Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How common is scratched surface on new mini?

How common is scratched surface on new mini?
vandelay
Jul 31, 2007, 07:58 AM

After giving up hope of a revised Mac mini any time soon and finally wanting to have a permanent setup with my EyeTV 310, i ordered one last week at Amazon.de. After receiving it, i noticed some small scratches / smudges on the top and sent it back.
I got the replacement unit today and it's pretty much the same problem. Is this "normal" and to be expected?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 08:30 AM

Are they very fine swirly types of scratches?
I think the material on top of the Mini is the same as the Macbooks and iBooks, that material obtains scratches very easily.

vandelay  (op)
Jul 31, 2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Are they very fine swirly types of scratches?
I think the material on top of the Mini is the same as the Macbooks and iBooks, that material obtains scratches very easily.
Yes, mostly they are like that and i know, that this material scratches easily, i just didn't expect it to have scratches right out of the original packaging. Anyway, since i'm not too obsessive about stuff like that, i phoned Amazon and they'll give me 10% off the price, which is something i can live with. I was just interested to hear from other Mini owners, if this is a common occurrence.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 09:22 AM

Well I've read about iMacs having them too straight out of the box.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 12:48 PM

My girlfriend had her MacBook pro less than 24 hours before a major scratch appeared on the bottom.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Is this "normal" and to be expected?
Hallo,

Bought one at MediaMarkt same problem
College bought 3 minis at same place same problem
Tried to remove the scratches with water but remain there, or even scratched more
Scratches have somehow circular form and may have being produced with the protective translucent plastic
I advice you to enjoy and regard your mini as heavy duty computer and not to worry about it
Mac minis are a great computers, i hope they remain on the market

Best Regards
PS: In case you need it, for more information on the mini Mac mini Forum • Home

vandelay  (op)
Aug 2, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
Hallo,

Bought one at MediaMarkt same problem
College bought 3 minis at same place same problem
Tried to remove the scratches with water but remain there, or even scratched more
Scratches have somehow circular form and may have being produced with the protective translucent plastic
I advice you to enjoy and regard your mini as heavy duty computer and not to worry about it
Mac minis are a great computers, i hope they remain on the market

Best Regards
PS: In case you need it, for more information on the mini Mac mini Forum • Home
Thanks for the reply, that seems to confirm what i thought, that this wasn't just bad luck both times. But, as i said before, i gave up obsessing over things like that a while ago, and am content with the 10% price reduction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules