Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 5)
SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 01:52 PM

mAxximo : I guess I am just lucky to have all of my drives and partitions indexed by spotlight.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 02:54 PM

Ok so when are quicktime movies dynamically updates (hitting command 1, 2 etc). With some movie files it does it smoothly in real time and others it just jumps.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:32 PM

The (expanded) Save dialog sheet in TextEdit doesn't like resizing. The search field jumps and renders the navigation pulldown menu unusable.

No big deal, cancelling and re-entering the dialog works.

J

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
The (expanded) Save dialog sheet in TextEdit doesn't like resizing. The search field jumps and renders the navigation pulldown menu unusable.

No big deal, cancelling and re-entering the dialog works.

J
Works perfectly here.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
Works perfectly here.
Weirdly enough, I could repeat it several times, until I read your post and relaunched the app. Hrmph. Let's see if I can figure out what caused the condition.

J

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
mAxximo : I guess I am just lucky to have all of my drives and partitions indexed by spotlight.
No, it's not luck. It's the way OS X has always been. Works in a certain way for some people and for some other it doesn't. Problems I have in my machine at work I don't have at home and viceversa. This is not new and Tiger won't be an exception, unfortunately.

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
No, it's not luck. It's the way OS X has always been. Works in a certain way for some people and for some other it doesn't. Problems I have in my machine at work I don't have at home and viceversa. This is not new and Tiger won't be an exception, unfortunately.
Have you considered bad karma as the culprit?
Learn MacOS X's new ways and try to get acquainted with the different philosophy. Instead of forcefully trying to go back to old ways.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Have you considered bad karma as the culprit?
Learn MacOS X's new ways and try to get acquainted with the different philosophy. Instead of forcefully trying to go back to old ways.
You can't be more wrong, of course. Save your condescension for the people you actually know something about.

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2005, 05:26 PM

You can't be more wrong, of course. Save your condescension for the people you actually know something about.
It's a joke, so relax.
I was fighting with some more serious bugs of Tiger, rather than worrying whether or not my volumes all get indexed.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ok so when are quicktime movies dynamically updates (hitting command 1, 2 etc). With some movie files it does it smoothly in real time and others it just jumps.
Anyone figure it out yet?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 05:18 AM

On my powerbook the calander icon in the dock is fixed on the 17th and doesn't update automatically (or manually) with todays date. Is this normal, it showed the correct date in previous releases
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
BTW. in the International(Formats)preferences; if I set the time seperators to colon then it does not work. I still get the dot as a seperator in the menubar.
Took me a while to sort this out.
You need make sure that you're changing the 'medium' time format in the 'International' System Preference.

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Pither
On my powerbook the calander icon in the dock is fixed on the 17th and doesn't update automatically (or manually) with todays date. Is this normal, it showed the correct date in previous releases
Thats always been how it works.
It only shows todays date in the dock when you click on iCal and actually open it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
Is it just me, or is iChat Agent not responding in Artivity Monitor? Anyone else have a mysterious "Library" file in the network Finder window? And when your HD is the Dock and you ctl click on it, it brings up some system mach files?
It's not just you. iChat Agent eventually turns red and says it is not responding for me too. Not really sure what this particular process does.

OAW

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 05:53 AM

Just a word of warning to others, I installed Tiger and then immediately installed 3ivx and divx for better Quicktime support. I do not think these components are Tiger-ready, as I noticed strange problems in Quicktime and beyond. For example, I could play a movie in Quicktime, minimize it, and then it would not unminimize. Then if I hid Quicktime and showed it, the movie would be playing where it should and the minimized window would remain.

I also noticed Automator had 2 help menus. I asked other friends who have installed Tiger if this was the case and they confirmed not. The nib file also had only one Help menu so I was wondering if another thing was causing this. After uninstalling 3ivx and divx and restarting Automator suddenly had a single help menu as it should. Very strange problems.
Genius. You know who.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Pither

Opps a restart fixed that.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 06:34 AM

QuickTime Player has two help menus. DivX plugin installed.

hurtle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by spectreman
I can't send mail in Mail.app... anyone else having this problem?

Disregard... I fixed it.
I'm having this problem with mail app, how did you fix yours??

TIA

Deimos
Apr 30, 2005, 07:03 AM

Just got back from my vacation and what was waiting for me? Tigger.

It's pretty good so far, but it does feel very rough round the edges. I've come across quite a number of little bugs, nothing that brings the game to a halt, but still bothersome. Here's a few that come to mind.

Selecting items in Finder sometimes leaves the highlight on previously selected items.

Send break (ctrl-c, cmd-.) doesn't work for me in Terminal. Have to close the window to exit a process like reading a man page.

Can't maximise Quicktime or Quartz Composer windows from the Dock. Apparantly it's an issue with nVidia cards, but I'm using an ATi, so go figure).

Mail didn't import some of my mailboxes from Panther Mail. According to the docs it doesn't import empty mailboxes, so I'll need to go check and see of those mailboxes were empty in the first place.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 08:06 AM

THIS can't be good...

Trying to launch the Activity Monitor, and it crashes. Looking at the crash log shows:

Code:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphKit.framework/Versions/A/GraphKit Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity Monitor Reason: image not found
That's not good at all....

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by johnt519
THIS can't be good...

Trying to launch the Activity Monitor, and it crashes. Looking at the crash log shows:

Code:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphKit.framework/Versions/A/GraphKit Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity Monitor Reason: image not found
That's not good at all....
All is better.. I hope. Reinstalled and the required framework is back. Go figure...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 11:19 AM

This might not be a decent bug report, but Tiger AFP communication between my Macs at home sucks big time. It's slow, hangs and lags the Finder. I hope 10.4.1 will take care of that...

KS-Jayhawk
Apr 30, 2005, 12:37 PM

Now that I have installed Tiger, I cannot send email from mail, it gives some SMTP error - how do I fix this, I tried the online help, but everything looks good???
Vote for Pedro

euphras
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 01:09 PM

Unable to connect to my old SCSI file server running OS 8.1. I get error message "file server uses an unsupported version of afp"

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

OreoCookie
Apr 30, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
Unable to connect to my old SCSI file server running OS 8.1. I get error message "file server uses an unsupported version of afp"

How many years ago was 8.1? (My first Mac came with OS 8.0, so I guess 98, 7 years?)

euphras
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 01:45 PM

well, its an issue for me since i backed everything up on my old Quadra950. Now i�m unable to reinstall my files and music. Guess i have to install a very sleek OS 9 in order to get them back. Others than that: I�m very impressed with "Tiger" (switched from 10.1.5).

very snappy

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 01:50 PM

The reason my partitions were indexed is because they contains SYSTEM folders for OS X. All of them.

So there is a reason they were indexed, not as luck. I was just wondering if you could figure it out. You couldn't.

OreoCookie
Apr 30, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
well, its an issue for me since i backed everything up on my old Quadra950. Now i�m unable to reinstall my files and music. Guess i have to install a very sleek OS 9 in order to get them back. Others than that: I�m very impressed with "Tiger" (switched from 10.1.5).

very snappy
I'm pretty sure 8.1 is the last OS you can run on Quadras ..., the others require PowerPCs.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 02:17 PM

Discovered a bug in the new Mail app. The following is the feedback I sent to Apple .....

"In the Mail application in OS X 10.4 one of the criterion that can be used to setup a smart mailbox is "Sender is Member of Group". Unfortunately, this feature does NOT work reliably. I have an address group called "Family" but for some reason all the email I receive from family members do not show up in the smart mailbox. The culprits appear to be my mother and my sister who both have AOL accounts. In the mail listing pane the From column appears as "[email protected]" instead of "Firstname Lastname". However, when you double-click the entry and bring up the email in its own window it shows the "smart address" as I specified. This is the only pattern I can find for those emails from family members that don't show up in the smart mailbox I setup. The emails from other family members do show up ... and all of these show "Firstname Lastname" in the From column.

Thanks!

OAW"

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 06:23 PM

Drag a Finder window under the Dock, and let go. It�s now completely covered, and you can�t get at it anymore!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

v.noir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Deimos
Send break (ctrl-c, cmd-.) doesn't work for me in Terminal. Have to close the window to exit a process like reading a man page.
Wasn't it ctrl-z? It's ctrl-z for me, and was on Panther too.

Deimos
Apr 30, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by v.noir
Wasn't it ctrl-z? It's ctrl-z for me, and was on Panther too.

I'm having a loss of memory day here, it is ctrl-z.

Thanks.

v.noir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 06:59 PM

I was hammering cmd-x for ages... everyone laugh, go on!

Deimos
Apr 30, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by v.noir
I was hammering cmd-x for ages... everyone laugh, go on!
I think we end up hammering any old key-combo these days in the hope we get the right one, lol.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 07:46 PM

Is anyone else here having trouble minimizing/maximizing QT Player windows?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

deeperhue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 08:08 PM

On my NT4 PDC-based network at work, I can no longer authenticate to servers on the network. This is a fatal bug for me and I cannot install Tiger at work.
-kev

Derek-UTAustin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 08:21 PM

I think I found a bug. I exported my addresses from my Yahoo! Web Mail to a comma delimeted format called YAHOO.CSV.

Address Book in OS X has a nifty import option. FILE -- IMPORT -- TEXT FILE...

When I select the file and get all the header fields aligned properly, click OK does nothing. I have to cancel out of it and my addresses do not get imported. Bummer.

Derek

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
The reason my partitions were indexed is because they contains SYSTEM folders for OS X. All of them.

So there is a reason they were indexed, not as luck. I was just wondering if you could figure it out. You couldn't.
Really?
Because my Panther partition is precisely the one not being indexed. Strange, I guess there must be a �SYSTEM folder for OS X� somewhere in there.
So once again you thought you had something figured out but no...you hadn't.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 08:42 PM

By the way, I tried the mdutil thing in the Terminal but it didn't work...returned some �unable to set indexing status� or something similar. Any ideas?

OreoCookie
Apr 30, 2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by deeperhue
On my NT4 PDC-based network at work, I can no longer authenticate to servers on the network. This is a fatal bug for me and I cannot install Tiger at work.
Can you be more specific?
Tiger uses samba 3.0.10, so I'm fairly sure we can make this work.

Are you familiar with the Terminal? If so, do the following: go to a MacOS X machine at work which can access your servers. Launch the Terminal. Enter `cd /private/etc ENTER'. Enter `less smb.conf ENTER'. Copy and paste the output here.

I think you can give a possible fix a try anyway. Open the Terminal on your Tiger machine. Login as administrator. Open the Terminal. Type `sudo -s ENTER'. Enter your admin password (the same you used to login as administrator). Enter `cd /private/etc ENTER'. Enter `pico smb.conf'. Look for the line that says `auth methods = guest opendirectory'. Add a space and type `ntdomain'. Save the file and restart your machine. Try to access your servers. If this didn't work, try again the procedure above, but enter winbind instead of ntdomain.

ourisman
Apr 30, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by spectreman
I can't send mail in Mail.app... anyone else having this problem?

Disregard... I fixed it.

Spectreman, I'm having this same problem. WHAT did you do to fix it?

thanks!!! [email protected]

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 09:06 PM

Not really a bug but permissions repairs are like 10 times faster now than with 10.3.9. Does anyone else notice this?
12.1" Powerbook G4

v.noir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 09:10 PM

Sure do! Using the update_prebinding command also seems faster, but repairing permissions takes a fraction of the time it used to.
17" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 09:27 PM

Really?
Because my Panther partition is precisely the one not being indexed. Strange, I guess there must be a �SYSTEM folder for OS X� somewhere in there.
So once again you thought you had something figured out but no...you hadn't.
Once again?

Strange, yes. Below is a pict showing a folder found on my external drive labeled x2 and the same folder on my boot 10.4 drive. Both have 10.4, but not Panther. My panther drives are not mounted so maybe it does have something to do with that. It may be a result of me using Archive and Install from the account I used on all the developer builds of Tiger.

Regardless, for some reason, it will index external drives and partitions.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 09:28 PM

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that Tiger has broken Carbon Copy Cloner.

"Apple has broken all of my apps under Tiger. Its a really stupid, simple little bug that affects authentication. I'll fix my apps as soon as possible but I'm hoping Apple will fix the bug." (Mike Bombich)
I tried it and when you try to enter your administrator password, it freezes. I'm not sure yet if it will still work on my scheduled backup, I guess I will find out on Monday.

There is a workaround, here but I doubt I will be mucking about in the Terminal. If this isn't fixed pronto I will be looking into SuperDuper. Has anyone tried it?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that Tiger has broken Carbon Copy Cloner.
Well, many of us have switched form CCC to ASR in DiskUtility. It works fine. Give it a try.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 08:35 AM

What about update_prebinding?

You used to be able to do something like
> sudo update_prebinding -root /
to update all prebindings. Now there's not even a man entry for it. WTF?

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2005, 08:41 AM

I can confirm this one too. It sees my Tiger partition only. You said rushed out?
Most annoyingly, Spotlight will turn all my normal windows to metal! Arrrggghhhhh.
DAMN!! me too!!! I have 3 internal drives on my PowerMac G4 and it doesn find anything on my other two disks... it only search on my tiger one!!! help!!!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Well, many of us have switched form CCC to ASR in DiskUtility. It works fine. Give it a try.
Is it bootable the way a clone is? Apple's help files don't say. Secondly, how can I set up a weekly automated backup schedule?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Is it bootable the way a clone is? Apple's help files don't say. Secondly, how can I set up a weekly automated backup schedule?
Yes, you can boot from Disk-Utility-created backups.

As for automated backup schedules...add an Automator script to crontab?

Forum Links
Forum Rules