Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 iMac ethernet?

G5 iMac ethernet?
Chito
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 09:54 AM

I'm considering buying a G5 iMac to replace my 2002 QS 933 G4 but I noticed that the iMac doesn't have 10/100/1000 ethernet. I connect to the internet using a wired router and DSL. Am I going to regret not having the faster ethernet speed or is it probably something my existing power mac doesn't use?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

toti
Oct 8, 2004, 10:01 AM

If your only connection is DSL, you truly won't have to worry about the lack of "/1000"

Your DSL is most likely slower than 8Mbit, which is slower than the lowest speed the ethernet card in the iMac supports. Some people have 100Mbit cable connections ( Like in Malm�, Sweden ) and there the 100Mbit mode of the iMac ethernet interface comes in handy. But unless you have a gigabit enabled computer at home that you are going to talk to, and a gigabit switch to connect the two computers together, you don't have to worry.

And gigabit to the home is not quite around the corner for most of humanity

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't notice the speed difference before....I guess I just thought all macs came with the faster ports. If it doesn't matter I suppose I'll be getting a 20" iMac.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 8, 2004, 01:40 PM

Yes even if you only had the WORST card which no mac have had for a while it would still be faster then your internet connection.

In other words, not an issue.

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules