Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard Drive problems - help!

Hard Drive problems - help!
Aviah Morag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 07:37 AM

Hi,

I have a Rev/B iBook (not that that matters), OS 9.1, with no easy way of backing up my Hard Disk. Recently the disk began giving me trouble, and Disk First Aid (both booting up from the HD and starting with a CD) announces that there are 'problems it cannot repair'. The computer is usable, but any dealings with certain files (including putting them in the trash and emptying the trash) cause the Finder to quit and the computer to generally crash.

Is there ANY software solution to this? I really don't want to have to lose everything on my drive.

iDesert
Kiryat Ono, Israel

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Aviah Morag:
Hi,

I have a Rev/B iBook (not that that matters), OS 9.1, with no easy way of backing up my Hard Disk. Recently the disk began giving me trouble, and Disk First Aid (both booting up from the HD and starting with a CD) announces that there are 'problems it cannot repair'. The computer is usable, but any dealings with certain files (including putting them in the trash and emptying the trash) cause the Finder to quit and the computer to generally crash.

Is there ANY software solution to this? I really don't want to have to lose everything on my drive.

iDesert
Kiryat Ono, Israel
Well if you have Apple Care backup your files to a PC or a firewire harddrive and send it back. If not and your sure that it's the Harddrive on your iBook you can try buying a new harddrive for your iBook and installing it your self or if you know of a local Authorized Apple dealer have them install it for your

Aviah Morag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 11:40 AM

But it's not a hardware problem! Disk Repair names the problem (something involving the BTree), yet doesn't know how to repair it. I'm looking for a disk repair utility that knows how to deal with things like this. Any suggestions?

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Aviah Morag:
But it's not a hardware problem! Disk Repair names the problem (something involving the BTree), yet doesn't know how to repair it. I'm looking for a disk repair utility that knows how to deal with things like this. Any suggestions?
You can try Micromat Drive 10 - 1.1.2 I heard it can work wonders, I've never had to use it myself because I've never come across any software related drive problems. Heres the link to their page...
Drive 10 you might want to read some of the reviews on versiontracker first, http://www.versiontracker.com do a search for drive 10

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2002, 04:15 PM

Isn't Drive 10 an OS X disk utility? It may work with earlier OS versions so don't quote me on this...

If I understand the error message you are receiving you can use either Norton Systemworks or TechToolPro to fix the problem. If it is what I think it is (damage to the Catalog B Tree...) this is a relatively minor problem that can be easily fixed with a software utility; as far as I know it is not an indication that your hard drive is having mechanical problems.

In the future when you get an error message or diagnosis from a utility be sure to write it down so that it is easier to pin-down the problem and offer a possible fix. Keeping a written log of what you do/install and problems that occur can make problem-solving sooo much easier whether or not you ask for help on a forum. Just keeping a record of the software you install can make very quick work of fixing something when you trace the beginning of a problem to a time AFTER you installed an update or brand new program.

Versions of Norton Systemworks that will work with OS 9.1 are available for under ten dollars; I have recently seen it advertised but I cannot recall the specific vendor. Try Other World Computing and SmallDog or an Internet search if you don't turn up something at those websites.

Voila! I remembered where I saw it: http://eshop.macsales.com/AddToBaske...SYM072600421BQ Only $9!

This is a good example of the limits of Disk First Aid. Mac users should seriously consider a third-party utility for times when this very common problem rears its Ugly Little Head. Either Norton or TTP will fix this kind of problem; I prefer having both on hand because they have different capabilities.

DiskWarrior is a must for fixing directory problems; it resurrected an old drive in a friend's 6100 that could not be fixed by other utilities...Let me tell you, that was the sickest drive I have ever seen! It gave every indication of having terminal mechanical failure but I believe that it is still chugging along today, some two+ years after its brush with Death.
( Last edited by Mojo; Oct 13, 2002 at 04:24 PM. )

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2002, 09:12 PM

A couple of things I thought of after my original response...

You can try booting from your system software CD and running DFA from that, since repairing the Catalog B Tree may not be possible when trying to fix the active system folder; booting from another partition may also work, if you have one available. This may be the reason DFA was unable to fix your problem.

Also-make sure that the Norton Systemworks CD or any other utility you get will boot your particular iBook or Mac. This can be an issue with either relatively old Macs or recently released Macs. Many repairs cannot be completed without booting from the utility CD and then running the utility from the CD.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2002, 02:18 PM

How about an update on your problem? Did you fix it and what finally did the trick?

Aviah Morag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2002, 03:53 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Since I'm not in the US, I'm waiting to get a hold of Norton SystemWorks, which FexEd will be so kind as to ship me for a mere $33.50. Such a problem, living in the Middle East is! Meanwhile, I've isolated the affected files, so I can do everything except empty the trash, which hangs the system.

iDesert

Aviah Morag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2002, 06:19 AM

Hi everyone,

Got a hold of Norton SystemWorks 6. After testing the drive, I found that there were a number of files that were so corrupt that they managed to cause major problems with the file system. After attempting to repair them, the problem is now much more isolated - there are a few files that I can't get rid of (the Trash refuses to delete them), that are reported as taking up about 46000 mb each, but other than this, there are no problems - no crashes, etc. While this is usable for now, should I concluded that reformatting the disk is the only way out of this?

Aviah
(iDesert)

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 01:19 PM

i would also recommend getting DiskWarrior 2.1 or higher and/or Norton SystemWorks 2.0. If you can, reinatall the OS. That should clear up your problems.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2002, 03:14 PM

Aviah, check out this thread at TechSurvivors for various options regarding trashing those files: http://www.techsurvivors.net/cgi-bin...c;f=1;t=008971

And let us know what works for you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules