Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Creating a bootable CD

Creating a bootable CD
MyndCraft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 12:14 PM

I need to make bootable restore/diagnostic CD for some iMacs running 8.6 I need to do the burning on my OS X machine running Roxio Toast Titanium 5.1.3.

What I tried was creating an empty image with Disk Copy. Then dragging over all the files I wanted. The system folder I used was from a 8.5 Restore CD that came with the iMacs. After saving the image I burned with Toast. So can anyone want to tell me what I am doing wrong or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

bstone
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2003, 01:37 PM

Probably your ROM code from the 8.5 CD. I also created a bootable CD using 9.2.2 but I also know that when newer Macs came out, my CD wouldn't boot them. It's like a game of cat and mouse, sigh.

Brad

MyndCraft  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 01:49 PM

Okay,,, not sure what to try then anything you can recommend? I don't really have access to another boot cd to copy system files.... I could copy them from a 9.2 machine I have elsewhere...

When using Toast is there any special options I may have missed to make the disc bootable? Also if I just drag the system folder from a Apple Restore CD into Toast will it be blessed or is there anything I have to do to it?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2003, 12:00 AM

When it comes to issues like these, Google is your friend. Take a look at this Roxio support page. Another thing you'll want to remember when choosing your install CD is that you should use a universal OS CD rather than an iMac specific one, especially if you're going to be troubleshooting models other than the one the iMac CD came from. You can't, for example, boot a Power Mac off an iMac CD. Don't use a CD as a base that is older than the newest machine you wish to administer, either. Finally, I would recommend using the Make Image From Device function in Disk Copy rather than dragging the components over manually. It's a good idea to read that note from Roxio, since it details most of this.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 01:20 AM

I'm you're gonna use Toast, I'm pretty sure you need to burn the discs in OS 9 in order for them to be bootable. Also, make sure to use HFS and not HFS+.

Forum Links
Forum Rules