Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is apple notebook reliable?

Is apple notebook reliable?
mac_pc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 10:10 PM

I am considering a change to mac from pc. But I have heard so many stories about people's macbooks just going dead. I mean it just TURNS off. Well, for pc that rarely happens. Whats the deal with macbooks? I think I have heard like 50+ stories about their macbooks turning off or not turning on at all.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 11:18 PM

And you rarely hear about the thousands and thousands of MacBooks and other Macs that are just fine and dandy. Like my black MacBook.

A wonderful computer. The cheapest and most powerful Mac I've ever had.

I'm in heaven.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 11:21 PM

I guess you haven't heard about the Dell notebook that burst into flames. Go ahead and get a Mac. If it gives you any trouble, sell it to me used.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
I guess you haven't heard about the Dell notebook that burst into flames. Go ahead and get a Mac. If it gives you any trouble, sell it to me used.
Macs have had their share of exploding Lithium batteries too.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2006, 01:39 AM

To be honest, things like this are NOT that unusual with PC's... I challenge you to visit a Dell or similar PC-makers support forums and even *try* to compare how many issues there are to how many there are with these Macs. Get a Mac.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 08:55 AM

I've never had problems and my MacBook is fine. Forums like this tend to really distort issues. Those without problems are much less likely to come here in the first place, and far less likely to start threads than those with problems. I get paranoid before i buy any computer because of what i read on these forums and haven't had a problem with a new one in over a decade.

Dr.Michael
Jul 20, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Macs have had their share of exploding Lithium batteries too.
Hey mduell, still not able to read and spreading nonsense?

Here is the text that belongs to the photo:

"After having looked at some photos of Sophie’s charred Powerbook, which survived her apartment fire, I realized that I could really use a laptop that’s flame retardant."

http://www.immutablyme.com/?p=357

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 12:12 PM

My roommate's eMachines laptop shut off randomly all the time. At first it was due to processor throttling, now it just does it whenever it wants. Not Apple specific, there's just a lot more press about it because Apple's product lineup is so simple, and everyone hates apple.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 02:26 PM

I haven't heard of Mac's lithium batteries exploding since my PowerBook 5300cs was new. Apple notebooks are pretty reliable, I've never had a problem with my PowerBook G4, except the power adaptor died recently.

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 02:33 PM

MacBooks are just fine... I don't have a single issue with my MB.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

okoj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

Not had any problems with my Macbook yet, and it runs Photoshop CS1 at a good speed too.

Case
Jul 20, 2006, 03:00 PM

If you do get a macbook please do yourself a favor and get the black macbook. I love mine : )

JayMan8081
Jul 20, 2006, 03:20 PM

My MacBook is perfectly fine. If you get one and have any problems with it simply exchange it for another one at an Apple store. The first MacBook I purchased had a stuck pixel on the display. I took it back within the first week and asked to exchange for a new one. The Apple store clerk got his manager who said no problem. So I am extremely happy with my MacBook and Apple's service as well.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Hey mduell, still not able to read and spreading nonsense?

Here is the text that belongs to the photo:

"After having looked at some photos of Sophie’s charred Powerbook, which survived her apartment fire, I realized that I could really use a laptop that’s flame retardant."

http://www.immutablyme.com/?p=357
Sorry, I just picked the first image I found on GIS. Here's the laptop I was looking for:

Apple recalled thousands of laptop batteries after several reports of overheating.

Dr.Michael
Jul 21, 2006, 04:32 AM

that looks much better!

Indeed, these things can happen. It is very hard for quality control to find out because the ranges of operating modes are so wide (temp, humidity, variations in the voltage etc.). This usually shows after weeks or months of operation. Also the pressure to lower the price surely has its fair share.

But, my answer for the original poster mac_pc, usually macs work well. If you compare the overall uptime of a mac with the overall uptime of a pc with windows, macs win hands down. This is usually subsummed in the total cost of ownership. Macs used to cost more initially but during operation they do much better than most pcs.

On Macintouch you find a statistics about the reliabilities of mac portables, desktops and ipods. This is quite interesting.

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

You see, there are always models with problems, mostly in the initial revisions. Towards the end of a line the problems have mostly been worked out by apple. Real design flaws, like the G3 iBooks logic board, are rare.

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 08:29 AM

Apple sold like 1.33 Million Mac's last quarter. Even if only 500,000 of them were portables, say half of the 500,000 were MacBooks (non pro) the failure rate of 100 is still extremely low . That is one of the problems with boards like this, a few bad computers becomes blown way out of proportion. Anything that is mass produced is going to generate some lemons. The best thing about buying a MAC is there is only one throat to choke. With a WinTel box the hardware manufacturer blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames the hardware vendors and third party software vendors, the third party software vendors blame the end user and Microsoft. With Apple the buck stops with them, and tech support speaks American English as a primary language.

Originally Posted by mac_pc
I am considering a change to mac from pc. But I have heard so many stories about people's macbooks just going dead. I mean it just TURNS off. Well, for pc that rarely happens. Whats the deal with macbooks? I think I have heard like 50+ stories about their macbooks turning off or not turning on at all.

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 08:10 AM

Yeah dont do it man, it's a high risk world. once i was using my computer and it went to sleep without saying goodnight. so rude.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2006, 10:52 AM

Almost nobody posts "Man I'm so pleased with my new computer!" on a technical message board. Nope. They sit there enjoying their computer. So all you're likely to see on tech support boards is problems. The fact is that there are very few lemmons delivered, and very few of those are Macs. There are indeed occasional problems, but look at what people post: My MacBook Gets Dirty; My MacBook is slow running PPC Applications Through Rosetta; Should I Wait Until WWDS For A Possible Revision? Don't sweat it-GO FOR IT!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by foodog
Apple sold like 1.33 Million Mac's last quarter. Even if only 500,000 of them were portables, say half of the 500,000 were MacBooks (non pro) the failure rate of 100 is still extremely low . That is one of the problems with boards like this, a few bad computers becomes blown way out of proportion. Anything that is mass produced is going to generate some lemons. The best thing about buying a MAC is there is only one throat to choke. With a WinTel box the hardware manufacturer blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames the hardware vendors and third party software vendors, the third party software vendors blame the end user and Microsoft. With Apple the buck stops with them, and tech support speaks American English as a primary language.
Took the words, straight out of my mouth! Seconded!

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2006, 11:51 AM

The problem with internet forums for reporting problems, is that no one knows how many people are experiencing the same problems. The Macbook shutting off problem, I have heard was a run of batteries sold on some of the first release computers. The Mac Geek Gab recently had a good podcast on the subject as Dave Hamilton had the same problem. He called Apple and they replaced the battery quickly and without any hassles. Any problems I have had with my macs have been resolved by Apple fast. They are rated very highly for their support. So, even if you have problems(just like other computers companies do) Apple is the best at getting your problems resolved. Heck, I had a problem with my 1st gen imac fans being noisy and my DVD drive, so they sent me a new computer! That is great service...
My Blog-pakos.me

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2006, 02:12 PM

The best thing about buying a MAC is there is only one throat to choke. With a WinTel box the hardware manufacturer blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames the hardware vendors and third party software vendors, the third party software vendors blame the end user and Microsoft. With Apple the buck stops with them, and tech support speaks American English as a primary language.
Obviously you've never had a problem with drivers; AppleDoesntCare gave me nothing but the runaround.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2006, 03:00 PM

It is true about SOME drivers...I am one of the current iSub customes with a useless product on my Intel iMac. Overall though, at least we don't get the blue screen of death due to drivers! OSX handles them better in my opinion.
My Blog-pakos.me

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 08:15 AM

Not quite right. I very rarely have, but I've only been using Apple Computers since my parents bought an Apple ][ Plus in 1980.

I've had nothing but driver problems with Windows. Although XP and 2003 seems to handle driver related issues better than the previous versions. You still have the finger pointing anytime you have problems.

Try Microsoft support someday if you want the run around. As an example, not involving drivers, After days of phone support we finally got some MS engineers in to troubleshoot a Network Browsing problem, certain whole subnets would just vanish and appear again at a later time. They blamed the routers, the switches, the cabling, the fact there were Netware servers, Apple computers etc, etc.... After 2 weeks of diagnosing, the answer was, we'll have to escalate this to the next level of support. That was 2 years ago and still no resolution from MS. I would rather get kicked repeatedly in the groin than deal with Microsoft on a support issue.

Originally Posted by mduell
Obviously you've never had a problem with drivers; AppleDoesntCare gave me nothing but the runaround.

one sick puppy
Jul 24, 2006, 08:01 PM

My first Mac, iBook G4 had a buggy video chip that should have been detected during quality control. I didn't play games on it very often, so I didn't diagnose the problem until about 1 month into ownership. After fighting with a local vender, I got them to replace the unit rather than get it fixed. The second unit was great and worked flawlessly for 2 years until I (recently) sold it.
But this is not enough to draw any particularly accurate general conclusions about the quality of their hardware. What seems more telling to me is that they apparently don't even know how much heatsink compound to put on their CPUs. ???

http://www.maconintel.com/news.php?article=183

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2006, 01:12 AM

people slam apple at any given opportunity. like most people, i've had nothing but pleasure with my apple laptop, though it's not a macbook (Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, 12"), and i regularly throw everything from photoshop to pro tools at it without issue. It's never overheated, never had any form of cosmetic or operational fault, and always been an immensely enjoyable and quick machine.
People seem to forget that ANY brand new line of product will have release and qc issues, which is why many people wait for the second or third waves of release before purchasing, it's a lower risk. macbook is a whole new kind of apple laptop, so odd manufacturing defects are to be expected for a while. the same happened with the Xbox360 launch, people ranted and raved because some units were defective. FIRST MANUFACTURING MONTH, PEOPLE!! PS2 launch anyone?!! the world has selective amnesia.. show me one machine that has been defect-free when introducing such a host of new features and technologies as apple has with the macbook. new chip, new housing materials, new EVERYTHING.. all new territory for apple. look for dell / hp / any other brand and you'll find plenty of stories, they're just not as sensationalized as apple issues.
if you're that worried about getting a dud, hold out for the next wave, all they'll do is improve. but you have the protection of 7 days of over-the-counter-replacement time + standard 12 month warranty, use it if you have issues with heat/discoloration. if i were you i'd take the risk, the macbooks rock.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Strupat
Jul 25, 2006, 01:41 PM

Lesson of the day: Don't expect anything bad to be said about a Mac on MacNN.

For what it's worth, my experience with a Mac Mini was not good. I got it and thought, "Whoa, cool... OS X is alright!"

But after 6 months of forcing myself to learn OS X and trying to get used to it, I booted my old PC and posted my Mac on eBay the next day.

Also, don't get a Dell. Try a Japanese brand (but NOT Toshiba), they know their stuff (except Toshiba). I have an ASUS notebook and it hasn't crashed once in a year of running it almost 24/7.

That's just my two cents. Good luck on your decision.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Strupat

For what it's worth, my experience with a Mac Mini was not good. I got it and thought, "Whoa, cool... OS X is alright!"

But after 6 months of forcing myself to learn OS X and trying to get used to it, I booted my old PC and posted my Mac on eBay the next day.

Also, don't get a Dell. Try a Japanese brand (but NOT Toshiba), they know their stuff (except Toshiba). I have an ASUS notebook and it hasn't crashed once in a year of running it almost 24/7.

Asus makes nice machines (heck the built some of the iBooks and build the Macbook). I like that their models with cameras built in can rotate the camera to face in front of the notebook. Stay away from Dell, HP, Toshiba. Fujitsu, Sony, Asus are nice machines if you don't get a Mac.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 07:17 PM

Its people that what Apple to look bad or jest people who don't know what there talking about and getting old iBooks with bad batterys mixed up with MacBooks.
GET A MAC
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite
people slam apple at any given opportunity. like most people, i've had nothing but pleasure with my apple laptop, though it's not a macbook (Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, 12"), and i regularly throw everything from photoshop to pro tools at it without issue. It's never overheated, never had any form of cosmetic or operational fault, and always been an immensely enjoyable and quick machine.
People seem to forget that ANY brand new line of product will have release and qc issues, which is why many people wait for the second or third waves of release before purchasing, it's a lower risk. macbook is a whole new kind of apple laptop, so odd manufacturing defects are to be expected for a while. the same happened with the Xbox360 launch, people ranted and raved because some units were defective. FIRST MANUFACTURING MONTH, PEOPLE!! PS2 launch anyone?!! the world has selective amnesia.. show me one machine that has been defect-free when introducing such a host of new features and technologies as apple has with the macbook. new chip, new housing materials, new EVERYTHING.. all new territory for apple. look for dell / hp / any other brand and you'll find plenty of stories, they're just not as sensationalized as apple issues.
if you're that worried about getting a dud, hold out for the next wave, all they'll do is improve. but you have the protection of 7 days of over-the-counter-replacement time + standard 12 month warranty, use it if you have issues with heat/discoloration. if i were you i'd take the risk, the macbooks rock.
Ditto
I got the 1st wave of iMac G5's (PPC) and like 2 mounths after I got it the hole prosseser had to be replaced for overheating I think.
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 07:57 PM

I forget the address but google "exploding powerbook" then go to images and click on the second image
It shows a Dell chatching fire at a showing in Japan
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2006, 08:10 PM

Actually I've seen some pretty viscious attacks on Apple right here. "Why can't Apple make a computer that..." fill in your favorite problem or ability. It gets down right UGLY sometimes. On the other hand, those are the exception. Mostly people come here with problems-and considering Apple's sales volume, not many people complain.

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 08:20 PM

6 months to learn OS X? you've got to be kidding. it isn't the hardware you had a problem with then? how long did it take you to figure out windows? i bet it was longer than 6 months. there are quite a few places on the web to learn about OS X. INCLUDING apple.com. why do you even troll macnn if you don't own a mac? sorry to see you go back to windows. we'll never miss you.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 25, 2006, 08:34 PM

Let's play a hypothetical here. Let's say you do have a problem with your MacBook. Apple will overnight you a box to put the computer in, overnight it to their repair center, fix it quickly, and overnight it back to you. That has been my own experience.

On the other hand, my girlfriend sent the laptop she bought at Best Buy in for repair. Two weeks later she got it back, the original problem wasn't fixed, but now the keyboard and wireless card also didn't work either. It's now been a month since she sent it in and Best Buy has no idea when she'll get it back. Which would you prefer?

IntelMac101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 08:47 PM

My sister and I got notebooks at the same time she got and Acer (cheap crap) I got a iBook 12" G4 (second hand) Her bluetooth didnt work has been sent ot acer 6 times for screen problems wireless problems hard drive. My mac a second hand mac I was skint at the time finaly stoped working for me last week thats a year of no problems on a second hand mac and a year of problems on a brand new pc notebook.

I know have a macbook (white) beefed up better than the black on its way to me i went all out on the thing.

AS for taking 6month to learn MAC OS X WHat were you doing having a month break after an hour i went from good old 8 to tiger while i have a PC in my room i have had for 5 years i constanly fix it i still dont understand much of it at all.
the is a technitician at my college who train on windows started the job never even seeing a mac in life 18 months ago now he owns 2 and understands them better than windows.

I am just sad my Ibook has stoped working its in for repair but they think its the logic board too much for me to pay to have fixed. but i run it with a Korg 25 key contorller a wacom graphite 3 using mainly propeller heads reason rewired with ableton live and logic pro 7. Along with photoshop CS1 Macromedia fireworks and appature.

this is a lot to install all over agian and get my work off the other hard drive.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 08:52 PM

The fanboys in here are really cracking me up. Apple would love to hire you on as salesmen since you all love to toe the Apple line and swear that they never do anything wrong.

Apple has never fumbled the ball as bad as they have with the MooBook family. Tell all of those owners out there with any of the various issues plaguing them that they're just in the minority.

As far as getting a Mac? If you need one, find a PowerPC model as most of the hardware kinks have been ironed out. They're still good for the most basic tasks and you won't have to worry about apps being "universal."

beg-ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 09:36 PM

Ok, but just so you know ASUS isn't Japanese it's Taiwanese.... Unless your point about buying a Japanese brand and your ASUS computer have no connection at all...

Coincidentally ASUS also produces some of the components used in the Macbook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AsusTek

And the not able to get used to OS X sounds like a personal problem to me.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 01:35 AM

Uhm, I bought an OS X book, read it in leisure time, and finished it in a week... If it took you six months to figure out something that is extremely self-explanatory, I think you'd do better with Windows. Have fun figuring out why your computer crashes all the time!

~Dill~

test22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 01:52 AM

it is

IntelMac101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 02:47 AM

Yes Alpha the mac book's are far from perfect but wait till all of the problems are sorted out afterall this is new stuff still new technology always has its set backs BUT thier is only one way to find these set backs and thats wait for people to find them.

My opinion is why buy a top spec windows laptop now i can get a mac that duel boots with windows or i can run it through paraell. I understand people who buy a cheaper windows laptop but not things like the sony viao's and toshiba's

I have just ordered my mac book i hope it doesnt have any problems *touch wood* but if it does you guy will be second to know.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 03:20 AM

Try Microsoft support someday if you want the run around..... After 2 weeks of diagnosing, the answer was, we'll have to escalate this to the next level of support. That was 2 years ago and still no resolution from MS. I would rather get kicked repeatedly in the groin than deal with Microsoft on a support issue.
Actually, getting kicked repeatedly in the groin IS the next level of support.

MS sponcored a study that showed Groin Collision Technique (GCT) was more effective than Linux in reducing customer issues. There's a whitepaper on ther website.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna
6 months to learn OS X? you've got to be kidding. it isn't the hardware you had a problem with then? how long did it take you to figure out windows? i bet it was longer than 6 months. there are quite a few places on the web to learn about OS X. INCLUDING apple.com. why do you even troll macnn if you don't own a mac? sorry to see you go back to windows. we'll never miss you.
GROW UP please!!!

THIS type of mentality is a PRIME EXAMPLE of why so many non-Mac folks think Mac users are arrogant, elitest jerks. If the shoe fits...

Even if he is a troll (I really doubt it) there is no reason to act like a 10 year old. If you don't agree that is fine, but how about not making the rest of the Mac users look bad.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
The fanboys in here are really cracking me up. Apple would love to hire you on as salesmen since you all love to toe the Apple line and swear that they never do anything wrong.

Apple has never fumbled the ball as bad as they have with the MooBook family. Tell all of those owners out there with any of the various issues plaguing them that they're just in the minority.

As far as getting a Mac? If you need one, find a PowerPC model as most of the hardware kinks have been ironed out. They're still good for the most basic tasks and you won't have to worry about apps being "universal."
My Moobook(4 days old) is going back today to the local Apple Store. Luckily the manager there is waving the "restock fee". I will be buying a refurbished 1.67 Powerbook. I figure this will last me for the next 6 months to a year. By then, like you said, all the hardware problems will have been worked out.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2006, 10:06 AM

The fact is that if you are even slightly capable with Windows and have even a tiny bit of available mental power, you can make the transition to OS X smoothly and without much of a hitch. Use Help, read a book or two, or even just poke around and see what happens; learning OS X is easy. If a person takes "6 months trying to learn OS X" and never really gets it, they aren't trying. Whining about not getting it is really lame.

I think OS X is a far superior OS to Windows, mainly because it is built on a solid foundation whereas Windows is built on "backward compatibility" sticks...it seems that Windows is fragile at the worst time.

Strupat
Jul 26, 2006, 10:58 AM

Let's get one thing straight. I know how to use OS X. It is far simpler than Windows. That is partially why I didn't like it.

The reason I didn't like to use it as my personal computer is because I know Windows inside and out, and OS X was a pain in the butt in very fundamental ways.

Until Windows becomes such an unstable piece of junk that I can't make it work (I'm thinking... "Vista" ), I'll be playing with Linux and staying away from OS X.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2006, 11:08 AM

Absolute crap. I've yet to see anything that suggests the MacBook has the problems of something like the 5300, or issues as serious as the logic board problems on the iBook G4. It isn't even close to having issues like those had and has better design than either. I'd say its a very nice product. Great design, nice price, tremendous performance increase. I've yet to see anything that indicates reliability is a particular problem compared to other computers on the market and all those I know with them have laptops that work fine as does mine. There is no way to tell how widespread a problem is by looking at a support forum. None. It is impossible to determine what percentage of owners are having a particular issue. Just because five frustrated people might post with the same problem doesn't mean more than a tiny fraction of buyers are having the same issues. You just don't seek out support forums very often and start threads if your computer is working fine. You also are a lot more likely to get up in arms and bitch about a product that is broken than to go around raving about one that is working.

It'd be like going to a Honda repair shop. You'd see lots of broken cars and hear lots of annoyed people. And it wouldn't mean that a Honda isn't a reliable car. It means you are basing your conclusions on a very flawed sample.

This seems like really bad advice to me. Perhaps you have a slightly smaller chance of being the victim of a hardware problem. That isn't certain but perhaps. Even then you would be trading off a tremendous amount of speed and the use of what will eventually be the most supported chipset. You'd end up with a substantially slower computer. An iBook G4 is essentially outdated for any serious task at this point.

amilgarcia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 12:09 PM

in the last month i have had 2 MacBooks Pro in the apple store i got them from to have (2)optical drives replace, (1)logic board replaced, (2)memory chips replaced.

My G5 had (on June 30th.) the cooling system failed and rined the processor, power supply, and Logic board. to make matters worst, i waited 3 weeks for parts and it could not be fixed. Apple is replacing the G5, but after 1 month of it been in the repair shop.

I have owned many Apple computers over the years, but lately quality is just not there anymore. Iwould not switch to a PC not get me wrong but it is such a shame that Apple has chosen to take this route of degrading it's quality control over customer satisfaction.

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by lamewing
GROW UP please!!!

THIS type of mentality is a PRIME EXAMPLE of why so many non-Mac folks think Mac users are arrogant, elitest jerks. If the shoe fits...

Even if he is a troll (I really doubt it) there is no reason to act like a 10 year old. If you don't agree that is fine, but how about not making the rest of the Mac users look bad.
so why is he complaining about the OS when the thread is about hardware? his post is a waste of all our time. we all entitled to our opinion, its a free board, but to come in and say he's going back to windows because he can't understand OS X in 6 months? this was about hardware for mac. so don't tell me about shoes and trolls.... i would wonder about anyone who returns a windows machine because they can't operate it in 6 months of use, then complains that the operating system is too hard.

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by lamewing
My Moobook(4 days old) is going back today to the local Apple Store. Luckily the manager there is waving the "restock fee". I will be buying a refurbished 1.67 Powerbook. I figure this will last me for the next 6 months to a year. By then, like you said, all the hardware problems will have been worked out.

MOOBOOK?! maybe we could all use some lessons in maturity here.

okoj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 01:08 PM

Let's get one thing straight. I know how to use OS X. It is far simpler than Windows. That is partially why I didn't like it.

The reason I didn't like to use it as my personal computer is because I know Windows inside and out, and OS X was a pain in the butt in very fundamental ways.

Until Windows becomes such an unstable piece of junk that I can't make it work (I'm thinking... "Vista" ), I'll be playing with Linux and staying away from OS X.
Are you sure you know how to use OSX? I don't agree that it's "far simpler" than Windows (or a pain on the butt). I think it's easier to use, yes, but I also think it's a far more intuitive and logical system as well.

Strupat
Jul 26, 2006, 01:50 PM

What do you mean am I sure? That's silly. I didn't like the OS after 6 months of using it.

kahuna seems to think I couldn't figure it out. OS X is designed so anyone can figure it out. The point that didn't get across was that I did not GET USED to OS X after 6 months. I could operate OS X just fine, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Windows is MY cup of tea, just like OS X is yours. Stop this petty Windows VS Mac crap, it's very juvenile.

On a final note, it was simply my two cents to someone thinking of switching to a Mac. I told mac_pc that I tried (and don't say I didn't, I used it for 6 months) OS X and didn't like it. After all, if he really is looking for a fair comparison he doesn't want everyone saying "OMG Windoze sux0rz, get a MacOSX!!!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules