Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > upgrade path

upgrade path
jporter
Sep 13, 2000, 11:45 AM

I just checked out the OS X beta, and it says you must be running OS 9 in order to install it. Does anyone know why this is or if this is going to be the case with the commercial version? I am a poor college student and I can afford one upgrade, but not two. Thanks in advance for any input,

Justin

anonymous
Sep 13, 2000, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by jporter:
I just checked out the OS X beta, and it says you must be running OS 9 in order to install it. Does anyone know why this is or if this is going to be the case with the commercial version.
I can tell this is going to be a question that comes up a lot...

You do not need Mac OS 9 to install Mac OS X.

You do need Mac OS 9 to use the Classic environment in Mac OS X, but only for that. If you don't have Mac OS 9, you'll want to install Mac OS X on a separate partition so that it leaves your existing installation alone. You will need to reboot into your other Mac OS version in order to run applications that are not Mac OS X native.

If you're planning on using Mac OS X on a regular basis and don't want to be rebooting all the time, then upgrade to Mac OS 9 before installing it. Otherwise, the OS does not require it. It can exist with no previous Mac OS installation at all.

Dev-Em
Sep 13, 2000, 12:00 PM

From what I understand, OS 9 is only required if you want to use the Classic app in OS X. You can have two partitions, one devoted to your current OS and one devoted to X and boot from the separate drives using the Startup Disk CP.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Dev

jporter
Sep 13, 2000, 12:41 PM

will this be the case with the final release too?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2000, 12:48 PM

I doubt it. The final release would have to come with the Classic components built in. To require OS 9 for full functionality in the final release would be lunacy.

schwei
Sep 13, 2000, 01:26 PM

<<To require OS 9 for full functionality in the final release would be lunacy.>>

Not if the vast majority of Macs that **ship(ped)** with OS 9 are the ones that can run OS X. Why "build in" Classic when it's on the target Mac already?

Of course, the idea here is to sell new Macs. Expect stickers that say "OS X-ready" on currently shipping models shortly!
Mac evangelist since 1986

ibsen
Sep 16, 2000, 11:41 PM

'Classic' is NOT OS 9 !
Classic is a OS X application that -uses- OS 9 to run OS 8/9 apps. Even if you install OS X on a Mac with no other OS, you still have Classic, it just won't do anything.

Apple has never suggested that OS 8/9 apps would run on OS X without OS 9 installed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules