Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dock icons don't disappear after quit?

Dock icons don't disappear after quit?
Aviah Morag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 09:27 AM

I've noticed that sometimes, upon quitting an application, the dock icon remains, with the little arrow under it. Only a full restart gets rid of them. What's up with that?

Aviah
Kibbutz Ma'ale Gilboa, Israel

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2001, 09:30 AM

What applications *specifically* do that? the only time I've seen something like that is from running certain Microsoft plograms in Classic.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

mineralomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 09:35 AM

I've also seen this. You don't have to restart though. Just force-quit the dock using the process viewer application and it sorts itself out.

Cheers

Rich

------------------
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2001, 09:39 AM

If the little arrow is still under the icon, the program hasn't quit, for one reason or another--that's why the icon is still there. If there's no arrow, just drag the icon out of the dock, and it will disappear if a puff of smoke(occastionally, pieces of the puff remain-logging out and back in is the easiest way to make the remnants disappear.

griffman
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 11:56 AM

I noticed in the Public Beta that if you did something to a dock icon (moved it even a little tiny bit, or slid it around to put it somewhere you wanted it) it set the "Keep in Dock" bit. If this is true in the final (I haven't tested it), then you'll have to manually drag it out of the dock. Next time you launch the program, don't touch the icon in the dock, quit the app, and it should vanish.

-rob.

------------------
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

Metareye
Apr 25, 2001, 12:16 PM

This has happened to me also. I would quit the application and the icon and arrow would remain. Nothing short of logging out would fix it. This has happend to both classic and carbon apps. Doesn't happen too often but appears to be random.

Forum Links
Forum Rules