Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > eyeTV with core 2 iMac

eyeTV with core 2 iMac
drewnrupe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 04:57 PM

Hi

Is anyone using EyeTV with the new Core 2 processors, any problems ?

I had an eyeTV 200 on a G4 700 running eyeTV 2.3.1 and it was perfect , never had a problem.

I have now moved this to my new monster iMac 24 and something is messing up. It runs fine for a while ( average half an hour but varies), then suddenly just loses the signal. The only option is to disconnect it exit the software and reconnect the unit and everything is fine - untill you try and record again when the same thing happens.

I dont know if this is just some obscue configuration issue but the setup is very similar , and having spent several hours this weekend trying to get Parallels to run only to discover the new chips required an upgrade from parallels I am wondering if this could be a similar issue.

Any Ideas ? I am getting frustrated !!!

I ran the Mac as a second machine for about a year before deciding to convert my main machine , i have now had to reset this machine (which ROCKS when it is working) more times than I EVER did the G4 - what with parallels needing an update, CIsco VPN screwing EVERYTHING in sight up ( thats now removed) and now my EYETV not working - very frustrating having convinced myself that the cost of the Mac was totally made up for by the fact that "it just works" .......

Thanks

Drew

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2006, 12:05 PM

Have you contacted Elgato's support team? They really are quite good at getting back about issues. This definitely sounds like something to query them about.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 01:19 PM

FWIW, the demo unit at the store works perfectly fine all day, every day.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2006, 02:15 PM

The demo 24" iMac alone, or is it hooked up to an EyeTV 200? Drew, you're saying that the EyeTV200 loses a signal after recording for 30 minutes or so? Does the recording itself stop early, or does it say that it's recorded an entire 60 minutes (or however long your show is) but playback just gives a black screen after a certain point? Does the EyeTV software crash? Any other errors?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 07:43 PM

It's hooked up to the Miglia TVmini usb stick.

sorry, misse dthe bit about the eyeTV 200.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2006, 10:13 AM

No prob. I'd expect a firewire device to be less problematic, but that's just my expectation. I have an EyeTV500 but don't have a computer fast enough to decode on the fly, so I can't comment on continual use. My recording issues, as far as I can determine, are related to signal quality. Maybe that's something to double-check.

jsurpless
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 10:55 PM

I have recently started noticing this on my Mac Pro... it's very odd because I have had it for nearly two months and it only started about 2 1/2 weeks ago... for me, it seems to also happen when it goes to sleep and then wakes up... it finds no signal on wake... seems to be happening all of a sudden when connected to my monitor's firewire ports; doesn't seem to happen when connected directly to the Pro...

I'm talking with ElGato on this... AND my ever-persistent sleeping issues...

Originally Posted by drewnrupe View Post
Hi

Is anyone using EyeTV with the new Core 2 processors, any problems ?

I had an eyeTV 200 on a G4 700 running eyeTV 2.3.1 and it was perfect , never had a problem.

I have now moved this to my new monster iMac 24 and something is messing up. It runs fine for a while ( average half an hour but varies), then suddenly just loses the signal. The only option is to disconnect it exit the software and reconnect the unit and everything is fine - untill you try and record again when the same thing happens.

I dont know if this is just some obscue configuration issue but the setup is very similar , and having spent several hours this weekend trying to get Parallels to run only to discover the new chips required an upgrade from parallels I am wondering if this could be a similar issue.

Any Ideas ? I am getting frustrated !!!

I ran the Mac as a second machine for about a year before deciding to convert my main machine , i have now had to reset this machine (which ROCKS when it is working) more times than I EVER did the G4 - what with parallels needing an update, CIsco VPN screwing EVERYTHING in sight up ( thats now removed) and now my EYETV not working - very frustrating having convinced myself that the cost of the Mac was totally made up for by the fact that "it just works" .......

Thanks

Drew

Forum Links
Forum Rules