Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Poll: The 2010/11 NBA Season

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the LeBron/Heat storyline?
Poll Options:
LeBron got what he deserved for his entitlement and arrogance. 8 votes (53.33%)
LeBron is still a young man, learning tough lessons. Leave him alone. 2 votes (13.33%)
LeBron's Finals performances were actually good. People just care about points. 0 votes (0%)
Who cares? They're all athletes, and they're all arrogant brats. 3 votes (20.00%)
Too much Heat talk -- not even Mavs talk. 2 votes (13.33%)
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll
Poll: The 2010/11 NBA Season
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2011, 11:48 AM

Last night was one of the happiest nights of my life (as sad as that is). Not only did the Dallas Mavericks win their first championship, but it's even sweeter that they were able to do it against a Miami Heat team that has quickly become the most hated franchise in American sports.

After the game, LeBron said:

“All the people that was rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today,” James said. “They have the same personal problems they had today. I’m going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that.

“They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they have to get back to the real world at some point.”
So, LeBron has learned absolutely nothing. Instead of just being gracious and responding with something like, "Well, we understand we're going to be hated by some fans, but we're going to work hard and come back next season with more drive and humility than we've ever had. We'll be back," James decides to remind us that our lives still suck compared to his.

At least that's the way that most sports commentators are interpreting his comments. Then again, It's their job to see the controversy in everything.

So now that the long season is over, how do you feel about LeBron's situation?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 12:03 PM

The difference between LeBron and Nowicki couldn't be bigger.

I love how Nowicki remained a very likable, humble guy, with a tremendous work ethic and great attitude.
He's set a real example on how to become a star w/o becoming an asshole.

-t

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2011, 12:07 PM

I was a little worried that Dirk would take some backlash when he left the court immediately without shaking hands, but it turns out they found him sobbing like a baby in the locker room, and could barely get him to come out for the trophy presentation. Tons of pressure lifted off the guy's shoulders.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I was a little worried that Dirk would take some backlash when he left the court immediately without shaking hands, but it turns out they found him sobbing like a baby in the locker room, and could barely get him to come out for the trophy presentation. Tons of pressure lifted off the guy's shoulders.
Yes, I thought that's what happened. When he left the court, he already covered his head in the jersey. He was very emotional, and needed a few minutes to deal with it. Good for him to win this championship. He deserved it like noone else.

-t

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2011, 12:18 PM

I will say this: I'm not going to spend much more time ragging on LeBron, BUT...

1. He has a tattoo that reads "Chosen 1."

2. He did this:

3. He agreed to do this (and promised "...not five, not six, not seven...multiple championships):

4. He joined in with Wade in mocking Dirk's illness.

5. He says that it's not going to affect his great life.

As Skip Bayless says: "LeBron is 26, looks 36, and acts 16." He's brought a ton of this criticism on himself, and then reacts arrogantly when people criticize him. He wouldn't be under such scrutiny if he'd left off the tattoo, informed Cleveland before The Decision that he was going to be leaving, not boasted about what all the Heat would do, and then avoided the ball every fourth quarter in The Finals.

I hope he learns from it all. I just hope it doesn't crush him.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 13, 2011, 04:38 PM

So Canucks or Bruins?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2011, 05:03 PM

Canucks.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 05:30 PM

What do I think of the Lebron James situation? A series of thoughts come to mind ...

1. If you are a Cleveland fan who is hating on the man because he dared to sign with another team even though he had fulfilled the terms of his contract and made the Cavs actually relevant again in the process .... then you really should review what the term "free agent" means. After that, please build a bridge and get over it.

2. The man was under no obligation to inform the Cavs about his decision not to re-sign in advance. Those who take issue with that are noticeably silent when pro teams routinely dump players w/o advanced notice. Players commonly find out they've been cut via media reports ... not a heads up by the team management. When this practice gets criticized as "disrespectful" with the same level of vigor and intensity as has been directed at Lebron James then I will begin to give this criticism some semblance of credence.

3. For those who have a problem with "The Decision" and how that was all handled ... all I will say to that is if you watched the show then you should realize that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The show was the media spectacle that it was precisely because people like you made it that way. Personally I didn't even see it because quite frankly, I don't really follow the NBA until a team that I like makes it into the finals. All I know is that the ratings for the show were through the roof ... so it's pretty silly for the same people who made that so to turn around and b*tch because the show was done in the first place.

4. The Miami Heat had all the tools necessary to win the championship. They simply came up short. Congratulations to the Dallas Mavericks. I was rooting for Miami but I'll definitely cheer your well-deserved victory. I had predicted it would go to Game 7 .... good thing I didn't put any money on that. To come back from being down 2-1 and to clinch the title by 10 points on the Heat's home court is an accomplishment that is worthy of any basketball fan's respect.

5. The core of the Miami Heat ... Lebron, Wade, and Bosh ... are all signed to relatively lengthy deals IIRC. Given the talent that these three possess the Heat will be a Finals contender for years to come. At some point they will win it all.

6. The Lebron James haters will hate on him no matter what he does or says. Even if Miami had won they would still be talking sh*t about something or another. Lebron needs to let his haters be his motivators and refuse to take the bait that the sports media puts out there for him to lash out at them. Because even if what he says about them has merit ... it's just not a good look for him to say it. Ever. He has to be the bigger person in the situation. It's really that simple. But as his comments after the Game 6 loss indicate ... simple isn't always easy.

7. Lebron James also needs to keep the entire situation in perspective. While his haters are particularly vocal ... at the end of the day his Miami Heat jersey is the #1 seller for the 2010-2011 season. This Lebron James as the "villian" narrative is perhaps a tad bit overhyped. Makes for a great media story though.

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 06:03 PM

Funny, how you repeatedly meantion all those LeBron "haters", but never even mention once what a "hater" he is himself.
His attitude is one of a real asshole. And he's proud of it. Interesting that you give him so much respect.

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
For those who have a problem with "The Decision" and how that was all handled ... all I will say to that is if you watched the show then you should realize that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The show was the media spectacle that it was precisely because people like you made it that way. Personally I didn't even see it because quite frankly, I don't really follow the NBA until a team that I like makes it into the finals. All I know is that the ratings for the show were through the roof ... so it's pretty silly for the same people who made that so to turn around and b*tch because the show was done in the first place.
I don't see how ratings dispel the notion that the decision to make "The Decision" was controversial. Of course people watched it -- it was controversial.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Funny, how you repeatedly meantion all those LeBron "haters", but never even mention once what a "hater" he is himself.
His attitude is one of a real asshole. And he's proud of it. Interesting that you give him so much respect.
Feel free to provide specifics of what you are referring to. Just let me state this for the record. If one was a Lebron James fan as a Cleveland Cavalier and then all of a sudden became a Lebron James hater when he announced that he was going to the Miami Heat .... then one is being rather petulant and childish IMO. Sort of like Gov. Kasich of Ohio .....

Because at the end of the day he was still the same person ... the same player .... after he left Cleveland as he was when he was with Cleveland. Was Lebron being routinely described as "arrogant" and "entitled" in Cleveland? Was Lebron being routinely accused of being an "asshole" in Cleveland? I think not.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I don't see how ratings dispel the notion that the decision to make "The Decision" was controversial. Of course people watched it -- it was controversial.
My point here is that one can't complain about the lack of quality programming on TV and at the same time be the first one to watch The Real Housewives of Orange County. By the same token you can't complain about The Decision being over the top and over-hyped ... if you were glued to the TV set when it was aired. Do trust and believe people watched it not just because it was "controversial". They watched it because they wanted to know who Lebron was going to sign with ... and they wanted to know the very moment it was announced. He was the league's top player and a free agent to boot and for a whole lot of people ... waiting to find out was not an option. So his management team decided to milk that sentiment for what it was worth for the benefit of Lebron James, Inc. It's called capitalism at its finest. And nobody was forced to buy a ticket to the show. One could have just as easily found out where he was going from a headline on any random internet news site after the fact. That's certainly what I did ....

OAw

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 07:46 PM

Feel free to provide specifics of what you are referring to.
E.g. mocking Nowicki when he was sick. Only assholes would do that.

-t

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 08:02 PM

Yeah, yeah. I know it's from last year but it's still funny (and true).

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
E.g. mocking Nowicki when he was sick. Only assholes would do that.

-t
Perhaps a joke gone awry. Perhaps an example of foolish mocking. In any event ... I think it's readily apparent that the Lebron James hatefest was well established long before this incident.

OAW

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 08:10 PM

Basketball used to be fun when it was a team sport.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 08:43 PM

Perhaps a joke gone awry. Perhaps an example of foolish mocking. In any event ... I think it's readily apparent that the Lebron James hatefest was well established long before this incident.
Do you think people hated LeBron for no reason? You're delusional.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 09:26 PM

Do you think people hated LeBron for no reason? You're delusional.

-t
The Lebron James hater brigade has its reasons. I mentioned them in points 1 - 3 in my initial post above. Now as to whether or not they are legitimate reasons? Well suffice it to say that I think they are not.

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2011, 12:33 AM

LaBron is kindergarten in Summertime.

The NBA has been worthless since Jordan left, I can't wait for someone to pull the handle and flush that turd.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 01:30 AM

Poll:
we don't have time to stop for gas

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 01:40 AM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2011, 01:55 AM

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 01:59 AM

Why didn't Lebron ever go to college?
we don't have time to stop for gas

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 04:19 AM

...Nowicki...

...Nowicki...

-t
His name is Nowitzki!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2011, 08:14 AM

Oh, ah, I guess.

(I blame the hampstor.)

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Muahahaha

Awesomeness.

-t

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 10:27 AM

OAW
Exactly. Which is why James should've known to use better judgment.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 11:30 AM

Exactly. Which is why James should've known to use better judgment.
Indeed. Just as he should have used better judgement when it came to his comments after the Heat lost Game 6. Like I said in my initial post ... Lebron needs to be the bigger person. Easier said than done for sure. But ultimately that's what needs to happen.

When it comes to winning a championship ... he's never going to be in total control. There's always going to be 9 other guys on the floor ... 5 of whom are not looking to cooperate with him. But he always has total control over what he says to the media and how he conducts himself as a man first and as a player second. If he just does that, then with the talent he possesses and the team he has aligned himself with I have every confidence that the ring will follow.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 11:48 AM

What's wrong with LeBron's situation? A lot really.

First, everyone's misguided search for the next GOAT has every elite young player being compared to Jordan, rather than the player their skills most resemble. To me, this clearly makes LeBron the possible next Magic, which isn't exactly an insult as I'd classify the guy as one the 3 best ever.

Second, he believed the hype, but acts like he'll arrive without the effort. It many ways, this is a lot like pre-Jackson era Shaq. Shaq was a tremendously gifted athlete and a skilled player, but he didn't excel until he had a coach who wouldn't tolerate any half-assed effort. Now I wouldn't call LeBron's effort half-assed, but he does have a habit of disappearing (along with poor in-game decision making). Which brings me to the next point.

LeBron isn't the next Jordan because he's not wired that way. Who is Miami's MVP? Yeah. That guy plays like a Jordan, and in Game 4 he was a missed free-throw and a mis-dribble off the leg from emphatically showing it.

In my opinion, LeBron is really a fusion of Magic and Pippen (Does anyone remember Pippen's post-Bulls career?). There's nothing wrong with that to me (It's a delicious combo, IMO), but as far as the media is concerned this is a grave sin. And as long as LeBron traipses about wearing the crown the media donned upon him rather than admit he's not who we want him to be (As if The Decision didn't prove that) than this shit will repeat itself.

But what do you expect from a guy who's goal isn't his own Dynsasty, but to become "Global Icon".

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
First, everyone's misguided search for the next GOAT has every elite young player being compared to Jordan, rather than the player their skills most resemble. To me, this clearly makes LeBron the possible next Magic, which isn't exactly an insult as I'd classify the guy as one the 3 best ever.
When he wins a championship THEN I will compare him to Magic. Until then he's just the next Carl Malone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 11:56 AM

HIs skillset is Magic. His bed-shitting skills is Karl Malone.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What's wrong with LeBron's situation? A lot really.

Agreed. I've never thought that Lebron was like Jordan. Their games are very different ... which is what I think Pippen was trying to say when he said that Jordan was the best scorer but Lebron was overall best player. Now even though I disagree with Pippen's assessment I can understand where he was coming from. Lebron doesn't seem to have that "killer instinct" on the court like Jordan had. He's not the one that will try to take over a game and make it happen on his own if necessary like Jordan or even Kobe. He is, however, more suited to being on a team with other stars because he will share the ball and facilitate victory through a more concerted team effort much like Magic. In any event, people just need to let Lebron be Lebron. Let Kobe be Kobe. Let Derrick Rose be Derrick Rose. Because there will never be another just like Jordan.

OAW

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2011, 01:14 PM

In any event, people just need to let Lebron be Lebron. Let Kobe be Kobe. Let Derrick Rose be Derrick Rose. Because there will never be another just like Jordan.

OAW
That's the bottom line, right there.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 03:13 PM

LeBron's skillset is indeed reminiscent of Magic Johnson, but Johnson had that IT quality from his rookie season.

There's a famous story from the '80 finals. After Kareem was injured and didn't even fly with the team, Magic took the seat with the most leg room, which was traditionally Kareem's spot, and said, "Never fear, EJ is here." Then he proceeded to dominate Game 7, playing every position in the process. He was 20-years-old.

At 26, LeBron hasn't done anything of consequence, other than carry a bunch of nobodies to great regular-season records while in Cleveland (and drag their carcasses to the Finals one year, only to be swept). To talk about talent is one thing, but LeBron hasn't developed that intangible greatness that Magic, Michael, and Bird had. I still don't think it's too late for him, but he's continually shown that when things get tough, he goes belly-up, and none of the three I mentioned EVER did that. Even after he started requesting a trade, Magic pushed himself harder than ever before.

I'm not confident in declaring LeBron a top-20 player until he shows greatness, and I don't think Wade carrying the team to a championship in 2012 will change perception of LeBron. He has to take over a Finals. Forget calling him the next Mike, Larry, Magic, Russell, or even Malone. I agree: let LeBron be LeBron. Let's decide where he stands on his own merits.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 04:20 PM

LeBron's skillset is indeed reminiscent of Magic Johnson, but Johnson had that IT quality from his rookie season.
Agreed.

---

The guy lives in another world.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 06:02 PM

Unreal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules