Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > wire assignment for g4 imac LCD?

wire assignment for g4 imac LCD?
guywithFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 04:06 AM

I would love to use my 20" lcd from a imac g4 as an external monitor but i would like to know what the lcds connections are so i might be able to create a vga connector to it... if anyone has a diagram or info about the G4 imac lcds i would love to see them. I'm really building a custom docking station for my powerbook from the reminents of a g4 imac. again, of anyone has any information reguarding those lcds it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive
1GB iPod Shuffle, 15GB 3rd Gen iPod, 80GB Black iPod Video

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 12, 2005, 01:24 PM

Is it possible? Yep. But it'll cost you more to do than to buy a brand new Dell 20" display.

The internal connection is something called LVDS. You'd need a VGA/DVI->LVDS converter module. While those are inside every LCD, they are extremely costly as a separate part in small volumes. (The graphics chip inside all-in-one computers has a direct LVDS output, so no converter is inside those machines.)

Seriously, this project is nowhere near worth the effort.

tooki

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 06:50 PM

Sell the display as a replacement part for someone else (who owns a broken iMac) and you'll probably get enough money to buy a 20" Dell LCD.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2005, 01:34 AM

I went to the DELL site and their 20" LCD is only $100 less than Apple's 20" widescreen. I know the quality of the Apple monitors... is it not worth the extra $100 for an Apple monitor over a DELL monitor?
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
I went to the DELL site and their 20" LCD is only $100 less than Apple's 20" widescreen. I know the quality of the Apple monitors... is it not worth the extra $100 for an Apple monitor over a DELL monitor?
Wait until the new coupons come out Wednesday... it is usually on sale for $400-500 and should be discounted within a week.
Dell uses a newer revision of the same LCD panel as Apple. Anandtech has a good comparison review of the two. Dell uses a better stand (rotate on all 3 axes and telescopes), has a backlight capable of higher brightness, and provides a 3 year warranty standard.

guywithFX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 04:06 AM

the problem is that i HAVE the 20" imac parts. i just need to connect them...any ideas on that LVDS converter i guess....?
12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive
1GB iPod Shuffle, 15GB 3rd Gen iPod, 80GB Black iPod Video

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2005, 02:40 PM

Here's a DVI to LVDS converter for $600, which is $100-200 more than a brand new 20" Dell LCD with stand and more input options.
I think you could make a pretty penny eBaying the iMac display to someone with a broken iMac.

ptb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 07:59 PM

Is it possible to connect the LCD to a EPIA main board which also have a LVDS connector? If it is possible, it would be a fun MOD project.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2006, 08:36 PM

I don't think it is at all possible but someone else may be able to prove me wrong.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice that there was an existing thread above the post I replied to.
( Last edited by seanc; May 31, 2006 at 08:56 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules