Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook logic board replacement--deletes HD contents?

iBook logic board replacement--deletes HD contents?
Shanachie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 10:30 PM

The screen on my 14" iBook went blank recently and a visit to the Apple store confirmed the logic board needs to be replaced. I was told that everything on hard disk would be lost when this is done, but that they could transfer the data off my machine for a charge. BUT they said that applications and music files (of which I have 7GB!) could NOT be taken off my hard drive, since they are copyrighted material.

A couple of questions--
* Does the logic board repair really wipe out HD contents? Does it definitely happen, or were they just giving me a worst-case scenario? (it sounded definite to me)
* Is it just Apple that has the issue with not backing up apps/music/etc. files? I'd think that other Mac repair shops would just take all the contents off your HD, no matter what it is.

I'm trying to find a friend with a big enough Mac HD so that I can do a target backup or whatever it's called; if I can, I'll try to get my iBook back from Apple...

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2005, 11:03 PM

Better Safe Than Sorry- Apple makes no guarantee regarding your data.

If you don't already have back-ups of your important data, this may be the time to get an external drive so you can make a bootable clone of your iBook drive, or just make backing-up more convenient. You wouldn't want to lose all that music, etc. even if it wasn't going back to Apple, would you???

Circuit City has been having some good deals on bare drives and is currently featuring an external Seagate drive for a good price. Or maybe a small portable drive is more your style?

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:59 AM

Logic board replacement does NOT erase the harddisk. Do a backup just in case something goes wrong. Whoever told you logic board replacement wipe out the harddisk shouldn't work at an Apple store.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2005, 04:03 AM

But when they replace your logic board, there's some sort of a patch or update that they install before installing OS X on it.

Can't really remember what's it called.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2005, 08:39 AM

They make no gaurantee on your data. Usually it comes back formatted. That's what every Apple Store rep has told me. Like MoJo said, better safe than sorry. You can either do it yourself, or apple can do it for you, for a fee.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 11:08 AM

It's BS ! I just got my logic board replaced in my G3 iBook, not from Apple but from a third party authroized dealer. Nothing should happen to your HD. Whoever told you that is a moron.

Btw, if your logic board is toast, afaik, there is NO way you can make a backup yourself.
It might be that this Apple rep. is just trying to make an add-on sale. You should NOT agree to this and ask to be transfered to a supervisor and ask WTF is going on.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mpancha
They make no gaurantee on your data. Usually it comes back formatted. That's what every Apple Store rep has told me. Like MoJo said, better safe than sorry. You can either do it yourself, or apple can do it for you, for a fee.
Is that board replacment under Apple's warranty ?

I'd ask Apple to make SURE that the HD format is NOT done. I know, it's a risk. But this is BS. An HD format is NOT necessary at all. 'm having a hard time believing that this would be a standard procedure with a logic board replacement. Again, talk to Apple, and talk to a supervisor.

-t

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Is that board replacment under Apple's warranty ?

I'd ask Apple to make SURE that the HD format is NOT done. I know, it's a risk. But this is BS. An HD format is NOT necessary at all. 'm having a hard time believing that this would be a standard procedure with a logic board replacement. Again, talk to Apple, and talk to a supervisor.

-t
I already did mine, and it worked out quite well for me. they fixed it, DHL'ed it back, DHL lost it, and apple gave me a new fully loaded G4 iBook to replace my 600mhz G3 ... so I can't really complain.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha
so I can't really complain.
DHL lost your iBook ? Did you have a backup of your data ?
Otherwise, I'd complain...

-t

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 01:51 PM

The bottom-line of this issue is this: regular back-ups are a necessity, not an option. If the person who began this thread had done regular back-ups of his/her data there would be nothing to talk about... I recommend SuperDuper! for its ability to produce clones, its Tiger compatibility and the responsiveness of the developer to e-mail questions and feature requests. SuperDuper! can now be set up for automatic back-ups via AppleScripting and iCal, and a built-in scheduler is promised with the next major revision.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 02:03 PM

SuperDuper Seconded !
It leaves (the under Tiger non-working) CCC in the dust...

-t

Shanachie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo
If the person who began this thread had done regular back-ups of his/her data there would be nothing to talk about...
True, true... Though it now seems like the "Genius" I talked to at the Apple Store indeed gave me incorrect information. Thanks to all for the suggestions & info. I will definitely check out SuperDuper!

And I hope I will not have to take advantage of Apple's 'four logic board failures, get a new iBook free' offer.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2005, 06:13 PM

BUT...do make sure your data is backed up. In many cases, repairs [u]other than logic board replacement[/i] call for reformatting the hard drive and reloading the OS. As noted previously, cover yourself and back up your data!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Btw, if your logic board is toast, afaik, there is NO way you can make a backup yourself.
That's not entirely true. The Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program covers an issue affecting video output from the iBook. The machine will still function even if this specific portion of the logic board has failed.

FYI, when I had my iBook logic board replaced, the tech told me that I would probably have to reinstall the OS for the system to not confuse the new logic board with the old one, but he left it up to me (they usually do it by default to test the new board, but he knew me). Sure enough, when I got home the OS wouldn't recognize the modem. Reinstalled the OS and it worked fine. So far, I've only managed to get up to two logic board replacements ...

I've heard of Apple wiping hard drives and removing (and not returning) any aftermarket add ons (such as RAM). Take your RAM and Airport card out before you send it in.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 03:21 PM

I have never heard of Apple removing third-party RAM and not returning it; it just doesn't make sense to me that Apple would do such a thing.

Apple DID remove third-party RAM from an iBook I sent in and told me that it was defective. The RAM supplier replaced it ASAP.

When I sent in another iBook about two months ago the AppleCare instructions specifically stated that Airport cards and all RAM should remain installed in the Mac. This makes sense to me since some problems can be caused by faulty hardware. The iBook was returned intact.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo
Apple DID remove third-party RAM from an iBook I sent in and told me that it was defective. The RAM supplier replaced it ASAP
That is generally what they do. Third party ram, defective or not, is often identified as defective and the responsible element in a problem.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
That is generally what they do. Third party ram, defective or not, is often identified as defective and the responsible element in a problem.
What a load of bull. Apple should have means to determine if RAM is really defective or not. If they really by default blame third party RAM...
-t

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 06:56 PM

I have heard of that, which is why I noted that the RAM supplier replaced the RAM without a fuss. So either it WAS defective RAM or the RAM merchant has learned not to question Apple service techs, whether they think that they are correct or not. But note that the RAM was returned and not just seized as if it was contraband...

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 10:06 PM

I've had the logic board changed twice. I found my Crucial memory stick back in place with the Airport card and my harddisk was not erased.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pat++
I've had the logic board changed twice. I found my Crucial memory stick back in place with the Airport card and my harddisk was not erased.
That's how it's supposed to be.
Everything else I would expect from a Dell repair tech, but not from Apple...

-t

Shanachie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shanachie
The screen on my 14" iBook went blank recently and a visit to the Apple store confirmed the logic board needs to be replaced. I was told that everything on hard disk would be lost when this is done, but that they could transfer the data off my machine for a charge. BUT they said that applications and music files (of which I have 7GB!) could NOT be taken off my hard drive, since they are copyrighted material.
!
To update the story, I got my iBook back from Apple and all apps, files, music, etc. are intact and working. No missing RAM or Airport card. The system seems to be running slower than before, but for now I'm just relieved to have all my "stuff" back and working. Having dodged this bullet, I'm getting SuperDuper! and an external HD this weekend in case there are any further problems.

Apple's turnaround was quicker than I expected. I dropped the unit off at the Apple Store (SoHo, NYC) last Sat. at 2pm; it was ready Thursday afternoon.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2005, 06:27 PM

I'm getting SuperDuper! and an external HD this weekend in case there are any further problems.
You are a smart person... You will sleep a lot better knowing that if the unthinkable happens that you have a back-up of all your data.

Kaps
Jun 30, 2005, 10:43 AM

One should always back up before sending it in! I have a friend who sent in his iBook for the logic board replacement and without any warning, they completely erased his hard drive. They were nice enough to install the latest version of Panther (it was a while ago) and iLife, but that is not much comfort when your hard drive is completely erased. Luckily he did have a back-up (not completely up to date because without a screen display because of a faulty logic board, how are you supposed to back everything up if you don't have access to another computer for target disk mode). That logic board failed as well and he had to send it in again. This time he made a back up before sending it and put a piece of masking take on the computer stating "PLEASE DO NOT ERASE THE HARD DRIVE." When he got the computer back, the hard drive was erased. He didn't lose anything since he had a back up, but it was added hassle. I probably was more upset then him. Moral of the story: they do erase hard drives so make sure you are backed up. I don't know how often and under what circumstances they do this. Perhaps this was not the norm, but it did happen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules