Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Natural Selection at work...Pit Bull Puppy Chewed Off Baby's Toes While Parents Slept

Natural Selection at work...Pit Bull Puppy Chewed Off Baby's Toes While Parents Slept
IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 12:51 PM

Louisiana Police: Pit Bull Puppy Chewed Off Baby's Toes While Parents Slept

Tuesday , December 12, 2006

BOSSIER CITY, La. — A pit bull puppy chewed off four of a baby girl's toes while the child's parents slept, police here said Monday. The parents were booked on charges of child desertion and criminal negligence and were being held in the Bossier Parish Jail pending an initial court appearance.

Police said the parents were sleeping on a mattress in the living room of their residence and the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the puppy began chewing on their baby's toes.

Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, told police they woke up to the sound of the baby crying, found her mangled foot and took her to the hospital about 8:30 a.m. Sunday.

"They did not see the dog injuring the child," police spokesman Mark Natale said.

The girl underwent surgery Sunday at Sutton's Children's Hospital in Shreveport. There was no way to reattach the child's toes, Natale said Monday.

The puppy was 6 weeks old and had no record of receiving its shots and will be quarantined for 10 days to check for rabies. Natale said he did not know what the puppy's fate would be after that.

"The puppy itself was just several weeks old! I mean this was essentially a puppy," Natale said.

"This puppy might have been trying to nurse on the toes of this baby," veterinarian Michael Dale speculated. "I know that sounds a little far fetched, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind."

Teresa Miller, who sold the puppy to the Hansches, was skeptical the dog did it. "He didn't chew on anything while he was with me. Out of all of them (in the litter), he was the least chewy."

Another veterinarian, Dr. Valri Brown, said if the puppy chewed off the infant's toes, it would not have happened quickly. "It would have to be a period of time — maybe at least an hour," she said.

Meanwhile, the puppy's been quarantined at Bossier City's animal control office for the next 10 days to check for rabies. Natale said he did not know what the puppy's fate would be after that.

When she is released from the hospital, the child will be placed in a foster home until the case against her parents is settled, officials said.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...236001,00.html

...natural selection at work in my opinion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 12:54 PM

-t

IceBreaker  (op)
Mac Enthusiast

the puppy in question:

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
BOSSIER CITY, La.
I'm not surprised considering the guy on the forums from there.

IceBreaker  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 12:55 PM

if ever a breed of dog should just be outright banned, pitbulls are it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Dude, WTF ?

-t

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 12:58 PM

AHHHHH!

Saw that on the local news last night. This is how I'm going to be remembered in the forums from now on......

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:01 PM

Almost forgot...

My wife and I were speculating on what happened. Some vet was interviewed and decided it was probably the dog trying to breastfeed. He said, "I know that sounds crazy! However, it's actually not only possible, but quite likely."

Seems kind of like when a surfer whose leg was ripped off by a great white shark sits next to a marine biologist and they both readily agree that the shark wasn't actually trying to attack the surfer, but it was a "curiosity bite."

THE BREED OF DOG IS AGGRESSIVE AND THE PUPPY ATE THE KID'S TOES! Case closed.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Dec 12, 2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 01:03 PM

The parents were booked on charges of child desertion and criminal negligence and were being held in the Bossier Parish Jail pending an initial court appearance.

Police said the parents were sleeping on a mattress in the living room of their residence and the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the puppy began chewing on their baby's toes.
WTF? How the hell can they be accused of "desertion"?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Almost forgot...

My wife and I were speculating on what happened. Some vet was interviewed and decided it was probably the dog trying to breastfeed. He said, "I know that sounds crazy! However, it's actually not only possible, but quite likely."

Seems kind of like when a surfer whose leg was ripped off by a great white shark sits next to a marine biologist and they both readily agree that the shark wasn't actually trying to attack the surfer, but it was a "curiosity bite."

THE BREED OF DOG IS AGGRESSIVE AND THE PUPPY AT THE KID'S TOES! Case solved.
Pitbulls are aggressive, but from the description, it seems clear that it wasn't trying to attack the baby. It only got the toes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Dude, WTF ?

-t
Oh come on, 75% of my posts are sarcastic or jokes. He knew what I meant.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
The desertion part is ridiculous. People feel that they MUST place blame somewhere.

Sure, it's a pit bull. Sure, they're aggressive. But this dog was only 6 WEEKS OLD! No one expects a little puppy like that to do such a thing.

The dog obviously wasn't attacking the child. Every puppy likes to gnaw a bit. I'm sure he didn't know exactly what he was doing.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:10 PM

AHHHHH!

Saw that on the local news last night. This is how I'm going to be remembered in the forums from now on......

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:10 PM

Oh come on, 75% of posts are sarcastic. He knew what I meant.
Agreed. I got a chuckle out of it.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:11 PM

And I got something to make fun of you with. Everybody wins!

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:16 PM

Good God this has NOTHING to do with the breed of dog. This was a freak thing that any puppy of any breed could have done.

If this were any other breed it would have read: "Puppy Chewed Off Baby's Toes While Parents Slept"

Now the puppy will probably be put to sleep for the crime of being a puppy.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:16 PM

Bull. Pitbulls are great dogs. Friendly, loyal, all that good stuff. If this had been a cocker spaniel, would you be calling for that breed to be banned?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:18 PM

And I got something to make fun of you with. Everybody wins!
Except Bossier City.

Pictures of my home...

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:20 PM

The only Pit Bull related law I would support is an IQ test for ownership. I don't know who is more ignorant, Pit Bull owner or the people cry out: "BAN THEM, BAN THEM" every time they see story about them.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:20 PM

When did you guys get electricity?

(You can tell me to let up at any time)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:24 PM

When did you guys get electricity?

(You can tell me to let up at any time)
Come on, dude. I'm not that sensitive. I pick on Louisiana all the time.

Believe it or not, there is talk of the Boardwalk (second picture) getting an Apple Store. The Shreveport/Bossier City area is about 400,000 people, but services much of East Texas, Soutwest Arkansas, and most of Northern LA, so it could be a hub for Apple users in a pretty wide radius.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:24 PM

That's why I have a toy poodle.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:25 PM

Come on, dude. I'm not that sensitive. I pick on Louisiana all the time.
Yes, but after a while it gets boring or unfunny. [/jus'sayin']

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
That's why I have a toy poodle.
Toy poodles with beards =

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 01:30 PM

Oh come on, 75% of my posts are sarcastic or jokes. He knew what I meant.
Well, you should be glad that I'm not from Bossier City, because I didn't get it

-t

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie

Yes, but after a while it gets boring or unfunny. [/jus'sayin']
To this day, my tight circle of friends picks on me about something that happened over a decade ago. I've heard the same jokes for years, especially two that involve Star Wars and "credits for video games."

IceBreaker  (op)
Mac Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
The only Pit Bull related law I would support is an IQ test for ownership. I don't know who is more ignorant, Pit Bull owner or the people cry out: "BAN THEM, BAN THEM" every time they see story about them.

don't see many stories of poodles attacking and killing people.

yes I imagine all the pit bull owners are upset at the thought of their little "prescious" being banned but it seems they are the ones that end up getting killed.

pit bull kills owner - Google Search

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Well, you should be glad that I'm not from Bossier City, because I didn't get it

-t
Actually, you should be glad you're not from Bossier City.

POW!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:34 PM

What's funny about this story is that I saw two guys sitting in front of a busy shopping center this morning trying to sell pit pull puppies. They didn't seem to be getting a lot of attention. I imagine that local demand is going to lessen for a while.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:35 PM

Actually, you should be glad you're not from Bossier City.

POW!
*shot dead *

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:36 PM

*shot dead *
That was a fist punch on my part.

...have you been hanging out with Dick Cheney again?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:47 PM

That was a fist punch on my part.

...have you been hanging out with Dick Cheney again?
Not exactly, but this guy has been hanging out in my office lately...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 02:55 PM

don't see many stories of poodles attacking and killing people.

yes I imagine all the pit bull owners are upset at the thought of their little "prescious" being banned but it seems they are the ones that end up getting killed.

pit bull kills owner - Google Search

You don't see many poodles being trained to attack and kill humans either.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 02:58 PM

Not exactly, but this guy has been hanging out in my office lately...

I'm sorry.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 03:32 PM

The only reason this got into the news is because it happened to be a pit bull.

This sort of thing happens depressingly often, and most of the time put bulls or other so-called "dangerous breeds" aren't involved at all. This is what happens when parents leave a baby alone with an animal. It happens with dogs and cats of all breeds. This is why you shouldn't leave babies and animals unsupervised together.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 03:36 PM

This is a tragedy without question. But charging the parents in this instance seems unwarranted. I just don't see anything negligent in their actions. Despite the reputation of pit bulls, apparently it is not illegal to own them and more importantly, this is a 6 week old puppy we are talking about here!

OAW

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 03:46 PM

I don't know every single detail concerning the incident, but obviously the parents were only a few feet from the baby while its toes were being gnawed off. I would think that the baby would begin screaming at the first sign of pain. I think everyone who has heard a child crying knows the difference between whining and genuine pain.

The parents said they were asleep with the baby in a car seat on the floor right beside them. How could they have slept through that? Did they ignore the baby's cries, thinking it was just more of the same? This has been bothering me a bit.

To be honest, I've seen the pictures of the parents, and they seem like the type that would be very negligent. An investigation is certainly in order, but charging them without proof of any wrongdoing would be foolhardy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 03:50 PM

WHOA!!! Didn't read the FOX News article because I didn't know it was different from the news report I saw last night..

"This puppy might have been trying to nurse on the toes of this baby," veterinarian Michael Dale speculated. "I know that sounds a little far fetched, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind."

Teresa Miller, who sold the puppy to the Hansches, was skeptical the dog did it. "He didn't chew on anything while he was with me. Out of all of them (in the litter), he was the least chewy."

Another veterinarian, Dr. Valri Brown, said if the puppy chewed off the infant's toes, it would not have happened quickly. "It would have to be a period of time — maybe at least an hour," she said.
An hour? The child was lying right beside them and was having its toes ripped off, possibly for as long as an hour? More suspicion.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The only reason this got into the news is because it happened to be a pit bull.

This sort of thing happens depressingly often, and most of the time put bulls or other so-called "dangerous breeds" aren't involved at all. This is what happens when parents leave a baby alone with an animal. It happens with dogs and cats of all breeds. This is why you shouldn't leave babies and animals unsupervised together.
Exactly. But it doesn't sell papers when your headline is 'Irresponsible parents inadvertently injure their child through the blameless agency of a puppy'.

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2006, 04:12 PM

An hour? The child was lying right beside them and was having its toes ripped off, possibly for as long as an hour? More suspicion.
theory: they weren't sleeping on the bed, but passed out from drugs or alcohol, and thus didn't wake up fast enough.

I used to be up out of bed the second I heard a cry from the nursery.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
theory: they weren't sleeping on the bed, but passed out from drugs or alcohol, and thus didn't wake up fast enough.

That was my first guess too.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 04:18 PM

I'm assuming the way the article was written reflects what happened for the purposes of my comment above. Of course, things may not have gone down that way but it's what I have to go on for now. Having said that, the article gives the impression that the child was next to the parents and everyone was asleep. The dog bit off the baby's toes. Baby starts crying. Parents wake up and see the damage after the fact. Parents take baby to hospital. All in all ... it sounds like an accident.

Now if, in fact, the dog was munching on the kid's toes for some period of time and the parents didn't realize it because they were drunk, high, or whatever ... then that's a totally different situation altogether.

OAW

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2006, 04:19 PM

I am not sure if I had a newborn baby, I would be getting a pitbull puppy. Or any dog that wasn't trained.

I wonder if they had a bunch of cats too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

Exactly. And if you saw their pictures, you'd understand why that theory has even more merit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
...the article gives the impression that the child was next to the parents and everyone was asleep. The dog bit off the baby's toes. Baby starts crying. Parents wake up and see the damage after the fact. Parents take baby to hospital. All in all ... it sounds like an accident.
That's the problem. According to one of the vets, it took a while to get that bad--as long as an hour. Four toes aren't gnawed off in 10 seconds.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 04:30 PM

That's the problem. According to one of the vets, it took a while to get that bad--as long as an hour. Four toes aren't gnawed off in 10 seconds.
Well if that is the case then they need to be thrown under the jail! When my son was a baby he woke up screaming one night and I was out of the bed and in his room within seconds. Caught a nasty case of turf toe from pushing off too hard on the floor as well. Turns out it was only a bad dream, but the point is that a responsible parent will immediately check on a screaming child. I can't imagine how a baby getting it's toes chewed off wouldn't be screaming at the top if its lungs.

OAW

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2006, 05:34 PM

Ummm...NO. Leaving a six week old puppy unsupervised is like leaving a human baby alone surrounded by things she could hurt herself with (in fact it could be that that's what happened). Dogs chew-it's part of their makeup. ALL DOGS CHEW.

Now, let's think about how babies communicate. They cry, right? There are different cries for different things from boredom to hunger to pain. Ever heard a baby's "I'm in pain" cry? It "will decalcify your whole spinal column, " to quote Bill Cosby. There's no way any human could sleep through that unless they were somehow impaired.

And to have a puppy (that really IS a very small dog) do that much damage cannot have happened in just a short time-if the puppy did it, it probably took a LONG time. Which is why I don't think that's what really happened; as soon as the puppy nipped, the baby would have reflexively kicked and screamed, and that would have "discouraged" the puppy.

My thought is that they're blaming the puppy for something they did or let happen.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
See my above post. If you're next to a baby that lets out a "pain" cry and you don't wake up, you've checked out somehow. And "desertion" can take that into account-being too drugged up to hear a baby cry is just as bad as being in a different city.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 05:40 PM

I'm more puzzled why the parents slept on a mattress in the living room with the baby beside them in a seat.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2006, 05:52 PM

no bed, no crib?

Some babies sleep better in their carseat also, the upright position helps with gas and spitup problems. I know many parents with perfectly serviceable cribs that let their babies sleep in the carseat for a) peace, b) transition while they do other things, etc. You can't let it become a habit however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules