Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 1 gig, 1.5 gig, or 2 gig of RAM with new iMac?

1 gig, 1.5 gig, or 2 gig of RAM with new iMac?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 12:49 PM

When I order an iMac, I have three options.

1) BTO with a single 1gig chip. 1 gig of RAM

2) stock 512MB + 1gig stick from crucial. 1.5 gig of RAM

3) BTO single 1gig chip + 1 gig stuck from crucial. 2 gig or RAM

Which do you think I should do? I'll be doing the usual, plus some intensive games occasionally, occasional photoshop, occasional garageband and iMovie.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006, 01:23 PM

Get as much as you can. If you are on a budget, option 1 (1 GB total) will still be good.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 01:24 PM

Stock RAM and 2Gb from Crucial, then ebay the 512Mb. The RAM will be cheaper from Crucial, and you get some money back from selling the 512Mb.

I'd get the full 2Gb because as far as RAM goes, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

skyweir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 04:18 PM

If you go to the Apple store and click, "more info" on the memory options. It is clearly stated that for best performance memory should be added in pairs. So it's either 1 gig (2x512) or 2 gigs (2x1gig) that's why there is the second config for 1 gig (1x1gig). So you can add your own stick upon delivery.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 04:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the new iMacs make use of Dual Channel so paired matching RAM would be a good idea.

iDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 04:28 PM

I have 1.5 GB on my new iMac G5 and it runs like a dream.

skyweir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by iDave
I have 1.5 GB on my new iMac G5 and it runs like a dream.
iDave, I believe Macintologist is referring to the Core Duo iMac. Different architecture.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 09:41 PM

Apple usually charges way too much for RAM and if you have them upgrade the RAM you can't return the machine.
I'd add 1GB from Crucial (or a 512 or 2x1GB if the iMac supports dual channel).

DoGoodDrugs
Jan 12, 2006, 09:58 PM

ok, so im not sure i understand this... would it be better to run 1x1GB, or 1x1GB+1x512?

i would think 1.5GB would be better, right? why not?

also along the same lines, would it better to run 1x1GB, or 2x512... i'm guess 2x512 from what yall are saying

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 11:04 PM

1GB+512MB is better than 1GB.
512MB+512MB may be better than 1GB.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Stock RAM and 2Gb from Crucial, then ebay the 512Mb. The RAM will be cheaper from Crucial, and you get some money back from selling the 512Mb.

I'd get the full 2Gb because as far as RAM goes, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
I've never done ebay in my life. Who would buy from a first time seller? I'd rather sell it here on MacNN and let them ebay it if they are comfortable with that

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 11:02 AM

I have 1.5GB ram in my imac and it runs really well. Buy as much as you can afford, but if cost is an issue 1.5GB is certainly enough - even 1GB for most people.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

kcm3
Jan 13, 2006, 12:16 PM

Are both memory slots on the new Core Duo iMacs (or the G5s for that matter) accessible? I have one of the old G4 flat-panel iMacs, in which only one of the memory slots is "user accessible". I know you can get to the other slot on my G4 iMac, but it isn't pretty. Hopefully the newer enclosure is better in this respect.

I ask because I'm curious if it's even a feasible option to go order two 1GB sticks elsewhere, or if ordering from Apple is the only reasonable way to get up to 2GB on one of these new Core Duo machines.

Kyle

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
When I order an iMac, I have three options.

1) BTO with a single 1gig chip. 1 gig of RAM

2) stock 512MB + 1gig stick from crucial. 1.5 gig of RAM

3) BTO single 1gig chip + 1 gig stuck from crucial. 2 gig or RAM

Which do you think I should do? I'll be doing the usual, plus some intensive games occasionally, occasional photoshop, occasional garageband and iMovie.
The new iMacs use a dual-channel memory controller. That means it has a total of 5.3 GB/sec of memory bandwidth available if you use 1 stick (or mis-matched sticks), and 10.7 GB/sec of bandwidth if you use 2 matched sticks. So (3) would be the fastest, not only because of the extra RAM, but because it'll enable dual-channel mode.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 12:35 PM

I'm not telling anything that has not yet been said, but get just as much ram as possible (except maybe in a G5). 1 GIG DDR2 is cheap nowadays.

Naediel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 01:01 PM

I did 1x1GB RAM, BTO. It wasn't that expensive to upgrade.
-Dan

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 02:45 PM

Hmm, I'm gonna go with the matching ram option. 1gig or 2 gig? :/

2 gig is a lot more money than 1. Maybe I'll get a 17" instead of 20". Anyone wanna comment on that? :/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kcm3
Are both memory slots on the new Core Duo iMacs (or the G5s for that matter) accessible? I have one of the old G4 flat-panel iMacs, in which only one of the memory slots is "user accessible". I know you can get to the other slot on my G4 iMac, but it isn't pretty. Hopefully the newer enclosure is better in this respect.

I ask because I'm curious if it's even a feasible option to go order two 1GB sticks elsewhere, or if ordering from Apple is the only reasonable way to get up to 2GB on one of these new Core Duo machines.
Yes. The first few G5 iMac revisions had both memory slots accessable, the DDR2 G5 iMac only had one slot, but the Intel iMac has two user accessable slots.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 04:03 PM

I've just ordered a 20 inch iMac with 1 x 1gig stick of memory with the intention of adding a second stick from Crucial. I've worked it out, works out about £40 cheaperdoing it that way.

Best of luck mate.

PS My estimated shipped by date is Jan 23rd........feels like AGES away, what's yours?

PPS Anyone want to buy a Rev A single 1.8Ghz G5 Powermac with 1.5gigs memory and Superdrive?

kcm3
Jan 13, 2006, 04:08 PM

Yes. The first few G5 iMac revisions had both memory slots accessable, the DDR2 G5 iMac only had one slot, but the Intel iMac has two user accessable slots.
Thanks -- that's exactly what I was looking for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules