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 02:07 PM

With the release of the new Lord of the Rings preview I'd really like to have a copy saved. I have browsed my browser cache, I've checked with IE and Communicator.
I have figured it out!!! With QT pro I found the size of the file, either through the Movie Information or by attempting to Save the file (27MB in this case). I then searched with Sherlock for files larger than about 26MB. Sitting right there in the invisible Temporary Items folder is a 27.5MB file named QTPluginTemp197141. I dragged it out to my desktop where it is visible. I changed the creator/type to TVOD/MooV (standard .mov file). It plays fine on my Mac. I'm going to test it out on a PC or two to double check that the file type is right. Happy Day!!!
---Joe
---Joe

schwei  (op)
Apr 7, 2000, 10:03 PM

You figgered it out, Joe. Now don't go distributing that movie trailer, else Joe Valenti and the MPAA police will come get you!

schwei  (op)
Apr 7, 2000, 10:06 PM

But seriously folks, I'm of the opinion that if it's necessary to provide precious hard disk space to a movie company so their preview can be viewed, I have the right to keep this data and re-use it on the device to which it was downloaded. Otherwise stream it.

efl
Apr 8, 2000, 03:42 AM

I found such an "unsaveable" movie on the "afterearth" website (new trailer). Used FileBuddy to look for invisible files, and found the Temporary Items folder on the hard disk; no luck finding a "QTPluginTemp..." file, though. None of the other invisible files identified by FileBuddy were the right size, date, etc. Should I use another utility to look for the temp files? Any oter suggestions?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2000, 08:31 AM

http://www.webslacker.com/lotr/hijackqt4.html

in my first post in this thread i obviously did not know exactly what was wanted... i thought the person asking the question was just looking to save movies and did not have QTPro...

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2000, 03:59 AM

u guyz are the greatest, thank u very much, i had that damn The Lord Of The Rings window sitting on my desktop for forever it seems like, after trying everything to get it on disk. Knew someone would figure out a way.
PS hope this trilogy is gonna be better than a previously overexposed Quicktime trailer download(hint: meesa wanna kill george lucas) or Xmas is gonna be a real bummer.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

Setic
Apr 17, 2000, 07:32 PM

The way I usually use is to go 'view source' from netscape, and find what directory is holding the actual .mov file.

Then I create a dummy html page with a single link to that file, and option-click the link to save it to my drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules