Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Removing stripped screws from bottom of iPhone 4

Removing stripped screws from bottom of iPhone 4
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2012, 12:03 PM

I replaced the back glass on my iPhone 4 recently. In doing so, I seemed to have stripped both screws. I got them off, replaced the back cover, and while putting the screws back in, I got them both about half way before they just stopped going in. So I'm stuck with two bottom screws that are hanging about half way out. It looks as though the heads have been stripped. I tried to manually remove them by twisting with my fingers, I tried the "rubber band method", didn't work. I finally broke down and bought this screw extraction set...

http://www.amazon.com/58-0670-6-Piec.../dp/B000JCT3W0

Even with this set I still can't seem to get them out. I haven't used a screw extractor before and quite frankly I'm not entirely sure I'm using it correctly. I haven't been able to find any type of manual or tutorial on how to use them. I believe the idea is to just work the pointy heads into the screw like a regular screwdriver and the points are used to get extra grip to help you unscrew the screw. If that is the case, none of these seem to be small enough to get into the screw.

Has anyone had any experience in getting stripped screws out of the bottom of an iPhone? Any experience in using this extractor set? It seems to be one of the more popular sets out there and a few of the reviews were from people who successfully extracted screws from iPhones. :/
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2012, 04:58 PM

Have you tried needlenose pliers?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Have you tried needlenose pliers?
That was my next move. The screw extractor set was useless (thank goodness Amazon makes it a breeze to return items), but with a bit more persistence I was able to use my fingers and a rubberband to get some grip and manually unscrew them (different approach from the "rubberband method" I referenced in my original post). It took a lot of time and patience but I finally got them out.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
(thank goodness Amazon makes it a breeze to return items)
So you purchased an item, opened it, used it, and then returned it? No class.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2012, 11:25 AM

If the screws are only halfway in/out, I would grab each one with a pair of pliers and unscrew the screws. You can order replacement screws at http://iFixit.com .

cosmotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
So you purchased an item, opened it, used it, and then returned it? No class.
If a product doesn't work as advertised, I see no problem with this.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by cosmotic View Post
If a product doesn't work as advertised, I see no problem with this.
Yeah. I regret saying that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules