Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > WHERE'S MY PPPoE DSL UNDER X?

WHERE'S MY PPPoE DSL UNDER X?
schwei
Mar 24, 2001, 04:31 PM

Item One: I connect very nicely to mindspring via PPPoE (EnterNet 100) under 9.1;

Item Two: OS X v10.0 is billed as supporting PPPoE (notedright on the box) right out of the box (!!!), not like PubBeta;

Item Three: Earthlink (includes MindSpring) is a SAP (Strategic Apple Partner)

Item Four: The new 10.0 Help system requires a live Net connection.

So do you think I can connect via DSL (PPPoE) to my EarthLink account? Apparently not! Internet Connect obviously doesn't do its job right.

Any similar situations out there? . . . anyone?
Mac evangelist since 1986

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 24, 2001, 05:05 PM

DSL works perfectly well in Mac OS X. Check your network config.
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 05:37 PM

Hey Schwei I have the same problem, I have earthlink mindspring DSL and I cant seem to connect under OS X! If anyone knows how you can get this fixed please post a solution.Hey Schwei do you get the same message, You already have a PPP software please delete and restart computer.

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 05:42 PM

Hey Lord Why dont you let us know how you managed to connect online via DSL, with OS X (that's if you have it)I hate when stupid people make coments like your self " It works fine " yet you dont mention what DSL IP you have and how you did it. If you dont have anything to say that helps the topic than go post somewhere else.

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 06:19 PM

Same problem I called up Mindspring, no luck...... Any word? It apears only Mindspring users have this problem as PPPoE works with any other service. This is really weird... To quote Mindspring Tech Support "Uh.... It should work".

splash4
Mar 24, 2001, 06:22 PM

Hope this can help u:
www.macadsl.com

it's in French but the tutorial is made with many screenshots so u can easily understand.

TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 06:24 PM

Same thing here. My ISP is Earthlink, and I can't seem to "connect" to the internet through Earthlink and OS X.

I have tried all sorts of settings, with varying results -- but still no usable connection.

The problem seems to be the dialer itself. For the first part of the day, it was showing "connected" and was giving me the amount of time online and so forth. But Mail, IE, iTools, whatever, would all timeout, all acting as if there was no connection.

NOW that I have monkeyed with the settings, the "dialer" will not even show connected! I click on "connect" -- nothing! No response, it just sits there.

I note from other discussions that this is a common problem with some people reporting at least limited connections. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

eVo
Mar 24, 2001, 09:33 PM

I am getting the same problem. I use Pacific Bell DSL and use Enternet 300 under OS 9.1, however, in OS X, I can't get online. I have set up everything correctly, and the Internet Dialer even connects to PacBell, but as soon as I launch an internet app (IE, Mail), nothing works.

This really sucks, and overall, I am really dissapointed with Mac OS X.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2001, 10:19 PM

There is a difference between vanilla DSL and running PPPoE. In our area Pacific Bell uses some third-party software (EnterNet, if memory serves) to tunnel PPP over Ethernet.

My question is this: is there ANYONE OUT THERE GET PPPoE TO WORK WITH Mac OS X?

If everyone with PPPoE is failing, but everyone (including myself) with vanilla DSL is succeeding, then we might say we spot a trend :^)
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 10:47 PM

Hi All,
I have Verizon DSL, was running MACPoet under 9.1. I am also unable to connect. No error messages, logs seem to thing all is fine, ACKS are passing back and forth. Just cannot get email or browser to work. This is indeed a bummer, but...it is version 1, I guess.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2001, 11:55 PM

Heh, just use Roaring penguin PPPoE... somewhere in these forums, months ago... Ah found my printed instructions, go here:
http://media.helioshealth.net:8080/

[This message has been edited by exa (edited 03-24-2001).]

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 12:11 AM

HEY GUYS! I GOT IT TO WORK after reading some posts at MACFIXIT...check it out. What worked for me was removing the name of the service, and I applied the IP address for Verizon that this person posted...

on network preference.

Configure: bult-in ethernet

TCP/IP
Configure: [using PPP]

IP address

search domains
bellatlantic.net
mindspring.com

PPPoE:
[checked] use PPPoE

Account Name: bla bla bla
Password: bla bla

PPPoE options: checked
connect automatic...
send echo packets...

goto Internet connect

configurations: bult-in ethernet
and connect

The pw autencation is disturbing though. It may or may not be the server side problem. Verizon has a habit of doing this every so often on for hours.

I like OSX PPPoE. It's just like a router. It will connect if disconnected and it will send refresh packets.

I have been on nonstop for 3 days. That's very good given verizon's record.

~Kuku

IP: Logged
eauboy

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kuku-

Thanks for the information. Using it, I was able to get connected to Verizon DSL although I had slightly different settings. Mine were as follows:

Configure: built-in ethernet

TCP/IP:
Configure: [using PPP] (note: not manually)

IP address
(Provided by PPP server)

Domain Name Servers

Search Domains
bellatlantic.net

PPPoE:
[checked] Connect using PPPoE

Account Name: bla bla bla
Password: bla bla

PPPoE options: checked
connect automatic...
send echo packets...

goto Internet connect

configurations: bult-in ethernet
and connect

Hope this helps! Boy what a beautiful difference from logging on with the command line in PB...

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 12:13 AM

Damn it.... The box lied to me, it apears to say "PPPoE". Not a single person here has gotten it to run. That's pretty ironic, I didn't say the OS was bad, I said it would be great and never thought the other way. *sigh* Why Apple, I supported thee without a doubt.... Now a promised basic feature doesn't work.... Why? I'm calling them now...I'll get back to you guys...

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 01:37 AM

It's fixed. Leave the Service Provider and Name (optional) fields blank. I'm almost happy.... Wow it works like it should have.... The guy was very evasive when I asked about iSub support and why 5.1 was tagged "Preview".... Good stuff, I guess...

eVo
Mar 25, 2001, 02:54 AM

RDJL27, I tried leaving those fields blank, and I still can't access the internet. What else did you do?

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 03:00 AM

Well, I have it Configure via Ethernet (duh) connect Via PPP, I have the 3 Name Serv. Addies and the Search domain, and my account info (bot. 2 fields) on PPPoE tab. It works.... On it right now. Damn AOL.... Why can't they make AIM carbon? WHY? Yeah... Fire.... But it's not the same, and it's a hassle to use. This OS has too few apps....

eVo
Mar 25, 2001, 03:02 AM

Where did you get your name server addresses for TCP/IP? My ISP (Pacific Bell) just tells me to put 1.0.0.0 in that box, and pacbell.net in the search domains box.

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 03:50 AM

I have no idea, as I use Mindspring. Call SPB and then Apple. They'll both solve all your problems, guarnteed (at least on the Apple side).

schwei  (op)
Mar 25, 2001, 04:14 AM

Whoopee! here are settings for Earthlink/Mindspring that work right now (but boy IE 5.1 PR for X is slow!):

Step One: For "Automatic" (the apparent default location), I went to the "Advanced" panel and kept deleting until the two "undleteable" settings were left (without old entries, I guess).

Step Two: Duplicate the "Built-In Ethernet" port/config and give it your own name. This will be the only item in the "Configure:" popup menu because the other two configs should be UNCHECKED! (That is: Built-In Ethernet and Internal Modem) I'll monkey around with them later . . .

Step 3: Switch the Configure popup to your named-item and jump immediately to the PPPoE tab. Leave the Optional fields BLANK! , as prevoiusly mentioned.
Enter your full ID and password below this (for earthlink it's <<user>>@earthlink.com) . Under the PPPoE options "slip" I just have checked the 1st & 5th checkboxes, as mentioned. Click Save.

Step 4: Jump to the TCP/IP tab. Now, the idea is to have NO DATA in the IP address field, because that will be given to you on connect. I think this is what happens from deleting any previous configs! Hope so. I got that to happen. The configure popup should be "using PPP".

Step V: I leave "Domain Name Servers EMPTY, but entered <<earthlink.net>> as a search domain. Click Save again.

Step VI: launch Internet Connect (in PB this was PPP Connect, no?) Its popup should be your custom config, since everything else is off, right? The Service Provider, Name & Password should be ALREADY set, so all you have to do is click connect!

well, we didn't make it to Step X, but one thing we have with iConnect is a send/recieve indicator, which is fun!

Hope this helps. it's fun watching the IE and OS beachballs in Explorer!

Step VII:

schwei  (op)
Mar 25, 2001, 04:17 AM

BTW, there is no step Seven. (Our chief waepon is fear, fear and supr . . . I'll come in again . . .)

Forum Links
Forum Rules