Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why do only Ford cars have the keypad entry?

Why do only Ford cars have the keypad entry? (Page 2)
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Hmmm... I can always remember my bank account PIN codes when I'm drunk.
I can be pretty sure you don't drink as much as he does.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I can be pretty sure you don't drink as much as he does.
Then perhaps he should stop driving to the bar. Over two drinks and I'm over the legal limit, but I'm not incoherently "drunk" obviously. If I have 4 drinks I'll definitely be tipsy, but I can still remember my PIN code. I rarely get totally blitzed these days.

My guess is that he'd be over the legal limit for quite some time before he starts losing his memory of his PIN code. In that zone, he still shouldn't be driving.
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 27, 2008 at 03:40 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 03:32 PM

Yes. I never have to take the keys out of my pocket. All I need to do is press my foot on the brake and press the start button.

That picture makes it look like the start button is on the car itself. I assume the start button only works if it detects the wireless signal from the transmitter on your keyring in your pocket?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
That picture makes it look like the start button is on the car itself.
Correct. It's on the dash.

I assume the start button only works if it detects the wireless signal from the transmitter on your keyring in your pocket?
Again, correct.

If your transmitter battery dies, you can still start the car by putting the FOB in the dash keyfob slot. (There is also a physical key inside the fob, but that's for the door, again in case the battery dies.)

This is not a Prius, but the idea is the same:

The picture shows the fob inside the slot.

The metal ring is where the physical key located (inside the fob).

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2008, 03:59 PM

Then perhaps he should stop driving to the bar. Over two drinks and I'm over the legal limit, but I'm not incoherently "drunk" obviously. If I have 4 drinks I'll definitely be tipsy, but I can still remember my PIN code. I rarely get totally blitzed these days.

My guess is that he'd be over the legal limit for quite some time before he starts losing his memory of his PIN code. In that zone, he still shouldn't be driving.
I agree. I didn't say it was a GOOD philosophy. He's an idiot. Now back to other options of keyless entry... sorry for the topic detour.

I want a remote starter so I can cool down my car in the summer heat.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 04:23 PM

If your transmitter battery dies, you can still start the car by putting the FOB in the dash keyfob slot. (There is also a physical key inside the fob, but that's for the door, again in case the battery dies.)
Okay, time for some more devil's advocate:

What happens if you have to walk through heavy rain to get to your car, and water gets inside the fob and shorts out the circuitry?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 05:09 PM

What happens if you have to walk through heavy rain to get to your car, and water gets inside the fob and shorts out the circuitry?
Good question. I dunno. Never has happened to me though, or anyone else I've seen on the Prius forums. I guess the other question is what happens if someone runs over your fob and breaks it.

However, I will point out that I can start the car with the key fob even if the key fob has a dead battery, despite the fact there is no electrical contact between the fob and the car. The fob's shell is made entirely of plastic, yet put the fob in the slot, and you can start the car, even if you can't open the door with the fob.

So I don't know if the car is sensing a very low level of signal from an almost dead battery, of if there is some other method of sensing the fob that doesn't require any electricity at all. Is that possible?
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 27, 2008 at 05:19 PM. )

Thorzdad
Oct 27, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Unlikely. My 1990 Nissan Maxima GXE had the keypad. I don't know why they dropped it, it's a damn handy feature on a car...
I was told my a Nissan mechanic that the keypads were prone to failure, especially in winter ice and snow.

Was your Maxima that retro pearl aqua-green color? We went with boring metallic gray on our SE.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 08:58 PM

I was never a fan of the big panel near the handle, but the new Ford and Lincolns with the touch sensitive panels on the door frame are pretty slick. Personally though, I'd probably forget the combo, unless you can pick it yourself.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Oct 28, 2008 at 02:25 PM. )

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 27, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Lincoln's
*cough*
Personally though, I'd probably forget the combo, unless you can pick it yourself.
You can. You have a master code that's permanent and a temporary code that you can set to anything you'd like.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 10:54 PM

Are you one of those guys that get manual crank windows because it's "less parts that can break"?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 11:12 PM

Well, the windows not opening and the car not starting are not exactly on the same level...

Besides, I already said that I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here.

dav
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 11:33 AM

Well, the windows not opening and the car not starting are not exactly on the same level...

Besides, I already said that I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here.
my car seems to work the same as Eug's prius. i believe the keyfob is waterproof and could handle total submersion in water, however, i'd be concerned if i left the keyfob in my pocket through a washing machine cycle.
one post closer to five stars

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 01:10 PM

What car do you drive?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
*cough*
Wow, that is annoying. I just took part in my pet peeve. Grrrrr.

dav
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 03:59 PM

What car do you drive?
an infiniti g35
one post closer to five stars

Forum Links
Forum Rules