Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What's the deal with Pope Francis?

What's the deal with Pope Francis? (Page 17)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2017, 12:24 PM

Pope suggests 'better to be atheist than hypocritical Catholic' | Reuters

The question is, does this mean atheists ain't that bad or hypocritical Catholics are really bad

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 23, 2017, 12:30 PM

Revelation 3 comes to mind.

15“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

The question is, does this mean atheists ain't that bad or hypocritical Catholics are really bad
I'd vote for hypocritical Catholics being really bad. Twisting God's word sounds worse to me than ignoring it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Last time I was in Rome, our Colesseum tour guide tried to pimp their Vatican tour.

She had to note, since JPII was sick, they couldn't offer an audience with him, which was part of their standard Vatican package.

I'd say a papal audience is pretty meaningless.
Or your tour guide is full of BS?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Or your tour guide is full of BS?
If she was, I hope she went to confession afterwards.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Revelation 3 comes to mind.
nice shirt.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 04:28 AM

My new metal band is named "God Vomit".

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

From EWTN "Church Pop"
https://churchpop.com/2017/02/23/no-...-bad-catholic/
Don’t believe the headlines!

Have you heard the news that Pope Francis preached it was better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic? It’s in the headlines from Reuters, CNN, The Guardian, and many others.

There’s only one problem: that is not what he said. They’re all wrong.

From Vatican Radio itself, here is what Pope Francis actually said, in context:

“But what is scandal? Scandal is saying one thing and doing another; it is a double life, a double life. A totally double life: ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this association and that one; but my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my workers a just wage, I exploit people, I am dirty in my business, I launder money…’ A double life. And so many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others.

“How many times have we heard – all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere – ‘but to be a Catholic like that, it’s better to be an atheist.’ It is that, scandal. You destroy. You beat down. And this happens every day, it’s enough to see the news on TV, or to read the papers. In the papers there are so many scandals, and there is also the great publicity of the scandals. And with the scandals there is destruction.”

You see that he is not saying that it’s better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic. Rather, he is saying that this is something other people say when confronted with hypocritical Catholics.

In Catholic theology, “scandal” is any sin that hurts another person spiritually. The pontiff is saying that when Catholics are hypocrites, it causes scandal, and makes people think they shouldn’t be Catholic (which is bad for them spiritually).

This is of course true and is a completely uncontroversial thing to point out.

Now that you know what the Holy Father really said: Don’t be a hypocrite! Live your faith!
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 24, 2017, 11:01 AM

Reuters provided the quote in context but with a clickbait headline.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2017, 11:22 AM

He gave Trump a copy of his climate change writings.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2017, 11:27 AM

My political cartoon for today is them walking away from one another, each with the thought bubble "god, I'm glad to be done with that asshole".

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2017, 03:10 PM

I know it's late to the party, but the more I look at this the more I realize the only appropriate place for it would be in a Fellini film.

andi*pandi
Jun 20, 2017, 04:10 PM

That turned into a meme which... got out of hand.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2017, 10:05 PM

It doesn't really need more.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2017, 10:33 PM

Oh jesus, David S. Pumpkins

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2017, 11:14 PM

I like the subtler choices, like Lurch, and the guy from Ghostbusters II.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 08:35 PM

This was an interesting read, though I admit a lot of it was over my head. It's an indictment of the american evangelical right.
https://laciviltacattolica.com/june-...ing-ecumenism/

The term “evangelical fundamentalist” can today be assimilated to the “evangelical right” or “theoconservatism” and has its origins in the years 1910-1915. In that period a South Californian millionaire, Lyman Stewart, published the 12-volume work The Fundamentals. The author wanted to respond to the threat of modernist ideas of the time. He summarized the thought of authors whose doctrinal support he appreciated. He exemplified the moral, social, collective and individual aspects of the evangelical faith. His admirers include many politicians and even two recent presidents: Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.

The social-religious groups inspired by authors such as Stewart consider the United States to be a nation blessed by God. And they do not hesitate to base the economic growth of the country on a literal adherence to the Bible. Over more recent years this current of thought has been fed by the stigmatization of enemies who are often “demonized.”

The panorama of threats to their understanding of the American way of life have included modernist spirits, the black civil rights movement, the hippy movement, communism, feminist movements and so on. And now in our day there are the migrants and the Muslims. To maintain conflict levels, their biblical exegeses have evolved toward a decontextualized reading of the Old Testament texts about the conquering and defense of the “promised land,” rather than be guided by the incisive look, full of love, of Jesus in the Gospels.
---

There is a sort of “anesthetic” with regard to ecological disasters and problems generated by climate change. They profess “dominionism” and consider ecologists as people who are against the Christian faith.
---

“The first thing we have to do is give a voice to our Churches,” some say. The real meaning of this type of expression is the desire for some influence in the political and parliamentary sphere and in the juridical and educational areas so that public norms can be subjected to religious morals.

Rushdoony’s doctrine maintains a theocratic necessity: submit the state to the Bible with a logic that is no different from the one that inspires Islamic fundamentalism. At heart, the narrative of terror shapes the world-views of jihadists and the new crusaders and is imbibed from wells that are not too far apart.
---

Appealing to the values of fundamentalism, a strange form of surprising ecumenism is developing between Evangelical fundamentalists and Catholic Integralists brought together by the same desire for religious influence in the political sphere.

Some who profess themselves to be Catholic express themselves in ways that until recently were unknown in their tradition and using tones much closer to Evangelicals. They are defined as value voters as far as attracting electoral mass support is concerned. There is a well-defined world of ecumenical convergence between sectors that are paradoxically competitors when it comes to confessional belonging. This meeting over shared objectives happens around such themes as abortion, same-sex marriage, religious education in schools and other matters generally considered moral or tied to values. Both Evangelical and Catholic Integralists condemn traditional ecumenism and yet promote an ecumenism of conflict that unites them in the nostalgic dream of a theocratic type of state.
---

Clearly there is an enormous difference between these concepts and the ecumenism employed by Pope Francis with various Christian bodies and other religious confessions. His is an ecumenism that moves under the urge of inclusion, peace, encounter and bridges. This presence of opposing ecumenisms – and their contrasting perceptions of the faith and visions of the world where religions have irreconcilable roles – is perhaps the least known and most dramatic aspect of the spread of Integralist fundamentalism. Here we can understand why the pontiff is so committed to working against “walls” and any kind of “war of religion.”
---

Religions cannot consider some people as sworn enemies nor others as eternal friends. Religion should not become the guarantor of the dominant classes. Yet it is this very dynamic with a spurious theological flavor that tries to impose its own law and logic in the political sphere.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2017, 11:30 PM

Nobody? Chongo? subego?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2017, 12:36 AM

Well, let's call out the elephant in the room.

The only reason the non-Catholic brands of Christianity exist are as an explicit rejection of some ****o in the Vatican calling the shots.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2017, 03:33 AM

^^ To use a modern term, that stems from the Vatican no-platforming important voices, who represented >half of Christendom, at a very early time for the church.

"We're going to have a very tough time getting some of the things we want."
"Especially divine preeminence."
"Hey, why don't we just not invite them? I mean, they're just Oriental hillbillies and Gnostic apologists."
"Yeah, we'll say their invitations were lost in the mail."
"Brilliant!"
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2018, 11:12 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2018, 09:27 PM

So, uh, Francis appears to be having a rough week. Looks like the flames are being fanned by idealogical opponents.

Forum Links
Forum Rules