Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > FileSharing over IP Problems

FileSharing over IP Problems
scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2000, 01:14 PM

hello all:

i have a friend living in another state and we would like to share files and decided to turn on file sharing and enabled connection via TCP/IP. once we're both on-line, we exchange IP addresses and can mount each other's shared folders. what we'd most like to share are 3-4MB quicktime files made of our final cut pro projects.

the problem i had last nite seemed to be that whenever i tried to copy one of these larger files from her shared folder, i would almost immediately get disconnected from her shared folder. file sharing messages pop-up saying that the server unexpectedly disconnected. i was, however, able to copy a small text file to and from her shared folder without being disconnected.

the mounted shared folder is treated just like any other AppleShare volume, but i don't understand why we are disconnected (PPP remains open and active). it seemed as though she was able to mount my shared folder and sucessfully copied a few large files from her system to mine (slowly but) without problem. is there a file size limit for apple share volume transfers? i've done apple share file sharing over our intranet at work without any problems, the only difference being the access speed?

any help would be appriciated.

thanks,
scott nichol
scott nichol
mac:method - simply powerful software for mac os x
http://www.macmethod.com

schwei
Feb 3, 2000, 11:49 AM

It sounds as if your ISP is forbidding "live" transfers of that size from the sending end. Her ISP seems more accomodating. Normally users have to use FTP to share files (you upload to a server, the recipient uses FTP or HTTP to download the file from a public area). A large number of users using bandwidth to do live transfders might overtax an ISPs setup; this is just a guess.

Try an experiment to see the largest size file you can send. See if it makes a difference sending a folder or a file. Hope this helps.

schwei

[This message has been edited by schwei (edited 02-03-2000).]
Mac evangelist since 1986

Forum Links
Forum Rules