Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Charges filed for deaths in Great White club fire

Charges filed for deaths in Great White club fire
keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 18, 2003, 06:27 AM

No charges against the band. Club owners and Great White tour manager each charged with 200 counts of involuntary manslaughter:

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news/1209ris.shtml

Of course they all plead innocent and are still pointing their respective fingers at each other.

This was a pretty big topic here when that fire happened way back in February. Thought some of you might be interested in an update.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 07:29 AM

No! You've broken the first rule of news reporting:

Never follow-up on a story later.

I'm sure it isn't true, but it sure seems like it. Every time I tune into CNN and hear some interesting news story, they always say to "stay tuned to CNN for the latest updates." Yet, I never hear another word about it.

Of course, I guess it is a good habit to break, so you may proceed.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 09:15 AM

Hmmm. The band is guilty of something... Afterall, it was their pyro that set the place ablaze.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Lerkfish
Dec 18, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Hmmm. The band is guilty of something... Afterall, it was their pyro that set the place ablaze.
this is my opinion as well. If they find the club owners liable, they must also find the people who set off the pyrotechnics liable. IMHO

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
this is my opinion as well. If they find the club owners liable, they must also find the people who set off the pyrotechnics liable. IMHO
That's not the way it works.

Bands offer up a show. Pyro is part of that show.

Where this show is performed - what kind of venue, how large, location, etc. is not usually something the band itself is involved in much.

Tour management deals with local venues, makes contracts, sees to it that those venues are up to the requirements of the show. The band generally just shows up and walks on stage.

So responsibility is shared between those who deemed the venue viable for the show, whose details were known in advance: Tour management and venue owner.

I presume that if the tour manager was smart enough to get a signed guarantee that the place was up to spec, he'd be off the hook as well - though it may have been his responsibility upon arrival to cancel the show, or at least the pyro.

-s*

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 01:55 PM

There should have been more individuals charged. I agree with the families. Some in the band and government also bear responsibilty for this tragic accident.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Some in the band and government also bear responsibilty for this tragic accident.
Again: most likely, the band just showed up at the venue an hour or two before the gig for the soundcheck, secure in the knowledge that everything is taken care of for the show.

It is NOT the bands' job or responsibility to ensure the safety of a venue.

It's like charging the actors for a theater fire.

It is horrible that this happened, and my sympathy is with the injured, the survivors, and the families - and with the musicians, who will have to deal with it every day of their working life.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules