Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Klipsch 5.1 Ultra revisited

Klipsch 5.1 Ultra revisited
Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 01:38 AM

Well, my speakers arrived this morning in perfect condition direct from Klipsch. I didn't want to drag up the old thread but I promised a review so here goes...

First impressions:

Damn that sub is big! And heavy. I guess the dual side firing woofers add to the weight of what seems a very well built and solid subwoofer box. Oh, and the amplifier is in there as well, so more weight. The satelites are smaller than I expected. They look bigger in pictures. They are very light weight and the speaker boxes are a muted metallic grey plastic. Definately computer speaker-like. But they look good anyhow. I like the visual design of the whole system. It's refined and understated. No chrome, shiny parts or flashing lights saying "look at me"! Even the volume control preamp looks classy and matches the PowerBook nicely.

Setup was easy. All the required cables and speaker wire were included in the box. Included instructions are simple. I'm using the M-Audio Sonica Theater for my soundcard and it routes the multi channel sound to the inputs on the subwoofer. I was up and running in short order. The only problem is my setup is on a table and the PowerBook blocks the center speaker. iCurve is next on the list.

So how does it sound? Amazing for a computer speaker system. Tight but rich bass (not boomy!) from the sub and the satellites are very natural sounding. Vocals especially sound good, and they can be a real test of a speaker system. Natural, rich, not overly bright, even though the speakers can put out bright treble. I've eclectic tastes and and everthing I've yet played sounds good. All in all, the ProMedia Ultra is an excellent system for music listening. My only complaint is the volume isn't what I expected. The speakers are a "near field design" and sound best when positioned close to the listener. They do fill the apartment with sound, but not as well as a dedicated home stereo or surround system.

Next I tried out a DVD. No software DTS decoders on the Mac, but the Sonica Theater's SRS CircleSurround II did an impressive job simulating 5.I surround. I used the Balrog scene from LOTR. The dynamic range is really surprising, and the sound was really THX Cinema-like! I had to turn down the sound right away as my neighbors are downstairs and I didn't want to shake them out of bed. Movie playback will be even better with a real DTS decoder but so far this setup is really impressive. It isn't the equal of the Yamaha Theater in a box system I was looking at, which my girlfriend owns, but it's not far off. An additional SWS subwoofer or 2, or 16 should up the ante.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 01:35 PM

My old 2.1 still serving me well, congrats on the new speakers!.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2004, 03:37 AM

---
( Last edited by RayX; May 20, 2006 at 06:27 AM. )

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 17, 2004, 02:56 PM

It seems that there aren't many systems that have built in decoders, at least not at the high end. And there aren't many stand alone decoders. Since most any PC can decode in software (the M-Audio Sonica Theater ships with WinDVD included on CD), there isn't as much of a demand for computer speakers that offer decoding, seemingly. I haven't heard if Tiger will remedy this issue, but it would be nice if DVD Player or some other DVD player software could do the decoding in software on a Mac. Maybe a later version of the ProMedia Ultra will include a built in decoder like the 100 watt ProMedia 5.1 GMX, or some of the Logitech systems.
In the meantime I'll probably buy the Creative decoder. That will accept the S/PIDF signal out from the Sonica Theater and has some nice features even though it's fugly.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 07:13 PM

Glad you like the speakers! I don't think you will regret the extra $$$ by going for the Klipsch + Creative decoder vs a cheaper 5.1 system with a built-in decoder.

i don't think that Klipsch will add a decoder to the Promedias though because for computer multimedia speakers the top-of-the-line price point is $400 and so adding a decoder to a set of speakers and keeping it at $400 will compromise quality. I do hope they release a new decoder though as their old one was great and yeah that creative one is ugly and plastic!

Ruahrc

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 01:04 AM

Is the Klipsch 2.1 setup better then the Soundsticks? Obviously they don't look as cool, but I'm more interested in how it sounds. I would love to go with the 5.1 setup, but can't justify the price at this point.
Thank you!

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 01:36 AM

Going by the sound of my 5.1 system playing music at 2.1 (surround off) I'd bet the ProMedia 2.1 would sound far better than the HK Soundsticks. The soundsticks sounded harsh to me when I last heard a set.

Personally I really like the looks of the Klipsch products.

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
Glad you like the speakers! I don't think you will regret the extra $$$ by going for the Klipsch + Creative decoder vs a cheaper 5.1 system with a built-in decoder.

i don't think that Klipsch will add a decoder to the Promedias though because for computer multimedia speakers the top-of-the-line price point is $400 and so adding a decoder to a set of speakers and keeping it at $400 will compromise quality. I do hope they release a new decoder though as their old one was great and yeah that creative one is ugly and plastic!

Ruahrc
I spoke with a Klipsch support guy who told me they are working on sourcing a supplier for a new decoder (with better features). He told me that until then the Creative decoder is the best one out there made specifically for computers. One nice feature is the abiltiy to bypass the decoder and route the signal from the soundcard (i.e. Sonica Theater) directly to the speakers, which I would prefer to do for music listening. So I'll probably buy the Creative Decoder and when the Klipsh decoder is out I can sell off the fugly one.

Seriously Ruahrc, thanks for all your advice! You really helped and I couldn't be happier about my speaker choice.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
Going by the sound of my 5.1 system playing music at 2.1 (surround off) I'd bet the ProMedia 2.1 would sound far better than the HK Soundsticks. The soundsticks sounded harsh to me when I last heard a set.

Personally I really like the looks of the Klipsch products.
Thank you! If I wanted to go with something like the 5.1 I would need to use the optical audio out on a G5, or use a PCI or USB sound card is this correct? I wonder what the best setup would be for that. Is Klipsch going to release a 7.1 system soon?

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Is the Klipsch 2.1 setup better then the Soundsticks? Obviously they don't look as cool, but I'm more interested in how it sounds. I would love to go with the 5.1 setup, but can't justify the price at this point.
Thank you!

at this low-end level of audio, just go out and see which ones sound best to you.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 09:09 AM

Anyone ran these off Airtunes?
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Thank you! If I wanted to go with something like the 5.1 I would need to use the optical audio out on a G5, or use a PCI or USB sound card is this correct? I wonder what the best setup would be for that. Is Klipsch going to release a 7.1 system soon?
The 500 watt ProMedia 5.1 Ultra requires a soundcard to distribute the analog signals to the sub/amplifier. Other speaker systems have internal decoders to which you connect a digital coax or optical cable. The 100 watt ProMedia GMX-D 5.1 is this type of system.

So is the Logitech Z-5500 Digital which I nearly bought.

dabigdawg
Oct 29, 2004, 04:01 PM

I use the DD 5.1 with my older 5.1 klipsch pro media's using the optical connection from my G5 works great decodes DTS ad Dolby digital

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=433
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 30, 2004, 02:05 AM

They stopped making the DD5.1 due to the supplier going under.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 05:23 AM

Ahh I was wondering why they stopped selling the DD5.1, it is a great little box. Maybe I will upgrade when they come out with their new decoder, prologic 2 and 24/196 dacs would be great to have.

Seriously Ruahrc, thanks for all your advice! You really helped and I couldn't be happier about my speaker choice.
No problem, glad I could help another enjoy his music!

Ruahrc

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
at this low-end level of audio, just go out and see which ones sound best to you.
I agree with bimmerphile, my signature explains how I feel about speakers like the SoundSticks. Listen to Edirol's, Roland's, or something intended to reproduce audio correctly and with quality. Speakers that look "cool" usually are not intended to reproduce audio with any degree of accuracy.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules