Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fleas?

Fleas?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 03:22 AM

I have my little dog here at the house (he's a rescue too but I think I'm going to keep him and not find him another home - first time ever that we'll keep a dog in 6 years) and I don't think he has fleas, at least not yet.

Normally I use Advantage on the dogs and we've never had a flea problem in the house.

But, I noticed the last two times I used it that I cannot stand the smell. I have a weird reaction to it, also. Twitching muscles and watering eyes. Tried Frontline and it was even worse. I feel like they're nerve agents or something. I'm sensitive to chemicals and whatever is in them is having a bad effect on me.

What do any of you do to prevent fleas? Any suggestions? I thought about using nothing but I know that once you get fleas getting rid of them is pretty next to impossible because they can live for a very long time in the house.

I used Advantage on the puppy yesterday and today the smell was so strong that I couldn't stand it. I had to shampoo him twice to try to wash some of it out. My eyes are itchy and watering, my nose is running, and the smell is making me sick to my stomach.

I'm sitting here with a paper towel because my nose is running from it.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 03:37 AM

Best thing to do is ask a vet.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 03:46 AM

I did. He said use Frontline. It was terrible. Then he suggested that Advantage was milder. It's still bad.

Isn't there anything homeopathic or organic?

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 03:57 AM

I'm sure you know this but maybe others probably don't. And so I should warn them against using shampoo made for people because of the strong detergents they use. Will do more harm than good toward the dog's skin. If you don't know which to buy that will be safe for your little friend ask a Vet. The first couple of years were tough for Spot La Rock (my 14yr old Pit/Mutt) as we didn't really know how to properly care for him. We did learn eventually but for the first few years he would come out the bath smelling of Joy dish washing soap or whatever else we had laying around. I miss em.

Did you try searching for it in google? I'll ask my Mom. She had some good ones. And yes they are safe and organic.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I did. He said use Frontline. It was terrible. Then he suggested that Advantage was milder. It's still bad.

Isn't there anything homeopathic or organic?
homeopathic treatments wont work for flea's.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2005, 04:55 AM

Ask a vet.
But if s/he recommends a flea collar then get yourself a new vet: one of my cats had a flea collar about eight years ago which made all the hair around it fall out - she still has a bare neck "band" to this day.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 08:38 AM

Ewwww...!

No hair where the collar was?

Yuck-o.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2005, 08:45 AM

You appear to have become sensitized to the chemicals in the flea killer. That could be caused by being exposed to them over a long period of time, or by some other agent that has made you more sensitive. The last time we used Frontline on our dogs (we had ticks in the yard for the first time this year!), I had the same sort of irritations-all classic symptoms of exposure to the kind of toxins used in insecticides. So we aired the house out as much as possible and I stayed away from the dogs for a while and I was better.

You need VERY GOOD ventilation when you use these products, and you should also wear gloves and a mask when you apply them. If you need more help than a surgical-style mask gives, get a respirator (I've seen them for around $20 at home centers) and block things on a molecular level.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 09:05 AM

are you sure you're not a flea? that could explain the bad reaction

andi*pandi
Oct 7, 2005, 10:21 AM

if you're not using the frontline stuff, then the best cure is flea baths, washing their bedding frequently, and the occasional flea bomb for which you have to vacate the house. I've heard of some folks using orange oil to deter fleas, certainly some pet shampoos have that... don't know if that's the effective part.

I found baths to be best, followed by washing all the bedding. If you break the cycle, they will stay away for a while (at least until the dog/cat goes out again).

Gator Lager
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 11:27 AM

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 7, 2005, 11:46 AM

Some dirty people also get fleas.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 12:05 PM

ghporter:
You appear to have become sensitized to the chemicals in the flea killer. That could be caused by being exposed to them over a long period of time, or by some other agent that has made you more sensitive. The last time we used Frontline on our dogs (we had ticks in the yard for the first time this year!), I had the same sort of irritations-all classic symptoms of exposure to the kind of toxins used in insecticides. So we aired the house out as much as possible and I stayed away from the dogs for a while and I was better.
Wow - that's amazing! Yes, you're describing the scenario right on. I had to wash the dog twice last night, then scrub out his crate, and wash his blanket. I'm a lot better this morning, but I still get a hint of the odor of it.

I just hope we don't get fleas now because I don't want to use that crap.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2005, 06:30 PM

Alaska: No fleas, no ticks, no snakes, hardly a poisonous spider to be found.

Unfortunately, I can offer no advice.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 11:35 AM

I'm very sorry to hear that Cody. Wishing you all the best. Allergies are no fun.

I will look in a book I have to see if the have anything else to use.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 01:45 PM

There's that other product that the dog or cat is given orally. It's a hormone that renders the flea sterile when they consume the blood of your pet. I can't remember the name of the product, but it worked great for our cats when they were still around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules