Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > White Smoke From Sistine Chapel - New Pope?

White Smoke From Sistine Chapel - New Pope? (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
To be honest, if we attended a Catholic church I'd be afraid to leave my son in a room alone with a priest. I'm 100% serious. It's sad, but true.
But you would leave him with alone with a Mormon, Baptist or Presbyterian ?

-t

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 02:07 PM

shouldn't this topic be in a religious forum?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 02:11 PM

To be honest, if we attended a Catholic church I'd be afraid to leave my son in a room alone with a priest. I'm 100% serious. It's sad, but true.
If you allow me to be honest, Cody, you suffer under some extreme reality distortion. And I'm 100% serious too. You probably watch too much TV or something.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 19, 2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
shouldn't this topic be in a religious forum?
Amen brother - err, uhm ... aaah damn, never mind.

swrate
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 02:30 PM

considering the political impact of HH Jean-Paul II
i wonder,
"Those people so uptight, they sure know how to make a mess"

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 02:32 PM

I really can't believe that even in a thread about the new pope MacNN idiots make a connection to WWII and Hitler just because he's German!! You guys are sooo retarded!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 02:38 PM

Who's Jean-Paul? Is that like Jean-Luc? That would be a cool pope name, Pope Jean-Luc II. "Make it so, No. 1"

Yes, I am a fallen rc.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by badidea
I really can't believe that even in a thread about the new pope MacNN idiots make a connection to WWII and Hitler just because he's German!! You guys are sooo retarded!
I hope you aren't trolling and are just misinformed, but Ratzinger�s past includes brief membership of the Hitler Youth movement and wartime service with a German army anti- aircraft unit.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 02:43 PM

bad idea is almost always trolling.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by badidea
The connection is very real, but rather in Ratzinger's favor.
From wikipedia:

When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth, but according to his biographer John Allen he was not an enthusiastic member. He requested to be taken off the rolls and reportedly refused to attend a single meeting. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for the guarding of a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Hungary, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences until fleeing in April 1944 (an offense punishable by death).
So, here's something positive about the new pope: He's not a nazi

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 02:45 PM

TETENAL: You have no clue about my life experiences - or a friend's child who was molested by a priest and is still seeing a shrink.

Like I said before, don't be so judgemental.

Or, be judgemental AFTER you know ALL of the facts. I live in an area where no less than 5 priests have been reported and removed in the last 10 years (that we know of) because of sexual molestation of boys. So, yeah, it sticks in my mind.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 02:48 PM

Cody, how many boys have been molested by men who aren't priests in your area?

You shouldn't be so judgmental either.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:52 PM

"The FOURTH REICH!"

Yes, I heard the thing about him governing over the pedophilia priests on the news. To be honest, if we attended a Catholic church I'd be afraid to leave my son in a room alone with a priest. I'm 100% serious. It's sad, but true.

as opposed to leaving your 15 year old daughter in a room alone with Bill Clinton?

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Randman

Randman, would you not agree that a priest might be held to a higher standard? Hence the disappointment and general distrust since the scandals rocked the church. This is less about being judgmental than cautious, I would think.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by LaGow
Randman, would you not agree that a priest might be held to a higher standard? Hence the disappointment and general distrust since the scandals rocked the church. This is less about being judgmental than cautious, I would think.

LaGow, would you not agree that a President might be held to a higher standard? Hence the disappointment and general distrust since the scandals that rocked the Clinton Administration. This is less about being judgemental than cautious, I would think.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:56 PM

So, where does this dude sit in with all the soothsayers of doom? Isn't he supposed to be the penultimate pontiff?
Heh... St. Malachy said so. He supposedly saw the future and prophesized about all 112 popes between his time and the End Of Time. The trouble is: We're now on number 111.

Google yielded this:
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...3/180901.shtml

The 111th prophecy is "Gloria Olivae" (The Glory of the Olive). The meaning of the olive is unclear. The Order of Saint Benedict � not St. Malachy � has claimed that this pope will come from its ranks and Saint Benedict himself prophesied that before the end of the world his Order, known also as the Olivetans, will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its final fight against evil.

The 112th prophecy says, "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people.
note: this article (and St. Malachy's writings, of course...) was written before today, when the new pope decided to take the name "Benedict" to add fuel to this fire...

Then again, St. Malachy was Irish, which means that all his pronouncements were probalby heavily influenced by whiskey.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 02:56 PM

i don't get that...we shouldn't judge priests who molest boys because non priests also do it?

nevermind

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 02:58 PM

Hmm, Order of Saint Benedict ... Benedict 16. Hmmm.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy
LaGow, would you not agree that a President might be held to a higher standard? Hence the disappointment and general distrust since the scandals that rocked the Clinton Administration. This is less about being judgemental than cautious, I would think.

Red herring. We're talking about priests. Keep your facts straight.

Deimos
Apr 19, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
But you would leave him with alone with a Mormon, Baptist or Presbyterian ?

-t

Or a Rabbi.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 03:00 PM

Yup. One of my co-workers says he doesn't care about Social Secutiry anymore, he's probably not going to need it.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
i don't get that...we shouldn't judge priests who molest boys because non priests also do it?
No, it means making a blanket statement such as that while telling someone else not to be "judgemental" seemed a bit hypocritical, imo.

As far as the priests who abused kids, I think they should be ex-communicated, flogged and hanged.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 03:02 PM

No, it means making a blanket statement such as that while telling someone else not to be "judgemental" seemed a bit hypocritical, imo.

As far as the priests who abused kids, I think they should be ex-communicated, flogged and hanged.
got ya

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 03:02 PM

Of course priests are held to a higher standard. That's why such cases draw media attention while dozens or hundreds of the same crime committed by regular people remain unreported. To suspect all priests of doing such things is severe reality distortion.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 19, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
I hope you aren't trolling and are just misinformed, but Ratzinger�s past includes brief membership of the Hitler Youth movement and wartime service with a German army anti- aircraft unit.
Huh? I'm the last one to defend Ratzinger - but if you can name 3 people of the same age who weren't in the HJ, I'd be very, very surprised. Same thing goes for serving/not serving in the Reichsarmee during WW II.

My grandfather (he was an army cook in Norway, LOL) used to tell me stories about the pressure that was put on parents as well as their kids (young=HJ, late teens = army) to join these respective organizations. Unless you were extremely wealthy and/or influential, your chances of gettingawround that particular "Vaterlandspflicht" were exactly "zero".

In school, kids were taught to report their parents to party officials at their school if they saw them doing something "undeutsch" ("un-german"), e.g., secretly listening to enemy radio stations (= "BBC").

The Nazis were quite a bit slicker than you give them credit for.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 03:05 PM

Heck, I'd just settle for prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I'm still trying to figure out why authorities are so timid about bringing charges, unless there's some weird statute of limitations thing going.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2005, 03:05 PM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by dreilly1
The 112th prophecy says, "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people.
So. if the next pope is an Italian who takes the name Peter, we're all

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 19, 2005, 03:08 PM

According to that prophecy, I'd say it's gonna suck big time to be living in Rome when that time cometh - as for the rest, meh ...

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Of course priests are held to a higher standard. That's why such cases draw media attention while dozens or hundreds of the same crime committed by regular people remain unreported. To suspect all priests of doing such things is severe reality distortion.
It comes down to trust. Those priests represent an institution. What they did damaged that institution's credibility and one has to wonder just how far it went. So I guess the question for many Catholics is and remains: do I trust my parish priest after what has been revealed over the last year or two? For most parishioners, I'm pretty sure that answer is "yes."

But for some, there is doubt. I don't see that as a distortion of reality. In fact I see regarding all parish preists as inherantly "safe" as turning a blind eye.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 03:10 PM

ARG! i'm so pissed. /sarcasm
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 03:27 PM

God bless Benedicto XVI. May he be granted the wisdom, kindness, courage and vision required.

“Building Better Worlds”

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
God bless Benedicto XVI. May he be granted the wisdom, kindness, courage and vision required.
Required for what?

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I'd love to see them opened, myself. My guess is that the problem is that nobody knows exactly what's in there, except that most of it dates back to antiquity. Most of the stuff in those archives hasn't been seen, much less touched, in hundreds of years, and without Papal approval they can't even start building a proper catalog for it all, much less actually open it. Nobody wants to start that project. Also, I'm forced to admit that no sane Pope would open the archives without at least having a general idea of what was in them first. No one wants to stumble upon some great classical work that the Church would then be blamed for suppressing. There's even a small but nonzero chance that some ultimate proof or disproof of Church teachings would be found there, and so it's not surprising that they woldn't want to look in there.
Wow, such courage in the Vatican.
I'm sorry, but that's appalling. Isn't their faith strong enough to overcome any "truths" that might be revealed in those archives? They don't deserve to have those archives.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 03:33 PM

Required for what?
To pass High School. Most priests are pretty dumb. I mean, does anyone actually believe Jesus could pass modern High school exams?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 03:35 PM

His name will be Butros Butros Gali.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 03:38 PM

Jesus was a carpenter. Don't need to be a rocket scientist but not a total idiot either.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 03:41 PM

Again, how do they decide those saint names? Educate me, please. Someone, anyone

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 03:41 PM

Jesus was a carpenter. Don't need to be a rocket scientist but not a total idiot either.
But...he's God and can walk on water...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
But...he's God and can walk on water...
Congrats on going "green". Actually, he'd be considered the son of God. A demi-god actually. And the water bit has nothing to do with anything else on this thread.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 03:49 PM

Required for what?
The responsibility he has chosen to shoulder.

“Building Better Worlds”

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 03:51 PM

BBC Slideshow with captions.

I BELIEVE I CAN FLY!

Plans for world domination, sir.
We'll get the CEO to read it out loud.

Smells funny. Where do you normally keep it?

A longer cape next time, Alfred.

My name ain't Alfred. My name is Michael Caine.

Let's get married?
That's up to him.
Why?

I'm available!

So am I!

Come and get it!

Meet me in the confession box!

What for?!

Ah, that was so good darling.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 04:10 PM

entrox
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
Unbelievable! It took 5 whole hours to get a Hitler-Ratzinger? I'm disappointed

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
Again, how do they decide those saint names? Educate me, please. Someone, anyone
They can pick any name they want or stick with their current name. Often they'll pick the name of someone who has their convictions or particular attributes, or take a name like Pious, etc. I believe there was only a few Popes that had to choose names because their given name was inappropriate such as Marcellus if memory serves me.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX
They can pick any name they want or stick with their current name. Often they'll pick the name of someone who has their convictions or particular attributes, or take a name like Pious, etc. I believe there was only a few Popes that had to choose names because their given name was inappropriate such as Marcellus if memory serves me.
Thanks! I find this insteresting, actually. If I have the time, I may read about it.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by entrox
Unbelievable! It took 5 whole hours to get a Hitler-Ratzinger? I'm disappointed
i would have done it sooner but i was busy

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 04:47 PM

Habemus Papem.

and everyone on CNN will butcher this... but I can pronounce it properly (studying Latin)

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 04:54 PM

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 19, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash

Alfred E. Ratzinger ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules