Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > trash bin in finder sidebar?

trash bin in finder sidebar?
Velda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 09:12 AM

I KNOW ive seen this somewhere, but ive spent nearly an hour searching the net and i cant find it anywhere.

I just want a trash bin at the end of my finder window's side bar. It cant be that hard can it?

Once i have that i can ditch the dock for good

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 10:02 AM

There are "tricks" that come close to what you want. But foregoing those, there are 2 workarounds that I know of:

1. Use the keyboard. Select the item and press the command key and the delete key and the item is put in the Trash. No dragging. Then to empty the Trash just use command/shift/delete.

2. Put a Delete button in your Finder window toolbar. (View > Customize Toolbar... or simply right click on the toolbar).

Chris

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 12:03 PM

Hey Velda, I've never thought of doing this, but just had a play and can find a way to do what you want.

1. Open the Trash window.

2. File>Get Info (command-i) on the Trash folder (don't select any of its contents).

3. In the Get Info window expand the 'Preview' section.

4. Drag that huge Trash icon into the sidebar of a Finder window, it will stay in there and you can drag stuff to it to send them to the trash!

The only downside is that you can't empty the Trash from the sidebar, it seems the Finder just considers it a normal folder there. But you can use that shortcut chabig gave above, or use the menu command in the Finder menu.

Velda  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 10:35 AM

well, thats a quick way to crash finder for me or some reason.

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2006, 10:57 AM

In Leopard, there will apparently be an empty button in the Trash's Finder window.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 12:21 PM

Really? That's odd it would crash it. I've found that the Trash folder doesn't stay in my sidebar after a restart anyway, so not so useful.

I found this: SideTrash 1.1 - MacUpdate

But I read that if you delete an alias with it, it will delete the actual file, so be careful.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Hey Velda, I've never thought of doing this, but just had a play and can find a way to do what you want.

1. Open the Trash window.

2. File>Get Info (command-i) on the Trash folder (don't select any of its contents).

3. In the Get Info window expand the 'Preview' section.

4. Drag that huge Trash icon into the sidebar of a Finder window, it will stay in there and you can drag stuff to it to send them to the trash!

The only downside is that you can't empty the Trash from the sidebar, it seems the Finder just considers it a normal folder there. But you can use that shortcut chabig gave above, or use the menu command in the Finder menu.
Crashes my Finder too.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Cool app, too bad it isn't Universal.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

P
Sep 4, 2006, 04:28 PM

Tragging the Trash icon to the sidebar crashes my Finder as well. If you're happy with just deleting stuff on the startup disc, you can do that without a hack. In the Finder, select Go -> Go to Folder... and type ~/.Trash. This will bring up the actual trash folder, which you can drag to the sidebar as you wish (use the proxy icon in the title bar). No trash icon though, but you can fix that by doing a copy-paste from the real trash icon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules